• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GAS usage?

I came across this comment on another thread regarding "real world" mpg.

"Most of my back roads cruising was at 3000 rpm, regardless of my speed. I averaged about 4.7 liters / 100 km, that's around 60 miles per Imperial gallon. Riding around 55 to 60 mph, the bike has a range of well over 500 km. "

Revisit the KLT1200;

The KLT1200s are NO slouch with 100 to 115HP(year specific) and clearly the 1600 has the HP advantage, just not much else,imo. The riding comfort level is the exact same between these two bikes, as I rode it. The 100lb diet is always welcome between the two. If anybody thinks the 100 item menu on the rider display, functions the new 1600 has is a danger to rider awareness of the road ahead, they would be right! Kind a like Texting,GPS'in or any other distraction from the road. I owned the bigger KLT1200 for 5+years and nearly100000miles and have a good comparison under my belt. I love the passion of any new model release on the public. This new one has me worried with its high tech, gadget driven bells and whistles, overblown tech at its finest. Just an opinion from one very experienced, very high miler here:). Looks, the 1600 has it and sounds really neat running, kinda like a Porsche engine:). Give me the GT model, with less electric toys, perhaps...Randy:usa

Really? Potential buyers are considering NOT to buy this bike for a 6-10 MPG deficit? While that's probably not accurate after break-in, I'm surprised no one has bitched about 91 octane....sheesh

What do you get on the B1 Chris, about 100 yards per gallon? :D

As for gas mileage on big bikes, I think this is probably not a major consideration for a prospective buyer. He/she has figured out their requirements, and that a big machine fills it. To get reasonable range, that machine is going to have to carry more fuel, which means more weight, but the buyer has already accepted that compromise.

From reading the gas mileage figures for BMW's new bike, it sounds like they have beaten the laws of physics a bit, perhaps from advances in combustion efficiency, and from aerodynamic detailing of the fairing.

Last edited:
I filled up for the first time yesterday -- almost exactly 40 mpg (a hair over). That's significantly better than my K12LT's did on the first break-in tank, and that includes quite a bit of 65-75 mph highway, and a lot of Wash., DC traffic crawling. Looks pretty promising for the long term to me.

My last fillup was 45 mpg. That tank included plenty of thrashing, high speed cruising, and stop-and-go traffic. However, I don't think the figure from one tank is a good metric. I'm planning a several-day trip in a couple of weeks. I'll post the average after that.

- Kate

What do you get on the B1 Chris, about 100 yards per gallon? :D
One day i was flying as 'red air' pretending to be an incoming bomber, and had an F-22 chasing me down low.... my fuel flow was 369,000lbs per hour.... for those of you who want the quick math, JP-8 is about 6.8 lbs per gallon.. this means I was burning about 15 gallons a second. Of course at about 650 knots true airspeed I was going a mile every 7 seconds or so... we dont fly that fast all the time, but when we do its a kick in the pants both literally and figuratively.

By the way the way, I was outpacing the F-22 but still had more throttle available.. the problem was we werent allowed to go supersonic below 5000ft agl (we were about 300 ft agl at the time), so I pulled it back a little to stay below the mach... the F-22 catches me and calls a kill.... In the debrief it turns out he is a friend of mine I have known for some time... I ask how fast he was going and he say mach 1.4. When the time comes in the debrief to brief his shots against me, they are invalidated because he was violating the airspace rule and I wasnt. Even in the air at near supersonic speeds, there are still speed limits :D

Sorry for the thread hijack!

I've got 1,000 miles on my GT now. Since break-in, I've gotten just over 45 mpg. That's city, highway, and mountain riding. It's about the same as I got on my R1200 RT.

- Kate

I've got 1,000 miles on my GT now. Since break-in, I've gotten just over 45 mpg. That's city, highway, and mountain riding. It's about the same as I got on my R1200 RT.

- Kate

That is very respectable overall mileage for that size bike. I used to get about 45 with my old 85 Honda Magna 700, and this is twice the size plus. I get 47-50 going the 8 miles back and forth to work on my 04' R1150RT, and I got 49-54 on a recent long trip. I think it picks up mileage as I get farther into each tank and the bike fully warms up. Even going down the E-way I get about 43-45, and that's running about 75-80 constantly. So the 1600 getting 45+ is great!

