• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Hotel or camp poll

Are you going to hotel or camp at the national?

• Camp - I'm no sissy

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • Hotel - I'm not a caveman

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Hotel - but I'm bringing my camping stuff

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Bed and Breakfast - I love scones and comforters

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
When getting from point A to point B I'll motel, but if I'm staying in one place for more than a day I'll camp. I too am frugal [can you say cheap]

I'll be camping. I like to, umm, spend a little time in the beer tent, and don't want no drunk riding my bike back to the motel.

Last year I picked up a bug on my way to Trenton and spent the first night in my tent coughing and hacking my brains out. Left my tent pitched and got a skanky room at the Days Inn.

Looking forward to this one.

Re: Camp or not to camp, that is the question!

mysticranger said:
I have spent considerable time in Charleston in July on business, and you can expect it to be HOT and MUGGY! If the Chemical plants are up and running, the humid evening air can be quite fragrant as well! Especially if you are staying up the Kanawha River towards St. Albans or Nitro.

Now, that really makes me want to change my plans and attend this one. Yummmeeee!

MarkF

Chemical Plants

OK, you're right, if the chemical plants are kicking..... But then I'm not staying at one of the motels near them. The wind would have to do one hell of a swing around to make the smell noticable in downtown where the camping is, and then we (at least me) are going to be doing one of about three things at the rally.
1. Riding the bike, and that won't be in downtown Charleston just as it wasn't in downtown Trenton or downtown Midland.
2. Hanging with the family since we are having a rally where there are enough things for the teenagers to do without getting in trouble that they can actually go with me, which means honey can come too.
3. Did I mention that I'm staying at a motel with a pool and Jacuzzi that will feel really good after a long day riding.
4. Attending meetings, lectures, vendor booths INDOORS where it's not going to be hot and muggy.
5. Eating real food without having to worry about carrying it and is it legal to transport 20 pound propane tanks into Canada and NO OVERPRICED STALE VENDOR FOOD!!!!!
7. Sleeping in a real bed after a full day of riding and socializing with old and soon to be friends, and waking up to the sound of an alarm clock (or not) instead of the sound of "Bill the human buzz saw" in the next tent. (No offense Bill, but your wife married that sound, I didn't)

Sorry, there were 7 there. No, I'm not typically a hotel person, but when the facilities get crowded (more than a normal club rally) and the venue gets long (more than a weekend), I believe I'll enjoy the pleasures of a nice motel room

Dave

Camping it is! Away from tv radio and the internet

Yah!
:rocker

I'm doing the Hotel route this year. Maybe too hot down there for camping in comfort like in Canada last year.

Russ

Accomodations on the fly...

We're hotelling it and then flying off to Paonia from there. I must have a shower before I bake on the Plains.
:brow

Unregistered said:
I'm doing the Hotel route this year. Maybe too hot down there for camping in comfort like in Canada last year.

Russ

I usually camp, but been thinking about the heat also. I'll check the weather Thursday before leaving Friday & make my mind up then. I've been there in July before & it can be a scorcher! (might have to change the name of the rally if it is) Don't have a reservation for a room, I'll just wing it!

Camping & hoteling

I'll be riding and camping my way there from Vermont, via Virginia and NC. I just made reservations at the Motel6 in Charleston ($35/night) for Weds - Sat. If its miserable or the rally site is a bust, I've got a place, if things work out I'll be camping whereever there's some shade, be it the University or Quiet Camping. But it doesn't look like much in the way of trees at the quiet camping area. I've looked at the pictures online, but haven't seen much other then grass, anyone know if there's some shade trees in that park?

Being a global road warrior most of the year, I collect free motel nights like most riders collect green streaks on their windshields. When it is my time to relax, I like to do it with my own shower and bathroom. I hope that I can find a taxi from the beer tent to Nitro, where my room is located. :cowsleep Hey a free room beats a free campsite anyday.

Back