• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 K1100RS sucky mirrors

MOONDOG59

Did I see at one time a post about aftermarket mirrors that could be screwed into the end of the handle bars?

Just got back from the GMR and packing the bike up was a pain because I couldn't lay anything across the seat. My mirrors would get blocked.

Someone even suggested threaded mirrors on the right side in that spare hole but I wonder about the mirror hitting the fairing

I knew someone who had installed a mirror on the right side, no contact with him anymore. It was an aftermarket one that angled off relatively soon as I recall. Still had some interference at tight left handers, but he really appreciated seeing outside his bags. So, it can be done, I am sure there are others out there who have done it.

The mirrors from another BMW model will go right in the holes on the handlebar controls. I put them on my K1100. If both holes in the controls are unthreaded (I forget that detail) then the bars from a K75 will go right on. If one is threaded (I forget) then the mirrors from an R1100RS will fit. I forget which I used.

The alternative I've used on my K100RS is to put on a 10" X 12" piece of 2" thick soft foam rubber - lift the seat, slide a couple inches of foam under the rear, shut the seat. You now have a fairly level playform of rear seat and protective padding over the tail section. Then I tie down my duffle bag on that PARALLEL to the bike.

Even so, don't have the greatest view to the rear, though I DO have a great view of my gloves and levers.

Back