• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Heating problems with Corbin Low Saddle

rb3cliff

I purchased a Corbin heated low saddle for my 2007 R1200RT last July. The installation of the new seat was easy and the comfort factor it offered was excellent compared to the stock seat. I would highly recommend the all-day comfort of this saddle. However when the cold weather came last October I connected the seat to my Centech fuse panel. The Corbin seat comes with a two way toggle switch, low off or high. The seat heats up but I cannot turn it on low or off it keeps getting hotter and hotter, the toggle switch has no effect in either position. Only solution is undo the seat and unplug it from the power supply. I contacted Corbin and I suggested that the switch could be the problem so they sent a new one, after installing the wires in the same location as the old switch the problem remains the same, just keeps getting hotter and hotter? Corbin is suggesting to ship it back to the factory in California as it is still under warranty however they didnÔÇÖt suggest they would pay for the freight which would be substantial from Ontario Canada Is this standard policy with shipping goods back to the manufacture? Has anyone had this type of electrical problem with a heated saddle?
I suspect installing a rheostat may do the trick however it's another gadget that will need to be mounted somewhere on the bike and I'm not too keen on doing that.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks, Cliff McEwen
Thanks,
Cliff McEwen

Have you checked the switch with a multimeter to be sure it's a defective switch.....because it sounds to me like a wiring problem......perhaps the main power lead is in the wrong position on the switch

Thanks for the comeback Pete

I checked the new replacement switch Corbin sent before I installed it. when it did not work I sent a sketch of the wire placements on the 5 switch terminals.

After receiving my pictures they suspect it may have something to do with the heating pads so they want me to send it back to the factory in California. I asked about shipping costs and they said if I can bring it across the border to a UPS depo they will look after the cost and repair the saddle then ship it bac to the same UPS depo on Military Road in Niagara Falls NY, I like this kind of service and will spread the word. On Friday I will be headed to Millitary Road.

Perhaps I will meet up with you at the next meeting in May at the pancake house in Smithville. I attend most meetings I'm the fellow wearing the Tilly hat with all the rally pins on it.
Thanks, Cliff McEwen

Perhaps I will meet up with you at the next meeting in May at the pancake house in Smithville. I attend most meetings I'm the fellow wearing the Tilly hat with all the rally pins on it.
Thanks, Cliff McEwen

Cliff, that is fair service indeed, and I hope the folks at Corbin remedy your situation, and the folks at the UPS store on Military Rd are top notch, I have a mailbox there.
My bike has a Corbin heated saddle as well, a comfortable two peice saddle, and I love being bathed in it's glow when there's a chill in the air.
As far as the May meeting goes, sorry to say, but I'll be a no show as I'll be basking in the Mexican sun, perhaps I'll see you on the road or at the pancake house in June.
Keep us all posted of your progress, and hopefully it won't take to long to be repaired.

Back