• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

acc shelf Q

the Wizard of Oz
So my R1100RT came w an accessory shelf with a couple chunks of velcro glued on. I use one for my I-Pass, but I'm thinking of bringing GPS on my summer trip.

Here's my Q: I don't get how one mounts GPS to the shelf so that it's visible, and mounted sturdily enough to press the screen. Maybe I'm missing the obvious. It wouldn't be a first for me. The $100 gps unit my wife bought me, that we use in the car just has a little suction cup for the windshield. ( and I'm fairly certain I'm also looking at investing in a significantly more expensive, bike appropriate unit as well)

Can you explain how aftermarket mounts work with shelf?

thanx

I bought an accessory shelf from RCU Designs for my 1150rt and mounted the shelf above the speedo assembly as per the instructions. The holes are predrilled and they line up exactly with the available holes already there. Once you have the shelf mounted you'll need a gps mount system. I bought mine at gpscity.com. You can choose your bike model and all the available mounts will show up. I bought a 2 hole base plate with a ball and the double socket arm for 1" balls that attaches directly to the base plate ball. You also need the adapter/holder cradle that fits your gps model.

You'll mount the GPS unit into the cradle and then mount the cradle onto the upper end of the double socket arm and attach the lower end of the double socket arm to the ball on the base plate. Now the assembly of the GPS and it's mounting peices is complete.

Now i should backup a bit. The base plate that you attach the double socket arm (that has the gps unit cradle attached to it) must be attached to the accessory shelf. To do this you will need to drill 2 holes that line up with the base plate (that has all the GPS peices mounted to it as described above). You can then attached your base plate (with the ball) directly to your accessory shelf.

Once you have this setup in place the GPS will stay securely in place under almost any situation.

Hope this helps

Also I have a Garmin 550 that is car/motorcycle specific but does not have the capabilities of the Zumo motorcycle series units. This unit works great for me. The main problem is there is no bluetooth or audio out jack to be able to hear the audio output. It is impossible to hear the driving instructions but you can see the map or the turn by turn directions. While this isn't nearly as efficient as hearing the directions it does work.

The next GPS unit I buy will most likely be a Zumo series that can pipe the directions directly to my helmet via my Sena unit. After using the above described setup I think overall I would happier if I was able to actually hear the GPS directions.

eureka!

Now i should backup a bit. The base plate that you attach the double socket arm (that has the gps unit cradle attached to it) must be attached to the accessory shelf. To do this you will need to drill 2 holes that line up with the base plate (that has all the GPS peices mounted to it as described above). You can then attached your base plate (with the ball) directly to your accessory shelf.

That's what I couldn't figure out. I was thinking drilling was my last option.

Thanx!

I have an RCU shelf on my 1150RT and have mounted a number of things on the shelf. GPS Garmin V, 2610, thermometers ,Spot. It is great because it gets it up high so eye diversion is minimal. A cleaner mount (compared to the ram short arm) for the 2610 is to mount a 2x2 alum. angle on the shelf then bolt the gps bracket to the angle. It is far less messing around with the two balls and short clamp that has limited position and difficult to tighten and could tend to vibrate.

Ben

You can build your own with little expense

My GT came with a Zumo mounted at the center of the handlebars. Thought it was too low for comfortable viewing. Even sketched a mount to be machinied from 6" 6061 T6 plate. I thought a mount tipped back at 15?? set on top of the dash shelf would fill my needs. Even cut out a piece of foam for a test.; good viewing and it misses the windscreen. Then on a trip to Home Depot I saw floor joist brackets for $1.89. I drilled four holes for the base and 4 holes in an AMPS pattern to fit the Zumo mount. Put in in the vice and rapped it twice with the rubber mallet. This gave me the 15??. Ground the corners to a pretty radius on the grinding wheel, scuffed it with a wire wheel, primed and a couple coats of enamal paint in a rattle can. You too can have a very robust mount for under $4.00 - stainless steel bolts and lock nuts will drive the cost up from the $2.00 bracket to nearly $4.00 when all done.
My son's best tool in his box is a checkbook. I'm haven't evolved to that state yet.
Dennis

fun fun fun

some humorous responses! Maybe you guys guys can advise further. i think I'm going to buy an Aqua Box from another MOA member to house my little garmin Nuvi. It looks like I could bolt their ball base to the acc shelf and then...:scratch ...I'm not sure what I'd need to purchase to connect between the ball base and the box. The Ram site is confusing and they don't list the 1100 in their compatibles. they only show the 1150 which has a different handlebar rig. I like the idea of fabbing a mount from the floor joists as above, but I'm not sure if I could attach the aq box. :dance now we're havin' fun!!

Back