One day i was flying as 'red air' pretending to be an incoming bomber, and had an F-22 chasing me down low.... my fuel flow was 369,000lbs per hour.... for those of you who want the quick math, JP-8 is about 6.8 lbs per gallon.. this means I was burning about 15 gallons a second. Of course at about 650 knots true airspeed I was going a mile every 7 seconds or so... we dont fly that fast all the time, but when we do its a kick in the pants both literally and figuratively.

By the way the way, I was outpacing the F-22 but still had more throttle available.. the problem was we werent allowed to go supersonic below 5000ft agl (we were about 300 ft agl at the time), so I pulled it back a little to stay below the mach... the F-22 catches me and calls a kill.... In the debrief it turns out he is a friend of mine I have known for some time... I ask how fast he was going and he say mach 1.4. When the time comes in the debrief to brief his shots against me, they are invalidated because he was violating the airspace rule and I wasnt. Even in the air at near supersonic speeds, there are still speed limits :D

Sorry for the thread hijack!
Please feel free to hijack any thread in order to talk about stuff like this because it is way cool and nearly impossible to get first hand! I really don't expect the K1600 to get MPG near what my '09 RT gets but that is OK. I could easily tolerate anything over a 40mpg average considering what you get in return. I was hoping to hate the new K because I cannot afford it, but the wheels in my little brain are turning now and I am going to ride one at the national and hopefully I hate it! But if the RT and maybe the GL1800(never)have to go in order to do it, so be it.

My '01 R1100RT has averaged 40.195 mpg for the 4 weeks and 2100 miles I've ridden it. Looking at my mileage history since I started riding again the first of February I'm on track to ride about 18K miles this year.

If I could get 45 mpg on the K1600 over an 18K year it would save me about 50 gallons of gas. At the current price of $4.10 for premium unleaded that would be $205 per year.

Let's see... If I could get a K1600 out the door at $24,000, divide that by 205, it would take me only 117 years for the gas savings to pay for the motorcycle!

Seriously folks, even a 10 mpg difference in gas mileage wouldn't make enough difference in the cost of operation over the life of the bike to be the determining factor on whether to purchase.

For most of us, motorcycles are an emotional decision, rather than a purely logical one. If you like the way it rides and can afford it, then buy it. If not, then keep what you are riding now.

Has any info been heard about this new 1600 mpg's???If BMW has intro'd another gas pig, I'll be way disappointed. My KLT1200 got 45-50mpg's almost always, which was very good for such a monster 800lbs scooter. I hope the new 6 cylinder beast gets 50+:), or I have no interest in it. For crying out loud, many cars today are getting over 40, so I expect my beloved beemers to do better too. My current GSA1200 is the pig of pigs(love the bike otherwise), regarding gas so I'm looking to do better. Randy

Just got back from my first long ride (184) miles after taking delivery of the bike (GTL) yesterday. All I gotta say, Randy, is if you can find a car that gets over 40 mpg AND can deliver the absolute enjoyment that this bike did for me today, let me know what it is. Cause I can guarantee you no econobox can give the thrills per mile that this bike can. Ever been in a Toyota Yaris - bleecchhhh. And, FWIW, the consumption readout displayed 43.8 mpg. Although I wasn't beating on it like a rented mule since it's so new, I wasn't taking it easy, either. Also FWIW, I have never gotten worse than 43 on my 1200GS, and that was on a trip to Alaska fully loaded with traveling gear, usually averaged closer to 48. Better check those valves and throttle sync.

Don't hate it, get it!!!!!

Please feel free to hijack any thread in order to talk about stuff like this because it is way cool and nearly impossible to get first hand! I really don't expect the K1600 to get MPG near what my '09 RT gets but that is OK. I could easily tolerate anything over a 40mpg average considering what you get in return. I was hoping to hate the new K because I cannot afford it, but the wheels in my little brain are turning now and I am going to ride one at the national and hopefully I hate it! But if the RT and maybe the GL1800(never)have to go in order to do it, so be it.

Don't even think of hating it, and trust me, you won't miss either the RT or the GL1800. It's better than either. And I'm saying that after having only ridden 184 miles with a 43.8 mpg average. Traded an RT for it, and have ridden brother-in-law's GL several times.

Back