• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pinlock needs RainX ? Fog proof?

J

johnnywishbone

i'm going to order a schuberth c3 at the end of the week. i really don't know what to expect as far as the shield. are these things fog proof? if not, can i make it completely fog proof. my helmets are really old, so this is a big adventure for me. (i don't get out much.)

i also made an appointment for glasses. the last time i rode at night, i had problems. besides, on my new rt, i can't read the display or the gps screen, unless i stop the bike and stick my head pretty close. this is not cool.

i had a lot of boxer twins before, but the last twenty years , no, thirty, were on harley. having the new rt was like starting all over again. in the beginning, i was really depressed, but i'm starting to develop a love relationship with this bike. at first, the attraction was purely physical. simple animal lust. now, i'm feeling the inner beauty, touching the soul.
this happened to me once before with my R100/7. we turned that bike into food one year.

thanks for your time. jp

Johnny,

I have the pin lock on my Shoei and I have never had it fog on me as long as the inner part is adjusted correctly.

If you do get some fog, say on the left side then all you have to do it take out the inner part and rotate the pin lock a bit and reinstall the inner until it is sealed.

Never been happier with it.

Have fun with the new RT!!

Last edited:
+1 on PinLock. I have been using them on my Arai Profile for over a year. In addition to the 'no fog', you can get various coloring. The inserts are small enough that I carry all mine with me at all times. In a matter of seconds, I can go from really dark to clear to yellow, depending on the driving conditions. Haven't yet found much use for the orange or light tint. But if I ever do, they will be with me.

Cheers,
Jim R.

Pinlock no fog; glasses will fog

Greetings... my 2 cents....

Your pinlock should not fog up. I have been riding with a Shoei X-11 for 3 years with the pinlock. I do recommend changing the shields out every year to year and half.

Now, as far your glasses, they might fog up from time to time. The only thing that I have found to work on the glasses is to crack the visor. I have not found anything "anti-fog" that really works... I have spend some money on different things but not really successful. My food for thought... :drink:eat

Pinlock shields are pretty much fog proof as long as you take care of them. Do NOT use anything other than mild soap and water on the inner removable liner. Using something like plexus or fogx on the insert will ruin it as some folks have found out. I remove the inner liner and wash in warm water with my fingers and some simple green then let it air dry before putting it back in the helmet. Plexus on the outside of the visor is fine.

Some folks complain of extra glare at night with the pinlock. That hasn't been an issue for me with a pinlock in an Arai XD.

I use the Pinlock also. The only time I find it fogs is when I've taken off the helmet and it is cold. For some reason it will fog up when I put it on. However, after a minute it clears and is fine. I think this is because the Pinlock is cold and one's hot, humid breath on it causes condensation and it takes a little time for the Pinlock to deal with it. I have several: dark, light grey. clear and yellow.

On the Arai helmets, is changing the inner shield to dark tint as good as changing the whole shield to dark tint? Hope this makes since. I'm thinking of getting an Arai and wonder if I should go with the pinlock and dark or a whole other shield. Any suggestions?

On the Arai helmets, is changing the inner shield to dark tint as good as changing the whole shield to dark tint? Hope this makes since. I'm thinking of getting an Arai and wonder if I should go with the pinlock and dark or a whole other shield. Any suggestions?

Yes it is as effective. But it's more hassle to change the pinlock insert from clear to tint than to change the whole visor. So during cold weather I may start with the pinlock with a clear insert but when it warms up and the sun comes up, put on a tinted visor.

Thanks Rockbottom. With all the negative talk about changing Arai shields I thought maybe the pinlock system would be easier.

Thanks Rockbottom. With all the negative talk about changing Arai shields I thought maybe the pinlock system would be easier.

To change the pinlock you first have to remove the shield and pretty much flatten it out. If you don't do it that way you might get a ripple in the seal around the insert rendering it useless.

My solution is to use a clear pinlock and change sunglass lenses as needed. I can switch between amber and green sunglass lenses faster than I can change the shield on my XD.

I'll be in Geetysburg, PA. Wed, and New Holland on Thur. Going to stop by The Service Pavillion so I'm sure all my questions will be answered. Thanks for all the info.

It's a little tricky to learn to change an Arai visor but once you do, it takes maybe 20 seconds.

Might depend upon which Arai. :dunno On my XD I have to unscrew 4 screws. It can sometimes take me longer than 20 seconds just to find an appropriate coin to do the unscrewing. :laugh

Not Really As Effective - But Almost

The shield exchange on the Arai Profile (LRS)is a snap once you get the hang of it. There are some good vids on youtube that can help with the learning process. Still, just like good riding techniques, nothing beats a little practice. Regarding the effectiveness of the dark Arai compared to the PinLock, I have to disagree with rockbottom. The PinLock is an insert, it does not, at least mine don't, cover the entire interior area of the shield. There is a 'boarder' between the outer edge of the PinLock and the rest of the shield that is the same color as the regular shield. If using a clear Arai outer with a colored PinLock, there will be an outer ring of clear. Now, is it noticeable? Yep. Do you get used to it? Yep. Will there be occasions when the sun might peak through? Yep. Will I ever not use a PinLock? Never.

C3 pinlock can fog.... I had it happen going from a 70 degree house to a 35 degree outside air temp. But with this helmet the fix is very easy... push the front vent open, and ride more than 20 miles an hour... it will defog instantly. once the shield get the same temp as the outside, then the pinlock will do its thing and no fog.

6 months on my C3, daily riding, no need to change pinlock or visor

Heck, I'd pop down to Gettysburg and show you, but I have to drive to Connecticut tomorrow.

Thanks for the offer. I'm learning alot here and will learn more on Thur. Will be in Gettysburg till Sun. We go with the dogs every spring for Greyhounds in Gettysburg. Looking forward to getting away!

I have an HJC and recently bought a breath box and a chin curtain that were both specific to my model helmet. Less than $15 for both. The breath box can be taken in and out easily. The chin curtain is hard to get in, so I'm not planning to take it out. It mainly cuts down on wind noise. The breath box does two things, keeps you visor from fogging up and keeps your face warm in cold weather. I few week ago I took my first highway ride of the season and it really did the trick. I have the full Gerbing gear, so on a cold weather ride the only thing that got cold was my face. The breath box solved that.

The only time I have had a fogging issue with my helmet is when it is raining and I am stopped at a stop light. So, I will be carrying the breath box to use in the summer on rainy days. In the spring and fall (and winter, since I ride all year) I will probably just leave the breath box in all the time.

I have a pinlock on my Shoei and it never fogs up, but my sunglasses do occasionally. As mentioned, if it's warmer inside the helmet than outside, it's likely to fog. I have similar problems with diving masks when scuba diving. They make an anti-fog solution that eliminates the fogging on dive masks, but what it's really doing is cleaning the lens of dust and microscopic debris.

It's the dirt and dust that typically makes it fog up. Simply wiping with a cloth won't do it. If my sunglasses start to fog up on a ride (or if I know I'm going on a long ride), I'll wash the lens with soapy water and dry them. No more fogging for days or weeks, until they start getting dirty again. I'm not talking about smudges, but the lenses can be coated in a thin layer of debris, and still look clear when they're on.

Back