Thread: Top triple clamp removal problem '87 K100RS

On the Road

Top triple clamp removal problem '87 K100RS

Hi,
    I have a 1987 k100rs with 55K. I am replacing the steering head bearings but having trouble figuring out how to remove the top yoke. I have everything removed, totally stripped to nothing but the top and bottom clamps left in place. the only thing left is what appears to be , an aluminum nut on top of the clamp that will not budge. ( see an attached picture) This is not mine, a picture I found online.
    Thanks for any help,
    Rod in VA
    http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-1510226...8_2154_3784802

Rod, My '93 K75 has a threaded stud and lock nuts to hold down the top clamp, don't know how it is on your 87 K100. Do you have access to a repair manual or parts list?
    Are the forks out? Might be able to twist to break free any corrosion that might be holding it together.
    Ken E.
    2012 R1200RT
    '09 RT, '93 K75, '69 R60US and others long gone....

Rod - I added the year/model of your bike to the thread title - that way people searching for this info in the future will be able to easily find it. PLEASE consider doing this yourself for any tech threads you may start.

Thanks!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

On the Road
    Copy that Don..Thanks

I just took mine apart (86 k100rs) and my nut was stuck as well. I luckily had access to air, and hit it with an impact driver (easy) and it spun right off. This is after trying a 18" breaker bar...I thought the bike was going to fall over (almost did). The impact gun just spun it right off, and yes it was corroded under there. Hope that helps.