• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Are the Advantages of a Center Stand?

When I got my BMW I did extensive study on the proper use of a centerstand vs. the sidestand. The results indicated that the centerstand should only be used for maintenance.

Really, an extensive study?
why not just try both and see which hold the bike up better.
For my krs the center stand is much more stable. It doesn't take much to push her off the side stand.

Use center stand most of the time.

I use the center stand more than 3/4 of the time. I LOOK for a level, hard surface to park my airheads just so I can use the center stand. When I come to a stop with the intention of parking the bike, I first deploy the side stand and exit the saddle. Then, I put the bike on its center stand.

If its really windy, the center stand is probably not a good idea. I always use the side stand in that case. I park the bike leaning away from the direction the wind is coming from so it hits the bike at an angle like a quartering headwind. Then I hook one end of a bungee cord to the deployed side stand and the other end to one of the front wheel spokes. Since the side stands are spring loaded, often a gust of wind can unload the side stand causing it to retract and the bike to fall. Rigging a bungee between the stand and front wheel keeps the stand locked forward. The bike can rock but the stand will stay deployed. Be sure to locate the hook on the foot of the stand where it will stay putnot on the shaft where it can slip.

I suggest that at some rallies we could start having parking lots for the "side st?ñnders" and one for the "center st?ñnders". With the group nicely split we could arrange an ice cream throwing contest to find "a winner" (on whatever rule).:eat

Would also look more aesthetical with the Beemers parked "in line" and not like cows on a pasture.

/Guenther

Well....as a new 2011 RT1200 owner , I'm getting really confused as to which one to use. I've read that the side stands have been letting go on some newer bikes and coming from the Harley side thats all I ever used and never worried about it.(800 lbs +)
But I must say that at 5'8" getting the RT on & off it's centre stand is very intimidating although I have been able to do it ... I guess it just depends on where you parking the bike an for how long.... ??:doh

Wow, something besides oil to argue about.

On level, solid ground, use whichever one you like.

On soft ground, the side stand with a small pad under it to spread the load.

On off-level ground, side stand and in gear with careful positioning of the bike for max stability.

That is my method.

I mostly use the center stand, but I always leave the side stand down too. Should it get knocked off the center stand (we have earthquakes here you know) it has a 50% chance of landing on the side stand.

In the 94 Northridge quake, my K75 was parked on the center stand, with the right side against my car bumper. It came off the center stand and landed left on the side stand just as planned. I now chock the front wheel too!

Wow, i would have thought it would either roll forward and side stand fold up or just the side stand would break for the sudden impact of the weight coming down on it! You're one lucky dude!

RM

I've used, replaced, fixed, bent, rebent, welded, rewelded, restored, more than a several BMW s.s. , c.s. and aftermarket s.s. and c.c. in my life so far. I guess the only time I like them is when their both retracted, outa sight and mind and I'm riding. That is if the return springs ain't broke. :banghead

My last bike didn't have a center stand and I really missed not having one.

But I only have used the center stand in the garage except for the once or twice at gas pumps thinking I could get more fuel in it. I see from previous posts that doing that isn't worth the effort.

It's a real pain doing some simple maintenance tasks without a center stand.

If the side stand is properly mounted, it should be much more steady than the center stand. I know some people whose bike fell over in strong wind when parked on the center stand.

I have a sort of trauma from my moped which had a side stand that had a 45degree lean angle, which made me very nervous...so I hardly ever use it, only when I park it for a couple of minutes.

What I usually do when I arrive somewhere, is that I kick out the side stand and put the bike on it and get off the bike. I started doing that when I was doing long trips where I got very tired and was afraid I'd drop the bike getting off (the bike was fully loaded). So I made a habit of it. When I'm off the bike, I put it on the center stand. This is much more convenient when filling her up (and I do get much more in the tank when it's straight up) and I also like to use the seats to put my helmet on.

Since I don't have a garage, I park my bike outside, under the balcony of my neighbours. It's against a wall, so I put it on the center stand and put the cover over it. It can't possibly fall over as it is, only when somebody pulls it off the stand by force. It's just a matter of habit and what you're most comfortable with.
But fact remains that the side stand is much more stable, provided it is properly fitted. That is, the proper angle and bolted properly. Three points give more support, and you can't tip it over in the direction of the stand (if it's not too steep) and the other way is also not possible. Provided you're not in a hurricane that it.

