• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need the correct Tranny

1der

My son and I have inherited my fathers 1990 R100RT. It was rebuilt before the "Tranny" went bad (for the second time). Dad dropped it of at a repair shop on his way to Florida several years back but never picked it up. So now we would like to find a tranny to fit so we can go to the National this summer in PA. My question is, what year tranny will fit in this bike? I have checked E-Bay. Any other place to find the correct tranny? FYI the 1990 has 160,000 on the clock. The 1984 R-80RT I want to ride to the national also has 160,000+ miles.

re-psycle

For al of my used airhead parts needs, I go to re-psycle near Columbus, OH. Great guys. They always have had what I needed for reasonable $$$. They have lots of airhead parts. You might also try Emerson Motor Works in southern VT. Davis is a great guy and he also has lots of airhead parts.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'88 R100RS

I have had great luck finding parts at Martindale Motorcycle Works. Mikey is known throughout Texas and beyond as one of the great airhead gurus. He has a barnful of used airhead parts as that is his main business. I've found him to honest and most helpful. He ships and takes credit cards. His number is 512-357-2842

1981 and on will fit the bike. However, from about 1985 through 1994 model years, BMW saved a few pfennig and left out a circlip and the groove to install it. After a few thousand miles, the front bearing begins to creep and you end up with needing a transmission rebuild. You can probably find a transmission at Beemer Boneyard, Repsycle, etc., but for any work on it, sent it to a pro - Tom Cutter, Anton Largiader, Ted Porter, etc. who work on them day in and day out and KNOW how to repair one.

Beemer Boneyard replied back, they don't sell BMW used parts that far back.:scratch Repsycle Has not replied back yet.:dunno

Back