Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    The gear oil change is not usually done till the 12,000 mile check. It is not on the BMW check list for the 600 mile. Having said that my dealer also changed mine at 600 miles. We discussed this.

Jack
    If you're talking about changing the fluid in the final drive, it is most certainly a requirement at the 600-mile service and has been for at least two years. The current service intervals specified by BMW for the FD fluid change are initially at 600 miles, then every 12,000 or every two years.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

Cowboyatheart
    Quote Originally Posted by kctay View Post
    Well, we really only have on shop in the Portland, Oregon area. I didn't want to jepordize my relationship with them. But as a guy that owns 5 auto repair shops, I feel hosed.

Another curious item is when I bought the bike, I asked what the 600 mile service costs, and the guy said around $250.00.

Thought I was doing the right thing having my bike serviced where I bought it. I know I won't take it back, unless it is a warranty item.
    Hi, Just curious. Did you ask them how much when you booked the appointment?
    And how do you handle your customers? Since you own 5 auto repair shops? That should be a clear clue on how you discuss with your bike service center.

I personally don't do work on my bike. I'm not a mechanic. However, I always confirm how much before I give them my bike. I don't want a surprise.
    Moringa, your body & brain will thank you! PM for discounts Smart Mix at TasteMoringa.com
    XM3 Energy, real energy for the body & brain, no sugar high, XM3.Energy

I just called the above Oregon dealer and chatted with the service manager, Doug... he quoted me $200 for the 600 mile service on an R1200R, and I wanted to add gearbox oil which he's adding $62 for.. so all and all, a good price, especially since the nearby independent guy wanted $400 and that didn't include the gearbox, but he wanted to re-torque the heads (unnecessary for the 2012's)..

Maybe the RT is more expensive due to body faring?
    2016 K1600GTL - All Optons
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer. - GONE
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit - GONE

243.06 for my 600 mile service, but that also includes earplugs that were 6 bucks and change. I'm happy with the service and they got the bike done when I wanted it (one day turnaround). As per the thread, this is a '11 RT.
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

I was recently taken to the tune of $437.53, essentially to change the oil and rear drive lube by a Cleveland OH area dealer. It was NOT Sills, All Seasons, or Mathias. My previous experience with two of those has been very positive and reasonable. This was my first experience with this dealer, and my last.

I'm sure the rear drive lube was made from platinum or something at $47.83 for 180ml of the stuff. That is more than $220 for a quart! Plus $15.42 for fuel additive...what nonsense is that?

I want dealers to be successful, and I am fine paying reasonable cost for reasonable work, but this is over the top IMHO and from what I read. I'll take my work (and bike and gear purchases) back to Mathias from now on.

Guess I could blame myself for not pinning down the dealer on exactly what was to be done and for how much up-front.

Jim with a sore rear end.

Frank Ferrante

2011 R1200RT 600 Mile Service Cost

I own a 2011 RT and I had my 600 mile service done in March by Max BMW in CT. Here is the breakdown.
    Labor 2.5 Hours - $212.50 ($85 per hour)
    Gasket Ring - $.50
    Gasket Ring - $.64
    10W50 Oil - $30 ($7.50 per)
    Oil Filter - $15.13
    O Ring - $1.33
    Saf-XO Final Drive Oil - $14.34 ($4.78 per)
    Shop Supplies - $11.00
    Sales Tax - $22.89
    Total $308.33
    What drives me crazy is shop supplies and tax. But for the most part it is fair.
    Frank Ferrante
    2011 BMW R1200RT
    2011 Triumph Bonneville T100

ozonewanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by kctay View Post
    But as a guy that owns 5 auto repair shops, I feel hosed.
    Wow, that must really hurt with your knowledgeable background. Maybe he'll barter for services...

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I own a 2011 RT and I had my 600 mile service done in March by Max BMW in CT. Here is the breakdown.
    Labor 2.5 Hours - $212.50 ($85 per hour)
    Gasket Ring - $.50
    Gasket Ring - $.64
    10W50 Oil - $30 ($7.50 per)
    Oil Filter - $15.13
    O Ring - $1.33
    Saf-XO Final Drive Oil - $14.34 ($4.78 per)
    Shop Supplies - $11.00
    Sales Tax - $22.89
    Total $308.33
    What drives me crazy is shop supplies and tax. But for the most part it is fair.
    $14.34 for final drive oil (180cc) equals about $76.00 a quart.