I mostly use my SS and in gear ( got yelled at by an Indy BMW shop owner.Said it is a NO NO but I still do)
I use the CT for fueling, maintenance and occasional use in my garage.
I hated the OEM SS on mine, Kept kicking the shifter and seem way too small.
I fixed that buy buying off Ebay a 2000 RTP side stand ( w/o the lock :( )
It makes the bike stand a little more upright and has a looping bend to under and around the shifter.
As a down side you can't use a peg lowering kit and most SS foot enlargers.
Still haven't bought the lock , BMW wants $117 for it but did get the relay circuit that lets me start and run the bike in neutral w/ stand down.

I have had my 2011 1200GS for a week. I don't know anything!!!
I bought my bike from San Jose BMW in Californina. The owner told me that during the 1989 Loma Prieta earth quake (7.1 magnitude), any bike on a center stand fell over. All the ones on the side stand stayed up. Mine is on the side stand. When the shaking starts, it's too hard to run to the garage and change stands while everything is falling off the shelves. However, I told my wife that when the next one happens I am going to drape myself over the bike to protect it instead of her. Priorities....

i guess i'm leverage challanged.

:dunno

I must be too! I had to enlist help to get my r12rt up on the CS yesterday.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this other than hire a personal trainer to get stronger.:scratch

Other than making the bike harder to tip and making maintenance and repair easier? I use it most of the time because I think it looks cool, but I was wondering if there are any advantages in terms of keeping weight off of the suspension and tires while parked.

I beleive that all airheads /5 and newer have a unique center stand feature. With the bike on center stand and one of the wheels removed, the bikes automatically balance back to the wheel still on the bike. Makes serviceing the wheel and tire a little easier. K100's and k75's also had this feature. With the advent of the K1100's, I think this feature was lost. If the front wheel was removed You had to use the center stand and some type of stand under the engine block to keep the bike up.

I must be too! I had to enlist help to get my r12rt up on the CS yesterday.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this other than hire a personal trainer to get stronger.:scratch

It's almost all technique with very little strength required. The best way to learn is get someone at the dealer or riding friend to show you the steps. The weight of the bike often has little to do with the difficulty involved. My F800GS is much harder than the RT when deploying the center stand. The RT is very easy once you understand the grip points and weight application.

I use the center stand almost every time I stop on level solid tarmac. On the centerstand the bike takes less room in the garage and at the gas station it allows me to check the oil level easily. On the RT the fuel fill is with the bike upright is more constant and while stopped the things I place on the seat stay put. If you have a flat tire in the road the center stand will be very useful for the repair. Both stands have their place. When I had a Harley Ultra a few years ago I added a center stand and found it very useful on that bike. We should be happy BMW makes both stands standard on the RT. It was an extra cost option on the F800GS.

It's almost all technique with very little strength required. The best way to learn is get someone at the dealer or riding friend to show you the steps. The weight of the bike often has little to do with the difficulty involved. My F800GS is much harder than the RT when deploying the center stand. The RT is very easy once you understand the grip points and weight application. yup

I use the center stand almost every time I stop on level solid tarmac. On the centerstand the bike takes less room in the garage and at the gas station it allows me to check the oil level easily.

hope you are taking long breaks at the gas station, as to get an accurate reading that accounts for oil coming out of the coolers, you need about 10-15 minutes to to allow the drain-down.

A BUMP and a story.

Seems like there are a lot more active keyboards and seasonal discussions the past few weeks. Some subjects get brought back up at least once a year, some multiple times. Oil & tires bi-monthly :laugh At times someone drags the beaten horse emoticon onto the screen and we all take a step back...sometimes. This topic is one of those that most have opinions on.

Some good debates and thoughts, however temps are rising between a few members in what should be a chance to compare thoughts and stories pro/con on some relatively light hearted topics. It's non- riding season for a lot, a drop off for some, and some are still riding when they can...I'm in the latter category . That's not a dig, just how it is at our house,sorry if it isn't where you are ,most have plan B's.
Just a reminder we are all club mates here and all opinions are welcome...just understand we are all right in our opinions and be OK with a different take...Take a minute and proof your written thoughts...can't hit Un-send ya know.

With that in mind, I have to share a story from today. I'm telling on myself for doing a simple task I've done so many times w/out a fail, but with an expensive outcome this time.:banghead I pretty much caused the whole chain of events, so no debate there.

I was going to start another thread, there are two in Airheads currently that are on the same root subject. I found this 2011 thread and why re-invent the wheel, or in this case the sidestand/centerstand.

