Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS Mount for 2011 R1200RT

GPS Mount for 2011 R1200RT

I am looking for a mounting system for a Zumo 550 on my '11 R1200RT. I am fine with a RAM Ball but the GPS can't block the ignition or instrument panel. It needs to be relatively stable too. I know there are several systems that mount above the instrument panel but I do not want to disassemble the bike to install them; unless there is no other viable alternatives.

Ideas and photos are appreciated.

BMW makes a mount that picks up four bolts across the handle bars where it attaches to the steering yoke. Its made for the BMW Navigator which is a re-badged Zumo 660/665. It might work for the 550. When tight it allows you to pivot the GPS to suit your taste and avoid glare when in direct sun. Its a nice spot but the only problem is it gets eclipsed by the stock tank bag at the bottom. I use a smaller tank bag so it works for me. Not an issue with the ignition switch. I'll try to send a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by fletchdude View Post
    BMW makes a mount that picks up four bolts across the handle bars where it attaches to the steering yoke. Its made for the BMW Navigator which is a re-badged Zumo 660/665. It might work for the 550. When tight it allows you to pivot the GPS to suit your taste and avoid glare when in direct sun. Its a nice spot but the only problem is it gets eclipsed by the stock tank bag at the bottom. I use a smaller tank bag so it works for me. Not an issue with the ignition switch. I'll try to send a picture.
    Thanks Dude

Wunderlich makes a nice mount for the 2010-2011. I just put it on my '10 and like it. It's very sturdy and wasn't to hard to install.

Old, Ugly, feet stink too

BMW Mount Installed!

I have installed the BMW factory mount and the 550 an an "11 RT.

It does mount up just fine but I am not liking the angle I am limited to. (Glare)

I would like to rotate the unit toward me another 15 degrees or so but the bottom of the mount contacts the glare shield.

I have trouble with the Information readout also from glare - maybe my eyes?

Mind you you I just got the girl and only have 781 miles on it but the glare issue has to be dealt with.

I do not think it will be a big deal to move it up just a bit on the mount but I have not done so yet.

I will try to post some images this evenuing when I get off work.

LDCommuter
    I have quite happy with mounting a RAM ball onto the clutch reservoir cover. In fact, I have one on the brake reservoir as well to hold a radar detector.

No sight obstructions, the screen is close to the bar for a quick tap without having to reach.

Quote Originally Posted by LDCommuter View Post
    I have quite happy with mounting a RAM ball onto the clutch reservoir cover. In fact, I have one on the brake reservoir as well to hold a radar detector.

No sight obstructions, the screen is close to the bar for a quick tap without having to reach.
    Hopefully you're not doing this on a 2010-later RT with rubber-mounted reservoirs.
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

Here's a shot of the BMW mount on my 09 RT. The angle is deceiving. It does not obstruct the instrument cluster.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another from the side. Jim

LDCommuter
    Quote Originally Posted by realworld51 View Post
    Hopefully you're not doing this on a 2010-later RT with rubber-mounted reservoirs.
    No, a 2007 RT with the integrated reservoirs, like the OP's 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by LDCommuter View Post
    No, a 2007 RT with the integrated reservoirs, like the OP's 2006.
    Look again...the OP asked about mounting a Zumo 550 on his 2011 RT...
    Steve W
    Canton, MI USA
    2012 K 1600 GT (from 8/6/2011)

+1 on the Wunderlich Navagator mount. It is in the picture below to the upper right of the red box:

The Wunderlich attaches to the top of the dash using the two screws found there. HERE is the page for the 2010+ model and HERE are the installation instructions. IMHO, this places the GPS in the ideal location for a quick glance without taking your eyes too far away from the road ahead. It does not block the road or the instruments.

The picture above shows the cradle (sold separately) for a N??vi 550 but most cradles mount using standard hole-spacing to the Navagator's front plate. Also, note that the front plate is tilt-adjustable which allows for a viewing angle that reduces glare.
    Theo

2009 R1200RT, 2007 Shadow Aero 750 (sold)
    2012 MINI Countryman S, 2004 MINI Cooper S JCW, 2000 BMW 328i

2010 RT GPS Mount - Wunderlich

Try the Wunderlich site. It is the best one I found for the 1200 RT. Two bolts and it is installed. Simple. I have attached a photo from their site:

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...00887-888.html
    David Nicholls
    Teulon Manitoba - Canada

2015 R1200GSA-LC

GPS Mount - Migsel

Take a look at Migsel.com -- specifically http://www.migsel.com/store/index.ph...d&productId=69.

These guys make great products that mount to the bike w/o any new holes. The make parts for lots of bikes, including both pre and post 2010 R1200RT. The are quick to get the parts across the puddle -- usually less than two weeks -- and great to work with.

Jim

Rally Rat
    Ram has a ball to mount on your bolts.