• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New R1200RT- discolored exhaust pipe

I like that Remus header, but I more like that wounded valve cover. My RT has a nasty scraped section from a low side. Is that where you got yours? Marks like that have stories, and that's why I wouldn't change my valve cover.

Rob:

Nothing as glamorous as a low side. It's the result of a failed attempt to make an uphill U turn on the Galena Bay Ferry ramp. :ha Initially, I had planned to have it repaired, and then decided to leave it alone.

It is a waste of time to try to keep them pretty. You'll spend more time polishing than riding. It is a characteristic of the bike and just goes with the territory. If it truly bothers you, then invest in a professional coating; in the long run it will cost less than the endless supply of polishes you'll need to buy (not to mention the cost of treatment for the sore elbows).

1+

Those pipes all look GREAT! I'm just too lazy to polish. How much are we talking to have this done? That black is jumping out to me.

We use Jet-Hot...used to have a shop in Pascagoula, MS but a hurricane took it out I believe...now send to OKC if my memory is right this morning. Price was competitive with Nitroplates. I called for an estimate and e-mailed a pic while I had them sitting on floor with a yardstick alongside. Some bikes the header pipes do not separate and require a LARGE box to ship to them.

http://www.jet-hot.com/coatings/

I tried a local place, but their oven wasn't large enough and I had a touched up spot on a very visible section where the header leaned on their oven wall. I got a reduction in price and went back to the big boys on the next set
here's the 05 RT a few years back

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0287.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 146
D w b c

Looks good.

I hereby nominate myself acting president of the "Down with Brown ClubÔÇØ.
Henzilla and Big Easy are members anyone else care to join??
All you need to do is post a picture of your anti-brown pipes. :laugh

was thinking of ordering chome, but didn't

Attachments

• 2 Ken 2 on CH SKW trim_1.jpg
    2 Ken 2 on CH SKW trim_1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 97
The pipes on my 2012 RT are deep blue and the pipes on my 2011 GS are a light golden brown. I'd expect the pipes on these two bikes to look the same since they have the same engine. Is it possible that the GS pipes are stainless, not chrome?

My only concern was that my RT was running too lean or something. The dealer said the blue is normal so I'm okay with it.

Back