• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Why?

I plan on going to PA

I am starting on my summer plan to do a coast to coast. I plan on leaving Oregon just before July 4 and heading east. I hope to hit a bunch of national parks and see the rest of the country. I imagine this will be a solo trip until I meet up with other riders. I hope to keep my days to about 500 miles but is all is good I will travel farther. I have a sister in law with terminal cancer and that may prove to be a snag! I need to be home by August 8. I have family in SW Pa that I will be visiting. I also plan on camping but my 60 year old bones may slow that down!
I will be riding a Gold K1200LT towing a Gold Unigo trailer. Watch fro me!
Larry

THX Larry; Kids too all grown now:)

I'll keep watch Larry, as my last ride was a KLT1200. This trip is my GSA1200 and my ride goes far South to Mississippi first, so maybe we can chat at the PA rally or back there somewhere. My young daughter rode around the USA too, with me and rides her own F650 today. Navy Girl(age28) in Mississippi. 49er Rally coming soon, so find me if you read this, I'll be glad to share stories:). Randy

Gas will probably level off around $4 a gallon for the summer if I'm reading my commodity futures correctly. Having spent the weekend with an RV club full of people complaining about fuel, I got quite a chuckle out of elements of this thread. So, let's say it's OK to pay $3.26 for premium as we did in Redmond. Today it's about a dollar more but probably less as you head east where the fuel taxes are less. Even so, at 40 miles per gallon you'll need about 200 gallons of fuel(with side trips) which equates to an extra $200 for a cross country trip. I just don't buy these arguments quoting the total cost of fuel versus the difference in what it would cost you. So, it will run you $700 in gas today versus $500 last year. For the type of adventure you're planning the $200 difference is really chump change and I'd bet anyone could save or make up that amount pretty quickly especially if you did without bottles of water($9 gal) and Starbucks phoo-foos($32/gal). So jump on that $24K bike with $8K in farkles installed and focus on the ride; something not everyone can do or appreciate. Don't sweat the extra dough because you know, a couple years from now you might be saying, "Gee whiz Beav, back in 2011 when gas was only $4 a gallon it "only" cost me $700 in gas to ride back east!" :banghead

And having a pickup that gets around ten miles per gallon and a pair of SAAB turbos that get close to thirty I have a hard time worrying about the piddley bit of cash it takes to feed my RT at fifty mpg. I spend as much on a motel room as I do on fuel for a whole two week vacation.

Made it;

We did the trip in gusto, and smiles:). 8500m total, one flat tire at camp and a wonderful trip. GSA1200, perfect! Hot, yes, but would never have missed the op. Ya'll go anytime you can get away. Love them dairy cows, my JOB too, working for a dairy:). Randy:usa:thumb

Back