• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

BMW Cruise Control

prwff8

Does anyone know of the first year that BMW put a factory installed electronic cruise control on an RT?

I am dying to buy another bike, but I would like it to have electronic cruise. I currently have electronic cruise on another brand (ehmm, think noisy exhaust) and would like to purchase a used RT with cruise. I currently own a gs also.

In addition, would anyone be interested in trading a delicate used R1xxxRT for a used 2004 Ducati 999?

thanks,

I think it was 2002 with the K1200 series of bikes. But you'll be looking for an R1200RT if it has to be an R bike.

- 2005 or newer R1200 RT. They have electronic cruise control as an option.

- 2002 K1200 RS and on had electronic cruise control as an option
- 2002 K1200 LT and on also had electronic cruise control

The K1200 became K1300 and they also have this option methinks.

There are quite a few after market products out there but difficult to install I hear.

Many of us (most of us maybe?) use the ThrottleMeister product which works pretty great for those long flat stretches. It's a manual bar end friction control device.

I have an 04' 1150RT that does not have the cruise, and I asked the dealer in Grand Rapids about getting one installed. He told me that they prefer not to do that, as there are liability issues. If the cruise control hangs up and there is an accident, they could be held liable, so they won't install them at all. I can't say as I blame them, but I was a bit disappointed.

I guess if you want one, the best way to get one is to buy a model that comes with one. The 2005 R1200RT was the first of that line to have one available. I chose the 04 because I liked the style better. And of cousre the lower price.

Then there's the Audiovox option. I just sold one that I never got around to installing. They work very well.

I think it was 2002 with the K1200 series of bikes. But you'll be looking for an R1200RT if it has to be an R bike.

- 2005 or newer R1200 RT. They have electronic cruise control as an option.

- 2002 K1200 RS and on had electronic cruise control as an option
- 2002 K1200 LT and on also had electronic cruise control

The K1200 became K1300 and they also have this option methinks.

There are quite a few after market products out there but difficult to install I hear.

Many of us (most of us maybe?) use the ThrottleMeister product which works pretty great for those long flat stretches. It's a manual bar end friction control device.

The 03 & 04 R1200CLC had cruise as standard equipment (I know it is not a purist's BMW)

I installed the electronic MC Cruise control ( www.mccruise.com ) on my '02 1150RT several years ago and I'm very satisfied. It holds the speed within 1 mph. It was quite a bit cheaper than buying a 1200RT just for the cruise control. However when I bought the control, it was around $700. Now it's over $1000 which is ridiculous.

I must say that cruise control is one of the features I really don't miss. I mean, how long do you really take your hand of the bars. A cost-effective alternative for me was the Throttlemeister and yes, while it only holds the throttle position stable and not necessarily the speed, it works great on long highway stretches if you want to relax your had a bit, PLUS, you can still override it or make slight adjustments even when it is engaged.

I must say that cruise control is one of the features I really don't miss. I mean, how long do you really take your hand of the bars. A cost-effective alternative for me was the Throttlemeister and yes, while it only holds the throttle position stable and not necessarily the speed, it works great on long highway stretches if you want to relax your had a bit, PLUS, you can still override it or make slight adjustments even when it is engaged.

I also have a Throttlemeister on the bike as a backup to the cruise control. There is no comparison. You can adjust the speed of the electronic cruise control just like you do in a car. Speed up with the throttle to pass a truck and it will go back to the former speed when you relax.

I broke my hand/wrist in a motorcycle accident a number of years ago. It aches after gripping the throttle very long. A good cruise control makes touring possible for me. Not everyone needs it and I get by without it on my other bikes, but my hand hurts when I do.

Al, of course if you have injury-related issues, the true cruise control is invaluable. I, too, sometimes feel my wrist (I'm working on a PC all day long) and probably have a bit of carpel tunnel syndrome. Sometimes I just leave a bit of tension on the Throttlemeister so I can relax my hand and make only fine adjustments. I just thought that it's a good option for someone who doesn't have the $$ for an aftermarket CC.

I just thought that it's a good option for someone who doesn't have the $$ for an aftermarket CC.

Moenko, I agree the Throttlemeister ( or Kaoko on my GS ) work quite well. I also agree I wouldn't pay what MC Cruise is asking for their controller today.

cruise control

I have a K1200Lt 1999 and my cruise control comes on on the board (the light SET) but does not engage. Can anyone help please? Thanks

I have a K1200Lt 1999 and my cruise control comes on on the board (the light SET) but does not engage. Can anyone help please? Thanks
Try posting that question over on the Flying Brick K-bikes forum. You'll be more likely to get replies.

Back