Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rally Rat

600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

I realize that BMW means "Bring More Wallet", but WOW!

I just returned home after my 600 mile service on my 2011 R1200RT, and had to sit down.... $392.00?

The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?

Has anyone else paid this much?

D-Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by kctay View Post
    I realize that BMW means "Bring More Wallet", but WOW!

I just returned home after my 600 mile service on my 2011 R1200RT, and had to sit down.... $392.00?

The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?

Has anyone else paid this much?
    That seems pretty steep. I think mine was $230. What was the break-down?

Rally Rat
    Work performed by Richard Smith (RDS) = $290.00
    gasket ring = $.64
    Oil filter = $14.00
    Oil 10W40 #4 @$8.50= $34.00
    gasket ring = $.64
    BMW Synth Gear Oil 75W = $24.59
    O-ring = $1.33

Sub total = $365.20

Then they tagged me for $25.00 in shop supplies?
    Hazardous Materials = $2.00

So the summary is:

Labor: $290.00
    Parts: $75.20
    Shop supplies: $25.00
    Hazardous Materials: $2.00

Grand Total: $392.20

Edit: And I had no accessories to remove, nothing exta.

EXPATRIATED
    Quote Originally Posted by kctay View Post
    Work performed by Richard Smith (RDS) = $290.00
    gasket ring = $.64
    Oil filter = $14.00
    Oil 10W40 #4 @$8.50= $34.00
    gasket ring = $.64
    BMW Synth Gear Oil 75W = $24.59
    O-ring = $1.33

Sub total = $365.20

Then they tagged me for $25.00 in shop supplies?
    Hazardous Materials = $2.00

So the summary is:

Labor: $290.00
    Parts: $75.20
    Shop supplies: $25.00
    Hazardous Materials: $2.00

Grand Total: $392.20

Edit: And I had no accessories to remove, nothing exta.
    Well, I know how you can save $290 right off the bat

From the service checklist here:

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceS...1200RT_600.pdf

I see "tightening cylinder head fasteners" and "adjusting valve clearances" among the other checks. But I read above, "The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?"

So did they or didn't they? Are they supposed to as the A&S Cycles web post says, or is that no obsolete? If obsolete, starting when; on what models?
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Rally Rat
    Paul,

Check the date on that maintenance schedule sheet; 9/2006.

It's been updated at least twice since then. Notice the final drive fluid change is not mentioned. And on that note, $24.59 for 180ml of gear lube? You can buy a quart for less and get a multitude of changes out of it.

The bill is ridiculous for what is actually done on the current models. If the total work time exceeds an hour I'd like to know for what? If they pulled the valve covers to check clearances and torque, add an hour to 90 minutes. Unless the record shows some additional work beyond an oil change and FD change the time is way out of line.

The markup on the gear oil is amusing. A bottle does 5 FD fluid changes and retails for less than the charge on the bill. Over 500% markup on 180 ml of lube. They should have at least given you the rest of a bottle for your own use...

I don't know why you worry about a relationship with a shop that overcharges- I wouldn't. There are many places to get info and any dealer will do a recall service. And you can get warranty stuff covered on the road by any dealer- its not a big deal. I buy my parts by mail from places. My local independent auto shops do a lot more work for a lot less money than a BMW bike dealer where one mechanic is typically supporting the salary of a service manager and maybe part of the parts guys salary too.

A GS-911 is clearly in your future unless you like being overcharged on a regular basis- I'll bet your dealer wants $40-50 to hook the bike up and check codes/reset the service indicator, a 10 minute job if you're slow with a GS-911. The routine service bills are one reason so many of us do our own though I do it just as much to be familiar with machine so I can quickly deal with any issues that happen while touring. Hexheads/camheads are so simple there is no reason not to do your own routine service and repair. Its not until you get into one of the jobs that requires splitting the bike that any real effort, unique skill, or special tools are needed. And even those jobs are tackled by some of the more ambitious owners just to make sure all the bolts that came out go back..

Rally Rat
    They didn't pull the valve covers, check the valve clearance, or check the torque on the heads. They no longer do that on 2010 and up on the 600 mile.

I took my bike in for new tires. I called to ask about tires to go to the Reg Pridmore CLASS. I was given a price breakdown of $255 for the tires, vs. ordering them from Reg for $245. Then I go in & the price becomes $295... It was a different guy than I spoke with on the phone. He ended up lowering the price to $265, but made me feel like I was busting his balls over it... I didn't have a whole lot of choice at that point... Total was $414 for 2 new tires...

Then I go to pick it up & he informs me that my rear pads were very thin, so they put new ones on... Since I had already ordered CL pads F&R from Beemer Boneyard, I was less than happy. I asked how much the pads were & he said $105... I was getting less happy by the minute... The CL ones were $35. He offered to discount them 25%... uh, no. No call to me to authorize...

He was going to swap my old ones back in, but it was closing time & the tech was gone. After much hemming & hawing, he asked if I would bring them back next time I was in town... Yep, no problem. Maybe I should charge shop rate back to them for my time...

I think a tire changer is in my future next time I need tires. 2 changes & I can pay for half... My buddy will go the other half...
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

The OP might want to take the "labour cost" to perform the service with BMW NA. If they are "gouging" at the 600 mile service I shudder to think what they do at the other services.

Good luck.

PS: I was quoted 280 (parts and labour) for my 20 K (30000 KM) service.
    2008 R12RT (Blue)
    1986 R80RT (Silver)

Member of the Loonie-Tics. MOA 292.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrube View Post
    I took my bike in for new tires. I called to ask about tires to go to the Reg Pridmore CLASS. I was given a price breakdown of $255 for the tires, vs. ordering them from Reg for $245. Then I go in & the price becomes $295... It was a different guy than I spoke with on the phone. He ended up lowering the price to $265, but made me feel like I was busting his balls over it... I didn't have a whole lot of choice at that point... Total was $414 for 2 new tires...

Then I go to pick it up & he informs me that my rear pads were very thin, so they put new ones on... Since I had already ordered CL pads F&R from Beemer Boneyard, I was less than happy. I asked how much the pads were & he said $105... I was getting less happy by the minute... The CL ones were $35. He offered to discount them 25%... uh, no. No call to me to authorize...

He was going to swap my old ones back in, but it was closing time & the tech was gone. After much hemming & hawing, he asked if I would bring them back next time I was in town... Yep, no problem. Maybe I should charge shop rate back to them for my time...

I think a tire changer is in my future next time I need tires. 2 changes & I can pay for half... My buddy will go the other half...
    I don't see how a shop should get away with a repair without authorization.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

Jack Herbst
    Quote Originally Posted by Expatriated View Post
    Well, I know how you can save $290 right off the bat
    The gear oil change is not usually done till the 12,000 mile check. It is not on the BMW check list for the 600 mile. Having said that my dealer also changed mine at 600 miles. We discussed this.

Jack

Rally Rat
    Jarhead,

I know you have a 2011 RT, do you have a breakdown of the charges for your 600 mile service from the dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    The gear oil change is not usually done till the 12,000 mile check. It is not on the BMW check list for the 600 mile. Having said that my dealer also changed mine at 600 miles. We discussed this.

Jack
    If you're talking about changing the fluid in the final drive, it is most certainly a requirement at the 600-mile service and has been for at least two years. The current service intervals specified by BMW for the FD fluid change are initially at 600 miles, then every 12,000 or every two years.
    Mark
    2015 R 1200 GS Adventure

I think I paid 2 hundred and change for mine. That sounds really high. Good dealers are hard to find. I go to Second wind BMW and I have never had anything but great service.

scott