Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Electric Windscreen Frustrations - '94 K75RT

Just digging up an old thread with an update...

I started my bike on the centerstand and a curious friend reached over while I was putting my helmet on and put the windscreen up and down. For some reason, after two years of non-use, it now works perfectly.

Must be the switch
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

3 Red Bricks
    Check the date again Ted. It's been FOUR years.

Nice troubleshooting method, wait four years and maybe it will heal itself.

Sounds like dirty contacts.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

I prefer to think it is my bike thanking me for changing the oil regularly ;-)
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Quote Originally Posted by 98lee View Post
    Check the date again Ted. It's been FOUR years.

Nice troubleshooting method, wait four years and maybe it will heal itself.

Sounds like dirty contacts.

LOL - I've just been thinking about fixing my windshield and this pops up. Thanks Ted, I had completely forgotten about this thread.

Probably time to install the new heated grip switch I bought four years ago, too.
    ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

Well I have finally started troubleshooting my K75RT electric windshield. It stopped working about 5 years ago. I have been riding another motorcycle and the K75 doesn't see a lot of saddle time. Initially the windshield worked intermittently and then it just stopped working.

I watched a youtube video about testing the windscreen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0Kr48FWYA - and decided to jump right in. While removing the windshield base w/motor I found that one of the wires near the motor had been pinched (between the fairing and the fairing bracket) and cut.

With the base and motor on a workbench I made a quick repair of the wire and applied power to the motor. The mechanism moved only slightly, the screw drives were really gummed up. Following the instructions in the video I was able to get the mechanism moving smoothly up and down again. Knowing that the motor was good, I soldered the wire back together to make a permanent repair.

Before reassembling the windscreen I wanted to test that I was getting power to the connector for the base/motor. While testing the connector with my voltmeter, one of the wires came out of the connector. I disassembled the connector hoping it would be an easy fix but it doesn't appear so. I googled around a bit to no avail. Now I am stuck and don't know what to do.

The wire appears to have broken off of the socket(?). I was hoping the socket would come out of the connector and that I would be able to crimp a new one on.

Any suggestions about how to proceed from here would be appreciated!

It looks like 4 wires. I would go to an auto parts store and get 5 pole (four plus ground) trailer connectors. Carefully connect both sides to the trailer connectors using the four "hot" ones and ignoring the ground. A few snipped wires and new solder connections and and you will be good to go.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    It looks like 4 wires. I would go to an auto parts store and get 5 pole (four plus ground) trailer connectors. Carefully connect both sides to the trailer connectors using the four "hot" ones and ignoring the ground. A few snipped wires and new solder connections and and you will be good to go.
    Thanks Paul. There are five wires, so 6 pole connector and ignore the ground? That's a lot of soldered connections...

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    Thanks Paul. There are five wires, so 6 pole connector and ignore the ground? That's a lot of soldered connections...
    If there is an electrical supply house, Radio Shack, etc near you you might find a smaller 6 pole connector. I suggest a trailer connector because they are available at most auto parts and hardware stores. An internet search might turn up a neater solution too.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by ted View Post
    Just digging up an old thread with an update...

I started my bike on the centerstand and a curious friend reached over while I was putting my helmet on and put the windscreen up and down. For some reason, after two years of non-use, it now works perfectly.

Must be the switch
    Thus demonstrating that K-bikes do indeed have soul!
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by rdalland View Post
    The wire appears to have broken off of the socket(?). I was hoping the socket would come out of the connector and that I would be able to crimp a new one on.
    Anyone who works on these things for a living should be able to extract the broken pin and replace it. I have tons of parts for that sort of thing; it's just part of the job.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Anyone who works on these things for a living should be able to extract the broken pin and replace it. I have tons of parts for that sort of thing; it's just part of the job.
    I'll keep that in mind for the next time...

Data point on '97 K1100LT WS relays

Old thread. It has pix that led me to find the '97 windscreen replays. Fixed the problem (most important!). Best to go in through the windscreen housing (top, front). Makes it super easy to access the relays.
    Just thought I'd let the collective know that the down worked, but the up slowly died over a couple days of usage, was fixed by relay change. I changed both. If one went, the other probably isn't far behind.
    I did lube the 'rails'. That could wear on the electronics (carbon on mechanical relays caused by initial current draw).

Have fun,
    Jer
    Jerry Palma
    99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 6); 97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night 'The Silver Knight'; 85 R80RT 'Lady in Red';
    I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

Nick Kennedy
    Ted
    Where's Ted?
    He used to be quite active on the Kbike forum.
    When I first got my 1990 K75 RT I got ALOT of great information form his website on K Bikes.
    I hope he is doing OK