Thread: 1996 K1100RS sucky mirrors

Exclamation 1996 K1100RS sucky mirrors

Did I see at one time a post about aftermarket mirrors that could be screwed into the end of the handle bars?

Just got back from the GMR and packing the bike up was a pain because I couldn't lay anything across the seat. My mirrors would get blocked.

Someone even suggested threaded mirrors on the right side in that spare hole but I wonder about the mirror hitting the fairing

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I knew someone who had installed a mirror on the right side, no contact with him anymore. It was an aftermarket one that angled off relatively soon as I recall. Still had some interference at tight left handers, but he really appreciated seeing outside his bags. So, it can be done, I am sure there are others out there who have done it.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >138,000 miles -- Black, 01/10/2000 to present
    Gone: White '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, Black '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, Red '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi, '06 Kaw 650R chrome yellow track bike sold http://www.seagullbb.com/

The mirrors from another BMW model will go right in the holes on the handlebar controls. I put them on my K1100. If both holes in the controls are unthreaded (I forget that detail) then the bars from a K75 will go right on. If one is threaded (I forget) then the mirrors from an R1100RS will fit. I forget which I used.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

The alternative I've used on my K100RS is to put on a 10" X 12" piece of 2" thick soft foam rubber - lift the seat, slide a couple inches of foam under the rear, shut the seat. You now have a fairly level playform of rear seat and protective padding over the tail section. Then I tie down my duffle bag on that PARALLEL to the bike.

Even so, don't have the greatest view to the rear, though I DO have a great view of my gloves and levers.
    Doug
    1992 K100RS