• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

I think I paid 2 hundred and change for mine. That sounds really high. Good dealers are hard to find. I go to Second wind BMW and I have never had anything but great service.

scott

Tire Change!

Expatriot -

Hop over to the ADVRider site and there must be 20 or better DIY info threads on tire changes.

Beware -

1. TPM sensors are expensive
2. Rims are expensive
3. Tires can kill you VERY dead!

Change a few tires on a small dirt bike and you will get the hang of it.

Not doubting you (and I love the attitude) but use discretion in that area.

OK - Off the soap box now - my apologies!

Expatriot -

Hop over to the ADVRider site and there must be 20 or better DIY info threads on tire changes.

Beware -

1. TPM sensors are expensive
2. Rims are expensive
3. Tires can kill you VERY dead!

Change a few tires on a small dirt bike and you will get the hang of it.

Not doubting you (and I love the attitude) but use discretion in that area.

OK - Off the soap box now - my apologies!

I'm on ADVRider alot,too. That's where I'm getting alot of info. And from "the YouTube" as George W said.

TPM Sensors I don't have. I think I've found a way to prevent damaging the rims. #3 I'll agree 100% on.

Hopefully I'm still around to post my experiences here for other to learn after I'm done.

Thanks for the input. I'll post my misadventures :)

They didn't kiss me either

Well, I had my 600 service done at the Orlando BMW dealer:

Labor 52 394.33
Gasket Ring 1 .64
BMW Spec Perfo 4 34.00
Oil Filter 1 14.00
AMSOIL 80W90 1 10.50
O-ring 1 2.66
Gasket ring 1 1.28
waste disposal 1 3.00

total labor 394.33
total parts 63.08
total lubricant 3.00
total repair 460.41 plus tax

I lost my breath when I got the bill. I occasionally looked into the service area, even walked through it talking with the financial guy and I saw the my bike on the lift but never saw the service tech working on it. I did see him air blowing a carb or throttle body from a older blue K75 or K100 next to it that most of it's external engine parts off of it.

Chatting with another service tech it appeared that the fellow that worked on the K bike and my bike are on 'his side of the shop' and the fellow I talked to working on a GS has his own side of the shop. But I didn't ask about this point. It just seems this tech was double-dipping the service claim

I waited while the "work" was being done and total time was less than 3 hours in the shop.

Now I guess they synced the throttle bodies as the engine was a lot smoother afterwards.

600 mile service

I believe bmw has a shop rate book that recommends the time required for a specific service, most shops can complete the service in less time and charge accordingly some just charge you the shop rate. buyer beware ask before having the work done how they charge. or dealer here in orange county calif. is fair in his rates, I do my own oil changes for engine, tranny, and final drive he gets to do the rest including tires works out fine

The gear oil change is not usually done till the 12,000 mile check. It is not on the BMW check list for the 600 mile. Having said that my dealer also changed mine at 600 miles. We discussed this.

Jack

If you're talking about changing the fluid in the final drive, it is most certainly a requirement at the 600-mile service and has been for at least two years. The current service intervals specified by BMW for the FD fluid change are initially at 600 miles, then every 12,000 or every two years.

Well, we really only have on shop in the Portland, Oregon area. I didn't want to jepordize my relationship with them. But as a guy that owns 5 auto repair shops, I feel hosed.

Another curious item is when I bought the bike, I asked what the 600 mile service costs, and the guy said around $250.00.

Thought I was doing the right thing having my bike serviced where I bought it. I know I won't take it back, unless it is a warranty item.

Hi, Just curious. Did you ask them how much when you booked the appointment?
And how do you handle your customers? Since you own 5 auto repair shops? That should be a clear clue on how you discuss with your bike service center.

I personally don't do work on my bike. I'm not a mechanic. However, I always confirm how much before I give them my bike. I don't want a surprise.

I just called the above Oregon dealer and chatted with the service manager, Doug... he quoted me $200 for the 600 mile service on an R1200R, and I wanted to add gearbox oil which he's adding $62 for.. so all and all, a good price, especially since the nearby independent guy wanted $400 and that didn't include the gearbox, but he wanted to re-torque the heads (unnecessary for the 2012's)..

Maybe the RT is more expensive due to body faring?

243.06 for my 600 mile service, but that also includes earplugs that were 6 bucks and change. I'm happy with the service and they got the bike done when I wanted it (one day turnaround). As per the thread, this is a '11 RT.

I was recently taken to the tune of $437.53, essentially to change the oil and rear drive lube by a Cleveland OH area dealer. It was NOT Sills, All Seasons, or Mathias. My previous experience with two of those has been very positive and reasonable. This was my first experience with this dealer, and my last.

I'm sure the rear drive lube was made from platinum or something at $47.83 for 180ml of the stuff. That is more than $220 for a quart! Plus $15.42 for fuel additive...what nonsense is that?

I want dealers to be successful, and I am fine paying reasonable cost for reasonable work, but this is over the top IMHO and from what I read. I'll take my work (and bike and gear purchases) back to Mathias from now on.

Guess I could blame myself for not pinning down the dealer on exactly what was to be done and for how much up-front.

