• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Supplemental LED Brake Light 2011 R1200RT

The Skene stuff is good and so is the service. I use Photon Blasters on the front for the triangle effect.

R1200RT Supplemental Led Brake Light

Dirt Merchant:

The part I installed on my 2011 R1200RT was the BMW Supplemental LED Brakelight, part No. 63000445578 and the model specific harness, part no. 61000445579. I bought the parts from A&S Cycle on-line. Since I installed the Supplemental LED Brakelight, I took a major road trip and I have put over 6,000 miles on the bike without an issue with the LED light.

extra lights

I installed Hyper-Lites (http://www.hyperlites.com/stdsf.html) on my 09 RT. I added some shrink tubing over the wiring leading up into the rear tail assembly using only the existing tail access. Made for a nice solution. Hopefully the lights will help get the attention of an approaching driver!

Appreciate everyones tips and comments on how best to install the BMW supplementary lights. Just installed mine today. Ran the wires behind the left side of the license plate and along the left side of the rear wheel well and side cover. After reading this post, I found it pretty straight forward. Somewhat like plug and play.

It almost seems like BMW designed the R1200RT to have all these additional accessories then took it off the bike to sell as aftermarket parts (plug and play). Or is it just genuine thoughtful engineering on the part of esteemed BMW designers. I dunno. Clever marketing maybe!

Anyways very please with the results of the supplemental LED lights. It looks like it was designed to be on there as OEM.

Great guide for the LED install.

Two additional notes from my own following this as a guide.

1. Round-it Wire Wrap works great as added protection for the exposed wire under the fender.

2. I know this install is for the 2011, but be aware that each year may use a different LED and auxiliary harness, which makes the actual connections unique. There are 15 different combinations of LED lights and harnesses!

Installing BMW Supplementary LED Brake Light w/o drilling

There are already two holes in the rear fender. The top one lines up perfectly with the back of the BMW Supplementary LED Brake Light. The trick is: The larger end connector comes off of the brake light wires. BMW has a special tool to do this. We just used a straight paper clip. Then we inserted the wire through the already provided hole; reattached the large connector and connected it to the bike specific harness. I ran the harness wires up behind the fender, up in between the outer body and the inner cubby in the back of the bike. No cutting or drilling needed.
I hope this makes sense.
PM me if you need further directions.

BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light 2011 R1200RT

Just wanted to send out a thank you to Rghensley and everyone else who posted instructions and advice on how to install the BMW R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light. Thanks to this great thread my install went quick and smooth. The supplemental brake light is brighter than the bike's stock brake light and sure to be seen by tall trucks, even when I ride with the large top case. That was one of the reasons I installed it. For the added safety I don't think it was expensive at all.

One question I have is that during the install of the two plugs that go into the passenger accessory port I noticed another larger plug zip tied to the frame at the back. Can anyone tell me what that large port is for? I popped off the cap and on mine and the plastics inside were black and pink.

I was riding in today and saw an F800ST with Skene P3 lights. I was very impressed! So I am at my computer, found this thread. I ordered a set, as they are better then anything I have seen! Thanks Ex G man

Supplemental LED tailight install

Thanks rghensley for the detailed install directions for the LED tailight kit. I too have a 2011 R1200RT and also appreciated your added note about the non-drilling install method. During the install I discovered a multi pin connector thast was not hooked up to anything in the area under the lluggasge rack. Do you know what this connector is for?:wave

Stebun
Do you have tire pressure monitoring system, if not this could be the harness for it
+1 on the SKENE P3 lights I have installed these on four bikes for friends, much brighter than the BMW lights and can be configured many different ways
I also installed a BMW system on a 650gs, wiring system was good, light itself not water proof, needed to be sealed with silicone sealant

mystery connector

Thanks T6pilot, I do not have TPM and you are probably right as that and ASC are the only two options I don't have. I am pretty sure that TPM can't be added after build but I wish it could.

There are already two holes in the rear fender. The top one lines up perfectly with the back of the BMW Supplementary LED Brake Light. The trick is: The larger end connector comes off of the brake light wires. BMW has a special tool to do this. We just used a straight paper clip. Then we inserted the wire through the already provided hole; reattached the large connector and connected it to the bike specific harness. I ran the harness wires up behind the fender, up in between the outer body and the inner cubby in the back of the bike. No cutting or drilling needed.
I hope this makes sense.
PM me if you need further directions.

I can see that the three wires that lead to the larger connector at in a modular fitting but I cannot see wher you put the paperclip to remove it. There are 2 or 3 possibilities but I'm reluctant poke around too much. Don't want to ruin it!

Thanks rghensley for the detailed install directions for the LED tailight kit. I too have a 2011 R1200RT and also appreciated your added note about the non-drilling install method. During the install I discovered a multi pin connector thast was not hooked up to anything in the area under the lluggasge rack. Do you know what this connector is for?:wave

That is most likely your alarm connector. I would not use it as they run a PWM signal on the power lead.

Just to add another vote for the "non-drill" method.

Think it's a bad idea to expose the harness and particularly the connector to under-fender conditions. The connector is lots better protected between the license plate and the fender.

In addition such an installation could interfere with operation of the OE mudflap.

Back