• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

bin laden dead

This reply may get me in hot water. I have no intention to offend, so if I do, forgive me please. Although the events of 10yrs ago were on US soil, the attack was on all civilized people.

Like most people in the western world I was happy and relieved to hear of this sicko's death. I soon realized that this will make little or no difference in our everyday lives. Air travel will still be inconvenient, foreign wars will continu and the risk of blowing up while having a coffee at Starbucks is undiminished.

Watching the celebrations (dancing in the strets of NYC) made me feel quite uncomfortable. It reminded of scenes we see on the news (from certain uncivilized parts of the world) that sometimes fill me with anger/sadness. And yes, I understand the emotions behind the celebrations.

Am I glad Ben Laden is dead?...you bet.
I simply do not ever remember seeing 'westerners' celebrating in the streets over someone's (anyone's) death.
If he had been killed and then peace suddenly broke out all over the world, I too would would dance in the streets. When that happens, let me know.

Sorry if I offended anyone...just my 2cents.

The difference being, those from uncivilized parts of the world (your words), were rejoicing at the deaths of innocent people. bin Laden was far from being innocent!

This reply may get me in hot water. I have no intention to offend, so if I do, forgive me please. Although the events of 10yrs ago were on US soil, the attack was on all civilized people.

Like most people in the western world I was happy and relieved to hear of this sicko's death. I soon realized that this will make little or no difference in our everyday lives. Air travel will still be inconvenient, foreign wars will continu and the risk of blowing up while having a coffee at Starbucks is undiminished.

Watching the celebrations (dancing in the strets of NYC) made me feel quite uncomfortable. It reminded of scenes we see on the news (from certain uncivilized parts of the world) that sometimes fill me with anger/sadness. And yes, I understand the emotions behind the celebrations.

I simply do not ever remember seeing 'westerners' celebrating in the streets over someone's (anyone's) death.
If he had been killed and then peace suddenly broke out all over the world, I too would would dance in the streets. When that happens, let me know.

sentiments expressed by many.
I think Clarence Darrow's quote is appropriate for your feeling/thoughts:
"IÔÇÖve never killed any one, but I have read some obituary notices with great pleasure.ÔÇØ

me? yeah, I'm glad he's done with. very glad.
no dancing, but i recall a very loud "F*ck Yeah!!" rattling the windows in my living room the moment I heard it on the morning news. might have come from me, i dunno. :dunno :whistle

What you said is worth a million. I too would rather see a celebration of peace and everyone on this 3rd rock learn to live in peace. Personally I feel that people were celebrating more on Bin Laden's capture than actual death. At least that is what I want to believe. It is truly hard not to celebrate his death after what he did in the U.S.
I had tear's of joy when I got the news that this sadistic man was snuffed out. I have buried many friend's that gave the ultimate sacrafice for our freedom.
It is time that we learn to get along in this world. I am a firm believer that in general people are good. It is government's and idiot's like Bin Laden that make people hostile.

Take Care & Ride Safe in Peace
Pat Carol

It makes me proud to be a Navy Veteran. Go Navy Seals. :usa

:thumb
When I went in, everyone was invited to join the SEALs. Our company commander, (MM1 Lee, San Diego RTC, 1973) told us, "go on, if you want to be a hit man someday". In the film they showed us, there was a bell on the beach you only had to ring three times to quit, if it got too tough.
It's my understanding that only one out of three make it.
Our best and brightest! Go Navy! :usa

When I went in, everyone was invited to join the SEALs. Our company commander, (MM1 Lee, San Diego RTC, 1973) told us, "go on, if you want to be a hit man someday". In the film they showed us, there was a bell on the beach you only had to ring three times to quit, if it got too tough.

That was a good year. Navy boot camp Jan- Apr 73. Great (friggin cold)
Lakes. Didn't go SEAL, instead went Deep Sea Diver after a stint as a fleet tweet deck ape. Hooya.:usa

The wash out/drop out rate for Navy Seals approaches 90%, or 1 in 10 make it. Or at least so the Commander of Team 6 said to CNN.

And the obligatory Hilter video didn't take long........

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YsnRKP56oxg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm pretty sure people cheered Hitler's death in the street, and end to evil, an end to war. I think my generation feels the same way about Bin Laden. Hopefully, the whole terrorist network falls apart & the Muslims learn to be a part of the whole world.:usa

I like to think all the celebrating of his death was akin to VJ day. It may not be the end of the war on terrorism (if there ever will be) but it is what we set out to accomplish on 9/12/01.

Last July 4th, along with the festivities and fireworks in Huntington Beach, the SEALs from Coronado had a booth set up there at the pier. Pretty cool bunch. They had a chin-ups bar set up, and they were giving away little trinkets (water bottles, etc.) depending on how many chin-ups you could do. Only a couple of super-buffed surfer types got past 25.
:usa

Back