• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Speed W Numbers and Rear Drive Ratios

R

rbleau

Hiya - I searched the MOA forum a bit, sorry if I missed a prior post, but I am looking for the list that matches rear drive ratios with "W" numbers in the speedo unit. I have a 1973 R60/5 with a 37/11 rear drive. Not surprisingly, the odometer failed. I read Snowbum's articles, and some ABC tech stuff, and he nicely calculates a theoretical "accurate" ratio - but I am looking for what are the actual W numbers BMW put in the bikes ! Thanks in advance....tough to read the speedo head stamping on the /45 unit but it "looks" like 1.215, assuming the German "1" looks sort of like a funny number "7". :bikes

even if it is the wrong ratio, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to fail.

And . .. . according to the guys at Palo Alto Speedo, the intermittent shock loads caused by a bunged-up drive cable can cause instrument failure...

They're old instruments. I just had mine rebuilt too.

the German "1" looks sort of like a funny number "7".

Hence the reason for the slash...

Hand_written_7.png

And . .. . according to the guys at Palo Alto Speedo, the intermittent shock loads caused by a bunged-up drive cable can cause instrument failure...

I agree with some malfunctioning equipment. But the OP seemed to suggest that running a rear drive not compatible to the speedometer ratio would cause it to fail. Even it were the correct ratio, a bad cable can still break something. :dunno

If that is an original (unmodified) speedometer, it should have a W1244 (1.244 on snowbums article) code if it is in miles per hour and calibrated for 3.36:1 findal drive ratio. That indicates the input cable turns 1244 revs per mile.

Back