• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Paul/Voni Alaska?

Polarbear

Polarbear
Did you mention Alaska on the way to PA Rally this year? I'm looking for alternate plans myself, never been to AK.. Lots of BC riding, but no Alaska. I have time off. Whats the miles to PA from Hyder and/or mainland AK? Where do ya normally cross into Canada? Ever ride with anybody else in your group of two:)??? I've done the "ocean to ocean" Canada ride a few years back and know its a fur piece of riding, but just wondering if you have done any homework on it yet? GSA1200 Randy"Polarbear"PS; I can ride just about any style, camp and IB far and short days and move on if it gets uncomfy and plans don't jive:). easy rider! An interesting option for me, CA,Alaska,PA...:) either way, hope we meet again somewhere, someday, Randy:usa

Did you mention Alaska on the way to PA Rally this year? I'm looking for alternate plans myself, never been to AK.. Lots of BC riding, but no Alaska. I have time off. Whats the miles to PA from Hyder and/or mainland AK? Where do ya normally cross into Canada? Ever ride with anybody else in your group of two:)??? I've done the "ocean to ocean" Canada ride a few years back and know its a fur piece of riding, but just wondering if you have done any homework on it yet? GSA1200 Randy"Polarbear"PS; I can ride just about any style, camp and IB far and short days and move on if it gets uncomfy and plans don't jive:). easy rider! An interesting option for me, CA,Alaska,PA...:) either way, hope we meet again somewhere, someday, Randy:usa

Our schedule includes:

Ankeny, IA - May13
Hyder, AK - June 10
Seattle - June 20
LA area - July1
Bloomsburg - July 19
Ankeny, IA - July 26
Nakusp, BC - August 18
Sipapu, NM - September sometime

One or two days to several days in each spot. Plenty of touring time and places in between. Stops at our kid's in Kansas or Iowa, or back in the Big Bend as convenient. We ride solo.

We're headed from AK to the states on 3 June with a stop over in Hyder along the way. No set schedule and we are looking forward to riding thru the lake area around Nakusp and Balfour, BC. May see you in Hyder or pass you on the road. Wave.....

We're headed from AK to the states on 3 June with a stop over in Hyder along the way. No set schedule and we are looking forward to riding thru the lake area around Nakusp and Balfour, BC. May see you in Hyder or pass you on the road. Wave.....

Kevin, If we see you Voni will stop for a group hug, I'm sure. :)

By the way, we are wondering if Voni is going to pick a sentimental favorite bike as the one she's riding for her millionth mile? Big Red maybe, or is it going to be her newer ride?

By the way, we are wondering if Voni is going to pick a sentimental favorite bike as the one she's riding for her millionth mile? Big Red maybe, or is it going to be her newer ride?

When we leave here in a week or so she will be riding her F800. There is a chance we might switch bikes back here at the house on that LA to PA leg. Depends on weather and routing. I suspect when she hits it she will be on the F800 but don't really know yet.

THX all:)

Thats serious road time and I have only July Off, so in passing I always wave. I depart Clovis,CA around July 2nd or 3rd maybe for either Alaska or Meridian,Miss.(Tornado Alley) for family. I end up in PA for the rally. Natchez Trace Trail, anybody done any of this? Looks interesting and goes my way in the SE corridor. Randy:usa

Hey! Polar Bear..You still looking for cheap way to get here..:thumb

http://tinyurl.com/43zf2ee

Regards,

Clay
Kimberton,Pa.

Thats serious road time and I have only July Off, so in passing I always wave. I depart Clovis,CA around July 2nd or 3rd maybe for either Alaska or Meridian,Miss.(Tornado Alley) for family. I end up in PA for the rally. Natchez Trace Trail, anybody done any of this? Looks interesting and goes my way in the SE corridor. Randy:usa

Done it - yes, yes and yes! Much like the Blue Ridge - speed limit enforced, limited cross traffic, most is nice riding.

Always;

I always listen to ideas that save bucks on the road. My Alaska is off for this year, as i am making real plans for the SE on my way to PA this year. Family in Miss. kinda has my immediate attention for this ride East. As I figure, my Calif. plate will be rare in PA., because finding those out here going is a challenge. This is not so unusual I know. Anyhow, whats up in PA.? Are ya suggesting something good:). Randy:thumb

The Nakusp Hot Springs Rally, of course.

See you there?

Voni
sMiling

Yes you will. I'll be back to Nakusp this year on my F800GS. Lots of great backroads in the area and on the way there from Calgary. :clap Great little rally too in a great little town.

More here:

August 18 - 21, 2011
25th/10th Nakusp Hotsprings Rally
Bee Cee Beemers #114

25th/10th Nakusp Hotsprings Rally

Bee Cee Beemers #114

Why change a good thing? This summer marks the Bee Cee Beemers' 10th rally in Nakusp, BC and our club's 25th annual rally. Sounds like a reason to celebrate. For many guests over the years it's a chance to reconnect with old friends. Enjoy the hospitality of the nicest small town in BC plus the best rally meals and free coffee on the circuit. Pitch your tent in the shady Village Campground, book a local motel or B&B, soak in the hot springs, explore miles of scenic pavement, thrash your GS in the dirt or just chill with a cup of coffee on Main Street. There is something for every BMW rider at the Hotsprings Rally. Info: http://www.beeceebeemers.com Contact: Michael McPeak (604) 438-3954 or email rally@beeceebeemers.com Join us!

Voni
sMiling

Super Huge Bummer

We are in Whitehorse and were planning on making it to the Cassiar tomorrow. Latest report is that it is closed due to fires around Good Hope Lake. Other parts of Hwy 37 are closed due to flooding. Looks like we will not hit Hyder, but may go the Alcan and back track to Banff and Nakusp.

Last edited:
We've been fighting tough winds from Iowa to Montana. Tomorrow may be the worst yet. And now flooding. We'll have to keep checking for updates.

Safe travels to you both!

Voni
sMiling

The Day Of The Flashing Snowflake

Spent most of the day riding in the rain watching the snowflake flash on my dashboard. Added to the fun was a stiff head wind. We were not deterred. I slipped into my Gerbing like it was a willing woman's warm embrace and all was well. The good news??? The Cassiar is open. Good news indeed since they evidently had over an inch of snow in Watson Lake last night and the summits between us and Fort Nelson are the scene of the second coming of the ice age. We had to follow a pilot car on the Cassiar for 45 miles through smoke and some open flame along the road; it is a big fire. Three black bear sightings and a fox later and we stopped in Dease Lake for the night. Again we are in a motel; a concession Annie made since it is 38 degrees and everything we have is either damp or wet. The pub next door is having steak night and it was good, as was the Kokanee. Also learned another valuable lesson concerning the language barrier between us Amerikans and the Canucks. When their road side sign says, "Caution Loose Gravel" it really means, "Look out, we just put down ten inches of freshly graded garden soil." Hyder tomorrow.

Warmest hugs, you two! That's what motels are made for!

Say hi to Carolyn at Boundary Gifts and Dee at the Grandview in Hyder for us.

Voni
sMiling

Great riding:)

I may get that way too someday soon, but not this year again, as Texas and beyond becons my travel this year, going towards PA Rally. Any Texas tips for the Coast down there. I'll probably hit between C.Christi and Galveston, heading East. I know ya'll left it far behind, but its your home Paul/Voni. I know I suffer the heat of the South this year, but I have little options and will enjoy it, never seeing the Coast of Texas:). No Hurricanes, please! Happy Trails way North and see ya'll in PA..Randy

Back