• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

Called the Tigard Oregon dealer for 600 mile service quote. Was told just under $400. On a whim I called the dealer in Salem. They quoted $150-$200. Made the appointment.

Did you talk to Doug or that girl? Doug told me $200 for a R1200R... I added the gearbox for $67.. I can't imagine the RT is $200 more for the same service... maybe it is :scratch

The guy in Salem I called (who has a good rep I hear) wanted to re-torque my heads for $120 extra.... something the new R's don't need.

Another Alternative in Oregon

I realize that BMW means "Bring More Wallet", but WOW!

I just returned home after my 600 mile service on my 2011 R1200RT, and had to sit down.... $392.00?

The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?

Has anyone else paid this much? :scratch

I purchased my 2011 R1200RT from the BMW dealer in Salem, although I live north of Seattle. (They had the bike I wanted and they were my closest option). Turned out they were really fair on the pricing and as I was getting ready to ride away, the owner cautioned me about how some dealers inflate the cost of the 600 mile service. He said to expect around $250 to $280. I had my initial service done at RideWest in north Seattle and the pricing was in line with my expectations. If possible, you might consider the dealer in Salem. Not the fanciest of dealerships, but good people who seem to know their stuff. Hope this helps.

Did you talk to Doug or that girl? Doug told me $200 for a R1200R...

I talked with that girl. When I had my F8ST in for service she was very knowledgeable
about everything including pricing.

Salem BMW's posted hourly rate is about half of Tigards.

Right now I'm in Grand Junction, CO. Was hoping to have the 6k done here but they're closed today and I can't wait around for another day or two. So will head out first AM and look for a dealer as I head east. Did the oil change before I left home. Last year had Hermy's in Penn do the service on my F8. Like them a lot so will probably wait till I'm in the area. I don't think a extra thou or two will make a difference.

I talked with that girl. When I had my F8ST in for service she was very knowledgeable
about everything including pricing.

I had the exact opposite experience with her... I asked the cost of a service and she basically said "It's always different and there's no way to know" .. to which I said "WTF?" :banghead She then dug up some kind of list that BMW gives them and gave me a price range of $300-$500... I've since talked to Doug who gave me a firm price on the 600 service (as I mentioned above)..

anyway, IF the Salem shop rate is 1/2, then in theory my 600 mile service would be well under $120... that's actually quite amazing.

I took my bike in for new tires. I called to ask about tires to go to the Reg Pridmore CLASS. I was given a price breakdown of $255 for the tires, vs. ordering them from Reg for $245. Then I go in & the price becomes $295... It was a different guy than I spoke with on the phone. He ended up lowering the price to $265, but made me feel like I was busting his balls over it... I didn't have a whole lot of choice at that point... Total was $414 for 2 new tires...

Then I go to pick it up & he informs me that my rear pads were very thin, so they put new ones on... Since I had already ordered CL pads F&R from Beemer Boneyard, I was less than happy. I asked how much the pads were & he said $105... I was getting less happy by the minute... The CL ones were $35. He offered to discount them 25%... uh, no. No call to me to authorize...

He was going to swap my old ones back in, but it was closing time & the tech was gone. After much hemming & hawing, he asked if I would bring them back next time I was in town... Yep, no problem. Maybe I should charge shop rate back to them for my time...

I think a tire changer is in my future next time I need tires. 2 changes & I can pay for half... My buddy will go the other half...

I don't see how a shop should get away with a repair without authorization.

I don't see how a shop should get away with a repair without authorization.

not motorcycle, but Kuni BMW in Beaverton did that to me... I took in my X5 for new tires and came out with tires, a VERY expensive alignment and a battery charge... some $500 more than I was originally told..... talked to the service manager and they were comped ... reason I gave was "Didn't ask me first!"

The shop in Grand Junction is also a Harley and KTM dealer. When by Sunday and the posted hours were M thru S. Went inside and the BMW which in the back of the Harley shop was closed!

Me too!

I was recently taken to the tune of $437.53, essentially to change the oil and rear drive lube by a Cleveland OH area dealer. It was NOT Sills, All Seasons, or Mathias. My previous experience with two of those has been very positive and reasonable. This was my first experience with this dealer, and my last.

I'm sure the rear drive lube was made from platinum or something at $47.83 for 180ml of the stuff. That is more than $220 for a quart! Plus $15.42 for fuel additive...what nonsense is that?

I want dealers to be successful, and I am fine paying reasonable cost for reasonable work, but this is over the top IMHO and from what I read. I'll take my work (and bike and gear purchases) back to Mathias from now on.

Guess I could blame myself for not pinning down the dealer on exactly what was to be done and for how much up-front.

Jim with a sore rear end.

I wish I would have read this tread before yesterday. Jim I had the same experience with the same dealer. I too got the fuel additive and the lecture about the evils of ethanol. The odd thing is they must have been out of the rear lube made from platinum mine only cost $22.09???

Looks like I need to find a new dealer...

just got done doing a full maintenance service on my 2007 RT that I bought last month. The price for the parts are what they are and you have several on line suppliers to choose from. But doing the service yourself, provides one with the knowledge of how these things are put together and aids in future troubleshooting. You can save a lot based on the high labor rates that a bmw shop charges. To me, there is nothing better than working on the bike, listening to from the 70s with your favorite beer close by on ice. It doesn't get any better than that!

Had a club member that just got back into road bikes think that the 600 service was free like they do for cars Ha Ha...$264 You would think they would do it for free or just charge for supplies so to get people to get used to bringing their bike there for service, tires etc... Thats what the dealers do?

Service taboo.

I wonder if anybody can provide the proof that any service (including 600mile) must be done by a dealer?
If you are capable of doing 6K service why can't you do 600 mile sevice?

As of me, I'm doing all of my maintenance and other work myself, at this point I have my third BMW which I did not have the 600 mile service performed by the dealer (prior to that, just like you, I was spending my money on that and finally I decided to do it myself) and I never had any problems with warranty issues.
After all (except of BMW specific computer program) there is nothing different that the dealer does than what I do.
I realize that this is my humble opinion and no one has to agree with this.

Happy wrenching.

just got done doing a full maintenance service on my 2007 rt that i bought last month. The price for the parts are what they are and you have several on line suppliers to choose from. But doing the service yourself, provides one with the knowledge of how these things are put together and aids in future troubleshooting. You can save a lot based on the high labor rates that a bmw shop charges. To me, there is nothing better than working on the bike, listening to from the 70s with your favorite beer close by on ice. It doesn't get any better than that!

+1

Back