• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

600 mile service 2011 R1200RT......WOW

kctay

I realize that BMW means "Bring More Wallet", but WOW!

I just returned home after my 600 mile service on my 2011 R1200RT, and had to sit down.... $392.00?

The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?

Has anyone else paid this much? :scratch

I realize that BMW means "Bring More Wallet", but WOW!

I just returned home after my 600 mile service on my 2011 R1200RT, and had to sit down.... $392.00?

The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?

Has anyone else paid this much? :scratch

That seems pretty steep. I think mine was $230. What was the break-down?

Work performed by Richard Smith (RDS) = $290.00
gasket ring = $.64
Oil filter = $14.00
Oil 10W40 #4 @$8.50= $34.00
gasket ring = $.64
BMW Synth Gear Oil 75W = $24.59
O-ring = $1.33

Sub total = $365.20

Then they tagged me for $25.00 in shop supplies?
Hazardous Materials = $2.00

So the summary is:

Labor: $290.00
Parts: $75.20
Shop supplies: $25.00
Hazardous Materials: $2.00

Grand Total: $392.20

Edit: And I had no accessories to remove, nothing exta.

Because this is a family forum I am not allowed to say what I think about a charge that large for job that small.

You could ask the shop why it took almost 4 hours for a oil change.
There may be a 1/2 hour charge in labor for plugging the bike into the computer, but that still leaves approx. 3 hours.

Well, we really only have on shop in the Portland, Oregon area. I didn't want to jepordize my relationship with them. But as a guy that owns 5 auto repair shops, I feel hosed.

Another curious item is when I bought the bike, I asked what the 600 mile service costs, and the guy said around $250.00.

Thought I was doing the right thing having my bike serviced where I bought it. I know I won't take it back, unless it is a warranty item.

If we all did our own service work perhaps the dealerships would soften up a bit from their $85.00 flat rate and ridiculous pricing.

I want to support the dealer, and I want them to be in business when I need them. But honestly, this is ridiculous. :mad

I paid less on my 2005 RT and they torqued the head, checked rocker arm play, and adjusted the valves. This is why I didn't mind the cost of the GS911 and a carb balancer. I saved the cost of the tools for one service.

A "let us reason together" conversation with the dealer principal can't hurt, especially when you clearly want to support his business.

:lurk

If I could get copies of invoices from other dealers showing the same 600 mile service, for the same year bike I might have some pull. Otherwise, I seriously doubt it.

Casey,

You should have gotten a service checkoff sheet:

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/R1200RT_600.pdf

One of the great things though on this forum, is that by using the DYI link below

http://forums.forums.bmwmoa.orgdisplay.php?f=44

you can do your own service, just keep your records and receipts. I would go back and talk to the service manager and have him to go through it, but it doesn't sound that far off from where mine was. Keep friendly though with them because friendly techs will answer quick service related questions.

JT

Yeah, good tip JT, I had planned all along to do my own service following the 600 miler. I thought it was just important to take it in for the 600.

My 600 mile service was free from my dealer. Engle Motors in KC was the best, and I still wish I was there for them to work on my bike when it needed it.

Work performed by Richard Smith (RDS) = $290.00
gasket ring = $.64
Oil filter = $14.00
Oil 10W40 #4 @$8.50= $34.00
gasket ring = $.64
BMW Synth Gear Oil 75W = $24.59
O-ring = $1.33

Sub total = $365.20

Then they tagged me for $25.00 in shop supplies?
Hazardous Materials = $2.00

So the summary is:

Labor: $290.00
Parts: $75.20
Shop supplies: $25.00
Hazardous Materials: $2.00

Grand Total: $392.20

Edit: And I had no accessories to remove, nothing exta.

Well, I know how you can save $290 right off the bat :)

From the service checklist here:

http://www.ascycles.com/pdf/ServiceSchedules/R1200RT_600.pdf

I see "tightening cylinder head fasteners" and "adjusting valve clearances" among the other checks. But I read above, "The don't even check the valves anymore, or torque the heads?"

So did they or didn't they? Are they supposed to as the A&S Cycles web post says, or is that no obsolete? If obsolete, starting when; on what models?

Paul,

Check the date on that maintenance schedule sheet; 9/2006.

It's been updated at least twice since then. Notice the final drive fluid change is not mentioned. And on that note, $24.59 for 180ml of gear lube? You can buy a quart for less and get a multitude of changes out of it.

Paul,

Check the date on that maintenance schedule sheet; 9/2006.

It's been updated at least twice since then. Notice the final drive fluid change is not mentioned. And on that note, $24.59 for 180ml of gear lube? You can buy a quart for less and get a multitude of changes out of it.

Thanks!

The bill is ridiculous for what is actually done on the current models. If the total work time exceeds an hour I'd like to know for what? If they pulled the valve covers to check clearances and torque, add an hour to 90 minutes. Unless the record shows some additional work beyond an oil change and FD change the time is way out of line.

The markup on the gear oil is amusing. A bottle does 5 FD fluid changes and retails for less than the charge on the bill. Over 500% markup on 180 ml of lube. They should have at least given you the rest of a bottle for your own use...

I don't know why you worry about a relationship with a shop that overcharges- I wouldn't. There are many places to get info and any dealer will do a recall service. And you can get warranty stuff covered on the road by any dealer- its not a big deal. I buy my parts by mail from places. My local independent auto shops do a lot more work for a lot less money than a BMW bike dealer where one mechanic is typically supporting the salary of a service manager and maybe part of the parts guys salary too.

A GS-911 is clearly in your future unless you like being overcharged on a regular basis- I'll bet your dealer wants $40-50 to hook the bike up and check codes/reset the service indicator, a 10 minute job if you're slow with a GS-911. The routine service bills are one reason so many of us do our own though I do it just as much to be familiar with machine so I can quickly deal with any issues that happen while touring. Hexheads/camheads are so simple there is no reason not to do your own routine service and repair. Its not until you get into one of the jobs that requires splitting the bike that any real effort, unique skill, or special tools are needed. And even those jobs are tackled by some of the more ambitious owners just to make sure all the bolts that came out go back..

Back