The first was What are the Chances? about both center stand springs failing while the bike was parked....it turned into a preference thread and oil leaking into cylinders :whistle

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?71000-what-are-the-chances/page4

The second one started as an experiment in regards to the physics of the stands on Kurt's /7. It's more of the scientific approach and great for the "numbers& formulas" guys. Kind of morphed into a preference thread as well:whistle
A Study in Stability

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...versus-Centerstand/page3&highlight=side+stand

My sidestand story...y'all still here?------------------------------------------------------------:snore :type

Met up with about 10 bikes this AM for a little riding after the breakfast meet-up. I took my bro-in-laws R12R back to him after a tire change and retrieved Helen's R11R he was using. I don't ride this bike as much as others, but it's a still a fun roadster and was running well keeping a K16 in line...a little...very little. Had been out on the GSA yesterday so wasn't out of riding mode.
After a spirited ride and a stop in Luckenbach, I soloed it towards another small town nearby to catch lunch. Pulled into the curbside burger shop and pulled alongside a couple of sportbikes...who quickly earned their squid badges by leaving the scene antics.It took my attention away from parking 101 it seems. On my right was a R12R ,I left almost enough room for another bike in between us. The spaces to his right were empty.Luckily the 3 HD's that pulled up next to us later were not in line. It could have been one of those Eric Von Ziffer or WildHogs moments.

This particular R11R has had it's sidestand tweaked by a welded fatfoot style addition. I had corrected a previous attempt of fixing an always leaning bike into a better angle, but it wasn't ideal yet. I had planned on taking it back to my local welder next week as I didn't like the way it hit the cat when retracted and the angle still wasn't right. The frame mount is the issue, known to folks with these bikes...a new stand still heels way over....makes you want to use the centerstand...there, I said it!
Anyways, as I put the stand down, I noticed I was on an incline and the bike was almost upright. I rolled back and re-set...looks OK at this angle and rotated the bars to check stability...still good.
Dismounted,removed helmet/gloves and started towards the door as I caught the image of a slow motion tip over in progress. At first I said $#!@ , bikes going down...much to my horror, the windscreen caught the left cylinder of the 12R and over it went as well...i ran over and picked up the 12 and then picked up our 11...looked up to see at least 8 kids and parents big -eyed in the large window. The owner didn't come running up as I was waiting for the WTF???
A few minutes later, the guy came around the corner and asked how old my bike was?...I said "we could discuss that in a second, however, I just ruined your afternoon by knocking your bike over" He walked over and saw the damage and was pretty calm. I asked how he wanted to proceed and we agreed if I replaced the damaged pieces he would install them. He mentioned the same damage had happened before...just a little worse this time. Looks like BOTH valve covers, the rear passenger peg mount,peg bracket and rubber, RR blinker assy, barweight and one plastic spark plug cover. If it were my bike I would refinish the covers...but that's fine as he wasn't the one who knocked his bike over.The initial cost is around $700, will order in the AM.

I will refinish the old stuff to repair a PO hit on Helens 12R I discovered JBWelded inside the cover from a tipover on that bike. A variety of OEM or aftermarket valve cover guards would def have diminished the damage on either of these 12R's. H's bike got some the week she got it...but that's water under the bridge at this point...my inattention and unfinished project stand are all on me. Sorry that fella received the results for it.
After we talked, he told me he was a member of the local club...not the way to meet for sure...an ex-prez's work is never done!

The damage to H's bike was the loss of the windscreen...it's actually the one off bro-in-laws old yeller 1100 that he had some stickers on from MX and his 3 & 4K mileage stickers ...he puts his sidecases and windshield on it when he uses it for longer times. I haven't told him it's done...folks were asking about those stickers this morning:bolt

On the HD's...one guy decided he was going to ride on the sidewalk to get front and center so folks sitting outdoors could hear and see him instead of taking the spot away from his buddies...he almost hit the 11R...Was kinda hoping at that point he would so the damage could be passed on..I think the 12R rider saw it happening all over again...we just watched.
first and last time to try that particular stop as well...bad juju on first time

In light of Henzilla's comment I'm going to compromise my opinion and go with both "camps" here. Put her up on center stand and then deploy the side stand (both actuated) ....and if she ever falls over, I'm not going to write about it here.

Maybe this helps explain why so many BMWs had sidecars attached to them over the years? :laugh

Back