• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking for a destination...

Jon

Wave to motorcycle cops
Looking for a destination about 1500 miles from southeast NY, giving me a 3000 mile round trip. we just finished a trip to Deals Gap and covered 9 states and 2045 miles. I am open to an ideas of places to go and things to see. Please tell me what you got for a biker trip to see "stuff" thanks gang.

Rocky Mountains!!

Well, NYC to Kearney, NE is just under 1500 miles! :laugh

But..... if you want some scenery with twisties to ride, I don't think you can beat the Rocky Mountains!! Rocky Mountain National Park would be your logical entry into the Rockies in Colorado (1800 miles from NYC). Or, Yellowstone National Park?

If you don't want to run that far, how about the Ozarks? 1100 miles or so from NYC, plus a stop over at BMW MOA headquarters?

Post a ride report, wherever you go!!

Some possible trips:

1. Key West Florida
2. St. Johns Newfoundland (which has my vote)
3. Ironwood Michigan (a trip to the UP) This one is only 1200 miles but would give you 300 miles for exploration.
4. A partial loop around the Great Lakes.

Good Luck

Backroad ADV

Ditto on Newfoundland! Take the short ferry into Porte au Basque, do the Port au Port Peninsula Stephenville (Stephenville is a GREAT party town), do the boat tour in Gros Moune, take the ferry from St Barbe to Blanc Sablon, Quebec, go north till pave ends, have a beer, take the ferry back... Go to St Anthony's NFLD, then on Georges Street in St Johns (St Johns has more bars per capita than any city in the world). A whale watching tour is great here also... Take the long ferry our of Argentia back to N. Sydney Nova Scotia.....

New England and up

The Cabot Trail in northern Nova Scotia fits the distance parameters.

You can take Mass 2 across that state and head up into Maine. The Bar Harbor KOA is a nice spot, and Bar Harbor is one of my favorite places to rest up. Whale watching and cheap lobster dinners are part of the attraction.

You'll have to take the land route across New Brunswick as the Cat Ferry is now closed. I chose that route even while the ferry was in service to save a few bucks.

Or, you could cross Vermont and catch some nice twisty roads and scenery across New England on the way to Nova Scotia.

Harry

Don't pick a destination, pick a direction and ride the backroads. Many of the most interesting adventures I have had have been at places I stumbled on riding through the country. I eat at a local Mom and Pop restaurant (frequently suggested by a gas station attendant) and strike up conversations with the local and frequently retired customers. They love to talk about the local area and suggest places and things of interest.

Don't pick a destination, pick a direction and ride the backroads. Many of the most interesting adventures I have had have been at places I stumbled on riding through the country. I eat at a local Mom and Pop restaurant (frequently suggested by a gas station attendant) and strike up conversations with the local and frequently retired customers. They love to talk about the local area and suggest places and things of interest.

What he said, the best riding is just wandering around aimlessly, you will be amazed at what you can see. I generally try to avoid "destinations" as it takes the spontaneity out of the ride.

I have set up a home base just S of Williamsport PA dozens of times and average about 300 miles/day just exploring back roads, and goat paths. I know roads the locals don't.

You could go back to the Smokies and easily cover 3000 miles, never hitting the same roads twice, and if you look hard enough, you will find ones better than the GAP

Back