• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Centralia, PA

roborider

God? What god?
I can't find any posts about this, but I have a hard time imagining that it has not come up.

Not far from the Rally site is Centralia, PA, the town that had it's underground coal catch fire. It has since been mostly evacuated but continues to smolder underground. It's worth a 30 minute stop to look around.

Google it or use wikipedia for more information.

Here you see the old road that is cracked and buckled from the heat, with smoke coming out. It's sort of like Yellowstone in the East!

Attachments

• P2040418.JPG
    P2040418.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 75
I figured it must have popped up somewhere. Nice job finding it. No use continuing here, go to that thread.

I will say that if you are in the area, I enjoyed it. Some obviously did not, but I find abandoned areas pretty fascinating and if you are willing to look around, go around barriers, etc., you can find interesting stuff.

Pre reading the history will add to the fun.

I figured it must have popped up somewhere. Nice job finding it. No use continuing here, go to that thread.

I will say that if you are in the area, I enjoyed it. Some obviously did not, but I find abandoned areas pretty fascinating and if you are willing to look around, go around barriers, etc., you can find interesting stuff.

Pre reading the history will add to the fun.

Abandoned towns? We've got a lot that are on their way, but you might like,

Austin PA, http://austindam.net/

If you're ever in Johnstown, PA, down near Pittsburgh, the flood museum is a must see.

Back