Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used, or know someone that used one of these:

BUBBAZANETTI

Has anyone used, or know someone that used one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...412&hasJS=true

compas, altimeter, and weather station, i can't afford a gps right now and this seems like a handy gizmo to have on the bike, i just wonder how weather proof iit is.............

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar

save for the gps

Bubba, you can get a Garmin GPS V for around 225.00 with all the maps of the US unlocked. It isnt the most modern GPS, but it works great for me, and I wouldnt waste the 100 bucks on a geegaw that 25.00 will buy.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

I have one similar. Mine was a lot cheaper and is just a backlit compass, none of the temp, altimeter or other stuff.

The suction cup will NOT hold on a motorcycle. I made an aluminum bracket that mounts to the base of the compass instead of the suction cups. I don't know about its weatherproofness. It's mount is inside my fairing, so it is well protected from the rain. If I'm worried about it getting wet at a stop, I wrap a plastic bag around it with a rubber band. Mine times-out if your bearing doesn't change for a set time period. If you get on a straight stretch of road, it will time out before you want it to.

Mine doesn't have the auto-backlight, so I can't speak to that feature, but the buttons on mine are easily pressed with gloves on (maybe not with winter gloves) even though the buttons are on the wrong side. It does require driving in a couple of circles to initialize the compass. I prefer the other method that some auto compasses use of parking one way, then parking 180* in the same spot to intialize.

$100 seems really high when you can get the yellow eTrex (no memory, no maps) for less money. The handheld Legend with 8MB memory and available maps (the included basemap is pretty useless) is around $130 at Amazon.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS

SweetT
    Why would you pay money for a device to tell you its raining? Wouldn't you know by all those lage round drops of water hitting your face?

Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by lorazepam
    Bubba, you can get a Garmin GPS V for around 225.00 with all the maps of the US unlocked. It isnt the most modern GPS, but it works great for me, and I wouldnt waste the 100 bucks on a geegaw that 25.00 will buy.
    Just got the GPS V. It also comes with the bike mount.

Quote Originally Posted by D'Lilah
    Just got the GPS V. It also comes with the bike mount.
    And? How much did it cost you? What do you think of it?
    Chace
    "The immortals are gone. Now we are the immortals."
    -T. Robbins

GPS V for sale -

I've got a GPS V for sale with the Touratech mount, hardwire and SW - $250.00.

PM me if interested.

Bob Spink

BUBBAZANETTI
    hrmmmm..............decisions

Ive seen Bobs set up. It is pretty sweat. I love the Touratech mount with the integrated power connector. Just dock the GPS to the mount & you are off. No cables to futz with. I wish Touratech made a mount that slick for my Garmin 76CS.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    My GPS V has gotten me across the country and into Canada and back no problem. Better than the compass I had.
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

bubba - all electrical add-ons are of the devil. any improvement over the original bmw boxxer is of the devil. that is why i have no add-on electrical demonic devices and why i have unplugged two of my 4 spark plugs and why i disconnected the servo-brake thing-a-ma-bob and bought leetle narrow tyres to ride on.
    the gps thingys are a slippery slope, young man. next you will want a cd changer, a thing to pee in, a seat warmer and an entire Gerbing suit, a food processor, paper shredder, ipod, cb/xm/short wave/long wave radio multi-plex with inter-helmet and trans-motorcycle communimacation device and all manner of what not. DON'T take that first step man. PLEASE
    Real Rounders (RR) don't need no stinking GPS or no steenking compasses - go out there and get lost like a real man.
    i now return you to the people who have more important things to say.
    (pray for me fellow riders, i looked over the edge and jumped anyway.....)
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Cliffy, please take your meds and look at a picture of some trees with leaves on it.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

HODAG
    If cliffy likes old school modes of transportation, maybe he should walk everywhere. Can't get any older school.

I can just imgae the first caveman discussion
    "UG make wheel"
    "gonk no need wheel"
    "ug can go fast"
    "gonk don't need to go fast"

a few days later
    "where ug go, gonk miss ug"

"ug need gps now, ug lost"

Hey Bubba, My old lady bbought me that compass thing last b-day. Ive put it on the bike and now its in the glove box of my car. Id go with the cheaper gps. The compass is good if you have a map, it wont tell you how to get anywhere.I found myself looking at it thinking , hell I already know where I am, why do I need a compass.

Reminds me of when I was thinking of putting a Loran on my sailboat. My "boss" at the time was navagator for many years on a boat in the Chiacgo to Mackinak race. Said all he needed was, 1) a chart 2) a transistor radio 3) stopwatch 4) compass. Charts would show locations and frequencys of radio stations, pointing the antenna at a specific tuned station would produce a null. By getting two nulls you triangulate your position. One crewman would drop a cigarette off the bow and he would time with the stopwatch, with the boat length to determine speed. Talked me out of it, I'm with Cliffy.

Guess I'm just old school, but then again, I have this uncanny ability to recon where I am. A good map will help start a campfire in a pinch.

Tim