• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Water-Cooled Boxer

covering the cylinders with more fins would increase warm up times, reduce economy and add weight.

Removing all fins and adding an water to water oil cooler would speed warm up, improve economy and increase engine life.

But if a lot feel like you, I am sure there will be engine dress up kits.

Rod

Most of the Harley clones are water cooled but still have fins to look like they are air cooled. The 84 Honda Magna was water cooled with "cooling" fins and it was not a problem. The fins were thicker I suspect were not truly a cooling aid since they were on the outside of the water jacket so the heat did not have a direct connection to them.

I think they did a great job with all the fins and hiding the radiators to make it look like an aircooled engine.
They must have looked at the ugly fin-less Honda CX500 engine from 1978 how not to do it...:laugh
The watercooled Suzuki Bandit motor is also a ugly lump compared to the former air/oilcooled one.
But for myself the new boxer generation must be vastly superior to the current one to make me switch to the added complexity as noise and emissions really don't interest me...
130-150hp could maybe do the trick...;)

Someone had earlier posted "why do we even need a 130hp flat twin?" in response to comments made about the greater power potential of the new water-boxer. And true to that, but its really not that the engine makes a lofty 130hp in peak power.

What really matters much more is the increased torque and power that is available in the low end and mid-range of an engine that makes 130 peak hp. If internal combustion engines produced power more like an electric motor we'd have little need for more hp and torque above maybe 100hp at most. But because our loved 4-strokes make big power at higher engine speeds, an engine with a much greater HP peak value, really gives us great torque and hp where we really use it, in the low to mid-range of the power curve.

To that, I welcome a higher HP engine! Because I LOVE the low end and mid-range "grunt" those types of engines can provide. That satisfying "surge" we feel in the mid-range when all you have to do is crank it on! THAT makes riding visceral and exciting!

Parts

Just more parts to not have in stock and wait for delivery from Germany. First the airhead, then the oilhead of 1000 then 1150, then the hexhead, then the camhead, now the waterhead!? I am too old and tired to keep up anymore.

Never heard of it>was it really. Hard to believe.:blush

Yes it was.

"BMW Motorrad USA Reports Continued Growth for 2011

BMW S 1000 RR Superbike Remains Best-Selling Model

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  January 13, 2012On the heels of BMW Motorrad reporting record global sales in 2011, BMW Motorrad USA posted a 7.4 percent growth in sales in 2011, nearly double the gain posted the previous year. Sales were fueled by continued demand for BMW Motorrad USAs best selling model, the S 1000 RR Superbike, as well as for the popular core models R 1200 RT, R 1200 GS and R 1200 GS Adventure and the all-new six-cylinder K 1600 GTL and K 1600 GT."

Just more parts to not have in stock and wait for delivery from Germany. First the airhead, then the oilhead of 1000 then 1150, then the hexhead, then the camhead, now the waterhead!? I am too old and tired to keep up anymore.

if need be, there are some big rocks just to the west of you that you could crawl under until all this "change" stuff goes away..... :stick

Never posted here before, but have owned numerous BMWs over the years, airheads, older GS models, a chipped K1200RS, sidecar rigs, and a K1200LT bought new in '99 and only recently sold. Still have a Harley I bought new in '92 which has been the most reliable and cheapest to maintain bike I've ever owned. Sure it shakes at 75 mph and is slower than everything else, but it gets me there and doesn't break down. Ever. But that's not my point here. At age 60 and only 5'9", the K1200LT was just too much weight, particularly 2-up, so I'm ready to move "down" to the much lighter R1200RT. Thought about the K1600 models but they're still very heavy and their power-to-weight ratios aren't really all that much better than the current boxer in the RT configuration. I've enjoyed reading all these posts about the new water-cooled boxer engine, although it still doesn't make the decision any clearer: to buy the current model which has been universally cheered for many years, or wait for the new model?

Same boat

BBOLTEN I just went through the same decision tree. I am older than you and wanted a touring bike. Coming off a Tiger 1050 I was hoping that Triumph would bring out its Trophy which looks like the RT. Problem is that they brought out the Explorer first. Not what I wanted nor the GS. Looking at all the new models I didn't want to be a beta tester. The RT has been around for years and has most of its teething issues solved. I also liked the fact that it is only 570lbs, wet. I really enjoy this bike even though I have only put 1000 miles on it. Very comfortable and I have planned a few extended tours once the weather breaks. Never looked back.

At age 60 and only 5'9", the K1200LT was just too much weight, particularly 2-up, so I'm ready to move "down" to the much lighter R1200RT. I've enjoyed reading all these posts about the new water-cooled boxer engine, although it still doesn't make the decision any clearer: to buy the current model which has been universally cheered for many years, or wait for the new model?

Why not get a used R1200RT? stick to slightly older version (latest hexhead or early Camhead), so that you won't loose much on the trade in.
By the time the watercooled R1200RT comes around you will well and truly know if this type of bike is suitable to you.

You know, a lot of people are lamenting the eventual passing of the Oilhead. But it does mean there will be many excellant, low miles, slightly used Oilheads out there for years are even better pricing.

I have no problem buying a used BMW. In fact, I doubt I will ever buy another BMW brand new. So, to me I see the new boxer as a plus. Then once it has fully proved itself in the marketplace I can move up to a new water cooled boxer, if I want to.

We all know BMW fully supports their products for years and decades so that is not an issue.

{IMO} it was / is inevitable anyway, as it will be with H/D. They can only get an aircooled engine [so] clean. [in terms of emissions] And it appears they are nearing their limit. So liquid cooled is on the horizon.

For a motorcycle, I perfer simplicity over complexity,and liquid cooling adds weight,which I'd rather avoid.....but as with many things in life I seldom get what I want..........:nono

Ron

Yes it was.

"BMW Motorrad USA Reports Continued Growth for 2011

BMW S 1000 RR Superbike Remains Best-Selling Model

I thought BMW boasted that the Cruiser was the top selling model in the USA? Oh wait, that was a few years ago when it dominated the market. :D

Maybe the Camhead, i.e slight engine modification and other small changes, but the R1200RT has been in production since 2005 I believe.
At least mine is a late 2005.

Correct. The R1200RT is the model; preceded by the R1150RT and the R1100RT before it. There have been some modifications along the way including the introduction of the overhead cams in 2010, but the model run has been for seven years from 2005 to the present.

Back