• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

coast to coast this summer ...

lkniess

I'm in the very preliminary planning of my trip for this summer. I will be riding from Beaverton. Oregon and going to the BMOA rally in PA and continuing on to the Atlantic coast and returning to the Pacific coast. I plan on leaving some time after July 4 and need to be back in Oregon by August 7th. The return trip may be direct as the time frame between the rally end and the "must be back" date is a bit tight. I am looking for others that may want to ride along and I am looking for suggestions of routing and must do/see things along the way. I will turn 60 this year and hope to camp most the time if my physical condition allows! I'm not adverse to staying in a hotel/motel if the weather really sucks. Any and all suggestions will be graciously accepted!

looking forward to a lot of info!
Thanks
larry

My check list

If I were doing that ride, I'd consider the following, at least:

1. Stay North; it's cooler.
2. Make sure you and a riding partner are compatible.
. Chances are, you aren't.
3. Make sure you have a good towing insurance. Like AAA RV+
4. Consider MedJet Assist. They saved my life last summer.
5. Take several debit or credit cards.
. Notify the card companies of your plan to travel.
6. Take your passport, just in case you want to travel some in Canada.
7. Have a tire and oil change plan.
8. Take your Anonymous Book.
9. Make a loose plan for taking secondary highways, etc.
. You can always fall back on the Interstates.
10. To plan, make a list of places you might like to see or stop at.
. It's best to do that on the way to not from your destination.
. Chances are , you'll be in a rush to get home, making sightseeing hard.

All good points

Thanks!
You make good points. I'm not sure if I will have a riding buddy. I may find someone while on the road. I plan on Medjet assist, have the AAA and plan on carrying a SPOT location device. Will I need tire plans if I leave with new tires? Oild change will not be a big issue and I always cary my Anonymous Book!
Thanks
Larry

Me too;

Leaving ClovisCA July 2,but going way South in my travels to PA Rally. Texas Coast and Mississippi, then North. You're welcome if you have time to go my way. Camper here and GSA1200. ELY,Nv. is a likely first night out for me as I frequent the KOA there. Best regards to ya and your travels East. See ya there maybe and I'll look for Oregon Plates. I don't expect to see many West Coast plates at the rally. We are a small group! Randy

Back