Jim with a sore rear end.

2011 R1200RT 600 Mile Service Cost

I own a 2011 RT and I had my 600 mile service done in March by Max BMW in CT. Here is the breakdown.
Labor 2.5 Hours - $212.50 ($85 per hour)
Gasket Ring - $.50
Gasket Ring - $.64
10W50 Oil - $30 ($7.50 per)
Oil Filter - $15.13
O Ring - $1.33
Saf-XO Final Drive Oil - $14.34 ($4.78 per)
Shop Supplies - $11.00
Sales Tax - $22.89
Total $308.33
What drives me crazy is shop supplies and tax. But for the most part it is fair.

I own a 2011 RT and I had my 600 mile service done in March by Max BMW in CT. Here is the breakdown.
Labor 2.5 Hours - $212.50 ($85 per hour)
Gasket Ring - $.50
Gasket Ring - $.64
10W50 Oil - $30 ($7.50 per)
Oil Filter - $15.13
O Ring - $1.33
Saf-XO Final Drive Oil - $14.34 ($4.78 per)
Shop Supplies - $11.00
Sales Tax - $22.89
Total $308.33
What drives me crazy is shop supplies and tax. But for the most part it is fair.

$14.34 for final drive oil (180cc) equals about $76.00 a quart.

This stuff is not that hard to do so I do it myself. My cost is probably under $50 for the above supplies and about 2 hours of my time. (includes checking valves)

It's really "cute" IMHO how so many motorcyclists consider themselves doing something economical by owning a motorcycle and that in general motorcycling should be cheap as a reward.

Reality is ... owning a BMW motorcycle is ZERO different than owning a Porsche, Mercedes, or BMW car. Service bills like this are simply the norm in this league.

There's no relationship whatever to maintenance on your father's '56 Buick nor any relationship to fixing your Honda 305.

It's a $20K toy for heaven's sake.

I took my 2012 r1200rt in last week to Engle Motors, Kansas City. I had changed my own oil the week earlier, so they performed the final drive change, checked over the entire bike, did the throttle balance computer check etc. I spent $174.00 and that included me taking home 4 quarts of bmw oil, filter and crush washer. I was very pleased and surprised.

Great dealership, I stayed with my bike the entire time and ask many questions while the service was being performed. They even called me this week to follow up on my satisfaction.

I know the RT costs a bit more than my R at the Oregon dealer just because of the extra labor of removing farings, but it's not much more.

I didn't buy my RT because I knew it was cheap to run. I don't have the room to work on my own bike nor the desire. I think many of us have the dealers do maintenance for different reasons. Warranties is one. I can understand doing your own maintenance if you put 20,000 miles per year. Unfortunately many of us don't.

The USA camheads are "0440" models acc to BMW. This is a 600 mile check for the "0450" R1200 GS models 2010 and newer. The two are the same except for checking the spokes. BMW calls the 600 mile check the "Running-in" Check.

Setting service-due date and countdown distance
Reading fault memory with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
Engine-oil change, with filter
Changing oil in rear-wheel drive
Checking brake-fluid level, front brakes
Checking brake-fluid level, rear brakes
Checking freedom of movement of Bowden cables and checking for kinks and chafing
Checking tyre tread depth and tyre pressure
Checking spoke tension, adjusting if necessary
Checking lights and signaling equipment
Function test, engine start suppression
Check the synchronization
Final inspection and check of roadworthiness
Reading fault memory with BMW Motorrad diagnostic system
Confirming BMW Service in on-board documentation

Most of the above is blah-blah except for the fluid changes and the synchronization. I did the work myself and cost just a few dollars for fluids and filter. Warranty is not a problem as I document it on a spreadsheet and keep receipts for supplies. I find great satisfaction in going to the DIY section of this forum, getting my wrenches out, turning on some tunes and learning about my m/cycle.

The valve checks are easy to do. I think an 8 year old could be shown how to do it.

BTW, I am constantly amazed of the difference between m/cycles and autos maintenance schedules. Other than oil changes, brake inspections, etc., my 2007 Corvette has its first real scheduled maintenance at 100,000 miles ... for spark plugs. :dance

Last edited:
Called the Tigard Oregon dealer for 600 mile service quote. Was told just under $400. On a whim I called the dealer in Salem. They quoted $150-$200. Made the appointment.

Final tab, $204, which included stuff to my own 6k service,4 quarts oil, filter, and crush ring. Had some noobe questions for the tech, SM said go on back. Tech was very helpful.

Am in Moab, Utah now(on my way to Sedalia). Planning to take bike to Grand Junction dealer for 6k service. Did the oil change before leaving home.

BTW: Just love this bike compared to the F8ST(doesn't corner as well, but good enough). Cruise at 80 all day and feel like you're doing 55. Cop in Cal pulled me over for doing 83. Told him I didn't realize it. Explained about bike change. Told me to get used to it quick or I'd be in trouble with the next CHIP.

Woooh, My dealer throws the 600 service in with the new bike. No charge!

I really like Bentonville BMW. In some of the best riding in the central part of the country.
:love

Back