• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Under cover

kthflieger

Curious to hear what kind of experiences folks have had with outdoor motorcycle covers. Does anyone own the Wunderlich cover - it seems to look substantial.

I ordered one from SelectCovers - supposedly their best waterproof, sun proof cover - guaranteed to fit my RT...... They were quick to answer the phone when I called to order. It arrived - sized to fit a mini bike! Since then I have been unable to get anyone on the phone. They don't do exchanges - contrary to what their return policy says. They will refund my money though - although I have to exchange several email form pages to accomplish this......not good customer service at all.
Which covers have worked?

I gotta the seventy buck special from Cycle Gear, threw it over my Gold Wing that lives outside, all is well...of course, it's far from concours condition, but any bike yer gonna keep outside, well, let's be honest...

Cover

I ordered a Formosa brand cover off Amazon. Have been very happy with it. In the $30 - $40 range. However, I only use mine when traveling, otherwise the bike is in the garage, so can't say the cover has been subjected to thousands of hours of sunlight, wind, rain, etc. The cover has elastic around the bottom, with built-in eyelets and bungee cords to secure it over the bike. Comes down well and covers the cylinders and side cases thoroughly. It's also made to cover a windshield. All in all, very happy and figure it's cheap enough to buy another if something happens.

piperjim

kthflieger --

There have been numerous discussions about hexhead covers with many recommendations!

Your best bet would bet would be to do a search for words like "cover", "nelson rigg", half cover" etc. You should search the specific Hexhead/Camhead sub-forum since you ride a RT.

At the top right of the Hexhead forum header you will see a drop-down search heading:

search.png

Just type your search phrase in there. Having a RT myself, I know there are PLENTY of posts about this topic.

(p.s. - love your Goethe quote!)

A bargain TIP;

I have spent the full range in cover prices all my life. BUT, a fairly recent visit to Super Walmart nearby, doing other shopping, I came across covers for m/c's? Yep, they sold bike covers and I bought one for my size needed for 19$, yes only 19$:). I could hardly believe the price, but got it home and its a great quality cover, unreal price:). You may want to look. They seem to go "very fast", as i have NOT seen them anymore as I go look see every time in the store. RandyGSA1200:usa

I post this periodically: My 1st lifetime guarantee Dowco lasted ~ 10 yrs, it was sent back for a free replacement cover that's made in China but very high quality. These will stand up to spring , summer, fall usage for a long time. They are not lightweight compact stowable covers unless you commute and dedicate space for them based on being the better cover. Hard to argue with free lifetime replacement on something that is in fact getting the weather and an expendable item.:dunno
I do have covers for dust,etc, that are on ebay straight from Hong Kong that are really light and cheap too-last one was like 99 cents thereabouts.

I post this periodically: My 1st lifetime guarantee Dowco lasted ~ 10 yrs, it was sent back for a free replacement cover that's made in China but very high quality. These will stand up to spring , summer, fall usage for a long time. They are not lightweight compact stowable covers unless you commute and dedicate space for them based on being the better cover. Hard to argue with free lifetime replacement on something that is in fact getting the weather and an expendable item.:dunno
I do have covers for dust,etc, that are on ebay straight from Hong Kong that are really light and cheap too-last one was like 99 cents thereabouts.

+1 on the Dowco covers. I'm awaiting my replacement warranty cover on my 9 year old cover. They're not cheap, but hey they're good forever, literally, with that warranty.

+2 For DowCo Lifetime Covers!

My DowCo was a bit long in the tooth but still worked exceptionally well, seemed tailor fit to my K75RT. The zipper broke one day so I called DowCo and immediately got someone quite pleasant and knowledgeable on the line. She had me snip off the tag and send it in with an explanation (zipper broke) and a week or so later I had a brand new one on my doorstep.

These things are quite substantial and protected my K75RT parked outside throughout the winter. The design with the zipper up the back makes it easy to get on and off, and the soft terry insert on the inside does a great job protecting the windscreen. The strap underneath also does a great job snugging the cover up so heavy winds don't get inside causing a balloon/sail affect. My only suggestion for them would be to add some orange or 3M scotchbright to the cover so people parking next to it would be able to see it better.

Thanks for all the input. Just another note about SelectCover. They make covers for bikes, cars, patio furniture (maybe that shoulda been my hint!). they still don't answer the phone and I have to pay return shipping to get my refund. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone for anything.

i have a Nelson Rigg cover that i've used extensively over about 3-4 years. i got the extra large and it fits OK over either my 88K100 or my R100s (RT 1st and now RS).

it lost its waterproof capabilities some time ago but i have always thought a shot or two of silicone spray would help... life in an urban environment sometimes means you gotta keep your baby on the street.

+1 on ANY way to keep car-parkers from hitting or bumping the bike... the words *Jersey Barriers* DO come to mind. :laugh

it lost its waterproof capabilities some time ago but i have always thought a shot or two of silicone spray would help... life in an urban environment sometimes means you gotta keep your baby on the street.

BEEEEEEE CAREFULLLLLL with silicone around your vehicles!!! You won't necessarily have any problems until it's time to repaint, then it's 'fisheye city'!!! So if that silicone soaked cover is touching your paint, when you repaint it, the paint won't lay down, and often, even stripping it down to the metal won't work.

In any shop I've ever been in, spraying Armor All or silicone is verboten, for that reason!!! Just a word to the wise!!!

BEEEEEEE CAREFULLLLLL with silicone around your vehicles!!! You won't necessarily have any problems until it's time to repaint, then it's 'fisheye city'!!! So if that silicone soaked cover is touching your paint, when you repaint it, the paint won't lay down, and often, even stripping it down to the metal won't work.

In any shop I've ever been in, spraying Armor All or silicone is verboten, for that reason!!! Just a word to the wise!!!

copy that! no worries, i already have more money in paint alone than my K100 is worth!
:violin

I have had a Cycle Shell for 3+ years and still going strong. cycleshell.com.
I store my bike out doors (not even a shelter) in four season climate and my bike has remained dry and oxidation free. The covers are a little costly, but in the long run, I think it is a great value.

final chapter with Select cover - three weeks, 14 emails later I finally got them to refund my money less shipping. Better than nothing I guess. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Bike Barn

I have had a Cycle Shell for 3+ years and still going strong. cycleshell.com.
I store my bike out doors (not even a shelter) in four season climate and my bike has remained dry and oxidation free. The covers are a little costly, but in the long run, I think it is a great value.

I have been using a similar product, the Bike Barn, for 3 years. Bought it locally from I guy who'd never unpacked it. Heavy canvas and galvanized steel construction, keeps the bike dry, didn't collapse under this year's heavy snows.

I'm still looking for a smaller version for the Vespas.

Back