• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 R1200GS Adventure and the Total Control Course

Jim Rogers

I think my incomplete title may have contributed to a low response rate so I am trying again. Then again, it may be due to the starting of the riding season and good weather.

Taking the Lee Parks Total Control course in June on Heidi. The book is ordered, prereading, ya know. Heidi is pretty nimble but I have limited experience on her (~1000 miles). I am a bit concerned even though I have been riding for decades since she is so top heavy. Any experiences to relate would be helpful.

I think my incomplete title may have contributed to a low response rate so I am trying again. Then again, it may be due to the starting of the riding season and good weather.

Taking the Lee Parks Total Control course in June on Heidi. The book is ordered, prereading, ya know. Heidi is pretty nimble but I have limited experience on her (~1000 miles). I am a bit concerned even though I have been riding for decades since she is so top heavy. Any experiences to relate would be helpful.
Hi Jim, I haven't taken the course but have read the book. Feedback from those that have taken the course has been real positive. As for your low response rate-could be a number of factors. Chances are quite a few people that have taken the course but don't visit the Hex/Cam area. I'm going to move this thread over to Motorrad. Chances are you'll get better exposure. Good luck and if you can, write up a ride report and let us all know how it went. Gary

I took the course last summer in Springfield MO on my 2008 GS complete with Jesse bags. The class is advertised as guaranteeing measurable improvement, but i'm not sure about that. Class room sessions by Lee were pretty much what is in the book. The parking lot drills were grouped, I think, by bike types, so you will probably be with similar type bikes. The drills will be like you see in the book. I don't think the type of bike will really matter, but .... for a guy that has as much experience as you do, I'm not so sure how much you'll get out of it. I was a newbie and I thought it was fun, but at the end of the day he spent some time giving us a crash course on suspension which pretty much was an advertisement for a sponsor i think and was a waste of time for most people. Summary: the bike you're on won't matter.

I'm talking the course up here in the summer, so can't specifically reply to your question but do know that slow speed manouvers are the hardest to master. I also know, from being a MSF Instructor that dry clutch bikes are not as forgiving as wet clutch bikes. Much easier on the clutch to slip a wet clutch.

That being said I would suggest that you practice a few figure 8's in a parking lot just to get a feel for the balance of the bike at slower speeds. Everybody going to the course will have the same concerns but like most things it will work itself out.

I took the course on my 2008 GS. There were Adventures in the class. I got a lot out of the class, mostly things I knew, but didn't do. Lee demo'd dragging a knee puck on my bike. The next day he did it two up. I didn't drag, but one student did. I came close. It's important to know how low you can go. I also learned to do tight circles at full lock without slipping the clutch. The guy with the Adventure said "no way!" then when out and did it. You will learn a lot and have fun.

Jay

Just completed last Saturday.

You are never too old to learn.. it was a challenging and rewarding experience.
I did this course on my 1977 R75/7 and my son did it on his 02 Buell Firebolt.

The course had it's slow moments but when all put together is was well worth the time and experience.

I am running stock size street tires and I achieved slow speed 1st gear pegs down performance and learned to turn and corner better with improved confidence.

Also in the class was a new GSA 1200 , a newer 1200RT, a Harley dresser hog, Kaw Versa, Triumph Twin 900, a Kaw Hog look alike, Duke Monster, Honda VFR 900 and Honda 250 Rebel..

I have to say.. the GS was impressive to watch. He was able to drag the knee.. multiple times. His bike was so new, it still had nipples on the tires in the centers.

so a wide variety of bikes... none were dropped.. and we all are better riders at the end of the day.

Do not ever think you know it all.

Good stuff. :eat

Jim, Ketchikan

Total Control instructor here, please PM me if you have any specific questions and I'll try and answer.

The biggest thing we've found instructing the clinic and other track schools for street riders in the Oklahoma/Kansas/Arkansas area is the very old age of tires. Not so much mileage, but 4-6 years old, very hard tires which do not flex and adhere well to road surfaces when pushed to the limit.

Like everyone says, the bike doesn't matter, the rider does. Go into it with an open mind and have fun! And attending with friends is good too as now a shared experience can be had by all!

Back