This stuff is not that hard to do so I do it myself. My cost is probably under $50 for the above supplies and about 2 hours of my time. (includes checking valves)
    2013 Triumph Trophy
    2007 R1200RT Broken driveshaft @ 54,000 miles. Come on BMW!
    2000 R1100rt sold @ 72,000 Great Bike!
    Iron Butt #24605

It's really "cute" IMHO how so many motorcyclists consider themselves doing something economical by owning a motorcycle and that in general motorcycling should be cheap as a reward.

Reality is ... owning a BMW motorcycle is ZERO different than owning a Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW car. Service bills like this are simply the norm in this league.

There's no relationship whatever to maintenance on your father's '56 Buick nor any relationship to fixing your Honda 305.

It's a $20K toy for heaven's sake.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

I took my 2012 r1200rt in last week to Engle Motors, Kansas City. I had changed my own oil the week earlier, so they performed the final drive change, checked over the entire bike, did the throttle balance computer check etc. I spent $174.00 and that included me taking home 4 quarts of bmw oil, filter and crush washer. I was very pleased and surprised.

Great dealership, I stayed with my bike the entire time and ask many questions while the service was being performed. They even called me this week to follow up on my satisfaction.

I know the RT costs a bit more than my R at the Oregon dealer just because of the extra labor of removing farings, but it's not much more.
    2016 K1600GTL - All Optons
    2012 R1200R - Classic / ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Sports Windshield, Computer. - GONE
    2005 Honda Shadow 750 Spirit - GONE

Frank Ferrante
    I didn't buy my RT because I knew it was cheap to run. I don't have the room to work on my own bike nor the desire. I think many of us have the dealers do maintenance for different reasons. Warranties is one. I can understand doing your own maintenance if you put 20,000 miles per year. Unfortunately many of us don't.
    Frank Ferrante
    2011 BMW R1200RT
    2011 Triumph Bonneville T100

The USA camheads are "0440" models acc to BMW. This is a 600 mile check for the "0450" R1200 GS models 2010 and newer. The two are the same except for checking the spokes. BMW calls the 600 mile check the "Running-in" Check.

Setting service-due date and countdown distance
    Reading fault memory with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
    Engine-oil change, with filter
    Changing oil in rear-wheel drive
    Checking brake-fluid level, front brakes
    Checking brake-fluid level, rear brakes
    Checking freedom of movement of Bowden cables and checking for kinks and chafing
    Checking tyre tread depth and tyre pressure
    Checking spoke tension, adjusting if necessary
    Checking lights and signaling equipment
    Function test, engine start suppression
    Check the synchronization
    Final inspection and check of roadworthiness
    Reading fault memory with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
    Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation

Most of the above is blah-blah except for the fluid changes and the synchronization. I did the work myself and cost just a few dollars for fluids and filter. Warranty is not a problem as I document it on a spreadsheet and keep receipts for supplies. I find great satisfaction in going to the DIY section of this forum, getting my wrenches out, turning on some tunes and learning about my m/cycle.

The valve checks are easy to do. I think an 8 year old could be shown how to do it.

BTW, I am constantly amazed of the difference between m/cycles and autos maintenance schedules. Other than oil changes, brake inspections, etc., my 2007 Corvette has its first real scheduled maintenance at 100,000 miles ... for spark plugs.
    Last edited by Norms 427; 07-08-2012 at 03:04 PM.
    Now: '12 R1200RT Midnight Blue Metallic / '11 Ural Patrol 2WD ridden to Alaska / '09 KLR 650 / '05 HD Heritage Softail / '08 Harley Sportster 1200C / '85 Yamaha VMax bought new. I wasn't ready to say goodbye: www.shaunlunt.typepad.com

Norm
    Called the Tigard Oregon dealer for 600 mile service quote. Was told just under $400. On a whim I called the dealer in Salem. They quoted $150-$200. Made the appointment.

Final tab, $204, which included stuff to my own 6k service,4 quarts oil, filter, and crush ring. Had some noobe questions for the tech, SM said go on back. Tech was very helpful.

Am in Moab, Utah now(on my way to Sedalia). Planning to take bike to Grand Junction dealer for 6k service. Did the oil change before leaving home.

BTW: Just love this bike compared to the F8ST(doesn't corner as well, but good enough). Cruise at 80 all day and feel like you're doing 55. Cop in Cal pulled me over for doing 83. Told him I didn't realize it. Explained about bike change. Told me to get used to it quick or I'd be in trouble with the next CHIP.

Woooh, My dealer throws the 600 service in with the new bike. No charge!

I really like Bentonville BMW. In some of the best riding in the central part of the country.
    Rob Lessen

'07 R12RT
    '14 R12RT LC