• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Water-Cooled Boxer

I'm not what you would call a light weight by any means ( I am working on it ):brow

I do ride slower than i used to , I admit that, and rarely see 80 mph any longer.
I know a place for those kinds of speeds and higher, it's called a race track .
Just too many variables on public roads for me to feel comfortable much more than 5 mph over the posted limit. I also find that I can keep my driving privlege if I motor along at that pace.

My trips are shorter these day for sure, age and infirmity ,or is it age and wisdom, I forget.:thumb

As for more power, under the right conditions and the right place I still like more HP , speed does not bother me in the least. It's the sudden stop that worries me.:)

Sudden Stops

You are right about that -- and good brakes have to go with more horsepower. As well as responsible riding. Thanks.

Kent

Not a track:wave

Out on I-10 , West TX.
The 65 part is supposed to be coming down since this past September's legislation change. Sometmes a little more HP isn't a bad thing.

Attachments

• West TX 80MPH.jpg
    West TX 80MPH.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 764
it's been my experience that there is no way the Wee can haul a full-size rider with a large amount of gear, mile after mile, paved and unpaved, 80mph all day, easily knocking out 1K a day, with the same nonplussed composure of the GS.

the Wee can probably do it, but with a lot more stress on the machine and the rider.

1139687653_6U5j3-L.jpg

As a former owner of a 07DL650ABS with 20,000 miles I concur with above to a T.

The Wee was/is a Great Bike just not in the same league as the boxer IMO

Now that is GREAT!!!

The "Water Cooled Boxer" photo is Great!! :wave:thumb

OK

Off road / Off Pavement I had a KLR650 I would ride with my buddies and Kids who were on 2 stroke dirt bikes. They called my bike the suburban but I could go with them on single track trails.

Now with a 89 R100GS yes it is a "Off Pavement" bike. No single track stuff.
But great on the highway and on gravel roads.

1000CC Dirt bike!!! It works!!!

Now with a 89 R100GS yes it is a "Off Pavement" bike. No single track stuff.
But great on the highway and on gravel roads.

1000CC Dirt bike!!! It works!!!

Slight hijack:brow
Check out some of Jim Klas's ( BeerTeam) single tracking on his R100GS...Somewhere in this report is some log hopping by him. Great pics are typical from Santa! He has ridden some knarly stuff on his airhead GS when he isn't on his KLX 250...I think it's a KLX .
http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=26732&page=9

OK...back to the Wasser Boxer....love the brown one in the pool!

I'm glad I bought new last year to carry me out a few more years and IMHO it doesn't get any better than this...W/ NO H2O... I'm not really interested in any H2O and whatever it brings with it.

..I side with the traditionalists..and yes maybe I'm getting a little old also; put my name on the air cooled side.

And yet another reason to start buying Moto Guzzi stock.They at least stick with traditional engine designs.

Don't buy Moto Guzzi stock, wait a few years and buy the whole company!
It's an old joke that Moto Guzzi has been going out of business since 1920. But this summer I did go to see a V-7 or a Griso. I went to two different dealers, one had maybe 3 bikes in stock and the other had NONE. Neither had a current model year brochure. Sorry for the highjack.
Back on topic, I for one am looking forward to water cooling. I have been in traffis a few times and thought my RT was going to overheat.

I am excited about the prospect too.Love my R1150r, but would really like to see a 130+HP R1200rs soon, so I can buy one used before I'm too old to ride.

Too bad that after Volkwagen and Porsche finally now the BMW boxers (have) to go the same path.

Germany has many laws/regulations regarding

noise
pollution

Watercooled beats aircooled every time solving these issues.

Porsche once built a 1000 hp CanAm car that was aircooled, so horsepower may not be a limiter. It did have a fan, of course.

I suspect this has more to do with emissions than anyone is saying. Fuel economy, max horsepower and emissions control all have a common goal , to extract the most possible power out of every molecule of fuel. It is very difficult to have complete control over what's going on in the combustion chamber with an air cooled engine. Liquid cooling maintains much more consistent operating temperature making it easier to control combustion.

The more consistent temperature of a liquid cooled engine also allows for tighter clearances between the piston and the jug. Makes for less blow by, lower emissions, and more power.

The more consistent temperature of a liquid cooled engine also allows for tighter clearances between the piston and the jug. Makes for less blow by, lower emissions, and more power.

Liquid cooling also damps combustion and mechanical noise.

I hope someday to have a water boxer. My RS is barely broken in so it will be a while.

It is interesting technology.

Rod

They should have spent a little more time designing the motor for not just efficiency, but for the pleasure of the eye of the enthusiast. They could at least have made a nicer job of covering it with tightly spaced finning so it wouldn't look like such a hideous lump.

Regardless of how good it may be this is not something my eye is excited by, or to buy.

???????????????????:scratch

Exactly, those of us who love the BMW twin love it because of what it is, we are the 'Tradionalists' so to really appeal to us you have to make it look great. I always though Suzuki did a great job of the engine fins of the their big fours, if I'd been in charge of this project I'd have got some nice tight fins cast into the cylinders and heads, and painted the whole thing black. It didn't have to look like a Fiat 500 motor.

??????????????:scratch

???????????????????:scratch

covering the cylinders with more fins would increase warm up times, reduce economy and add weight.

Removing all fins and adding an water to water oil cooler would speed warm up, improve economy and increase engine life.

But if a lot feel like you, I am sure there will be engine dress up kits.

Rod

Back