• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Review of 2011 R1200RT

Thanks for the link. However I am surprised by this statement:
"I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the RT has the best mirrors in motorcycling ÔÇô the view aft is clear, expansive and obstruction-free."

On my 2010 I mostly see my arm in the mirrors which always gives me a fright because whenever I see something in my mirror I think it's a car that came out of nowhere! :eek

Maybe the author doesn't see his arms in the mirrors because he is 6'-3"...

I agree about the inadequacy of the mirrors. I got a 2011 in December. Within 2 weeks I added mirrors so I can see behind me. Now I never even look in the stock mirrors.

I agree about the inadequacy of the mirrors. I got a 2011 in December. Within 2 weeks I added mirrors so I can see behind me. Now I never even look in the stock mirrors.

Odd- I bought an 2011 RT about a month ago. Based upon riders reports I had read, I knew upfront I would immediately be putting mirrors on it so I wasn't upset.
Then I got it the first day and rode it. These mirrors work far superior to any mirror I have ever had on a bike. Unobstructed and perfectly adjusted. I am 6'2" with a long upper torso so maybe thats it?? I don't know , but I am 110% happy with the mirrors when I fully anticipated they would stink. :brow

Same for me. My mirrors are fantastic. I also am about 6-1. I imagine height, riding posture, seat position, etc. all have an effect, but for me, they are great.

OK, I had to laugh my butt off over this:

"...but the biggest surprise was the six speed box that shifted smoothly and silently with a crisp, short throw. It's a welcome improvement from previous BMW boxer transmissions that occasionally felt like you were stirring a bucket of rocks with a canoe paddle. "

I have the 05 with the 'bucket of rocks' transmission. It works great, I'm fine with it, pretty used that on BMW boxer trannies, but I'd like to know if there is an 2011 owner out there that can confirm this?

Well, I have a 2010, so as far as I know.. same transmission. Silent, NO.. Hell NO. (When downshfiting)

Crisp, Yes. Short....MEH.

I traded a 2006 RT for a 2011 RT last October. The 2006 had 72000 miles on it and I noticed the 2011 gearbox was improved as a far shifting throw and smoothness, particularly between the 1-2 up-shift. The 06 gearbox never gave me any problem and seemed to perform consistently through the miles I owned it. Nothing at all wrong with the 06, but the 2011 is noticeably smoother shifting and I would say quieter.

Oh, the mirrors worked great for me on both bikes. The need for different mirrors was never considered. 6'0".

Of course our impression of shifting.. is "compared" too. I came from a cheap Japanese cruiser, a Suzuki Boulevard C50T and that is what I made my assessment from.

Compared to that bike, the RT transmission is louder and not as short, but crisper. So everything is "relative."

And I have no problems with the mirrors... 6'0' here (long torso, only 31" inseam)

I raced dirt bikes for years (Enduros, mostly Kawasakis and KTM's) and their transmissions are also (IMHO) superior to any street bikes I've ridden. Short, fast little ''snick'' and fairly quiet. I don't really understand why street bikes have pretty clunky transmissions? (at least the street bikes I've ridden)

What gives?

This might not be universal, but wet clutch trannies seem to shift well. My Honda CBR shifts with just thinking about it.

Dry clutch seem to be clunky, at least BMW and Harley.

But I don't have enough wide scope experience to say much more. That is why I was wondering about the 2011 RT being smooth, as it is a dry clutch.

Previously had a 2007, now have a 2011. I thought maybe it was just me when I first rode my 2011, but the transmission is definitely better in the 2011. I have not been able to find any references to changes made in the transmissions between the years. But the first thing I noticed when I rode the 2011 was the transmission shifted smoother. I never had any problems with the 2007, it just was like all the other BMW transmissions I had ridden, the 2011 is different. Don't know what they did, but the 1st to 2nd is really where you notice it. I bought the 2007 used, so I did not break it in, so who knows how the previous owner rode it, but I did buy the 2011 new.

Steve

I have an 2010 R1200 RT and have found the mirrors to work a lot better than I had expected. Also at the higher rpms it shifts very smooth. The only time it sounds clunky is when I'm shifting in the lower rpms.

My Harley has a wet clutch and shifts pretty smooth regardless of the rpms.

Newer R1200RT Reviews

I have the 2010 R1200RT and my comments on the prior posts:
1 - Mirrors are pretty good compared to my prior bikes. I think the trick on the RT is to adjust them well. Play around with them until you get them the way you want. At first I had issues. Not anymore. Btw, I'm 5'10" with 32" inseam.
2 - Transmission is very good but not short shifting. I am one that likes the way BMW transmissions "clunk" into gear. Seldom do i miss a shift or find a false neutral. I'm still on dino oil on my RT but it slips into 1st gear quietly even when it's cold. To solve down shifting issues down shift at the right speed and engine RPM. In addition, BMWs are one of the few bikes that get better as you add miles to them. Mine is at 11,600 miles so I'm about to do the 12K service. To me... it just keeps getting better every 2K miles. :)

tsp
2010 R1200RT
Blog with bike review: www.swriding.blogspot.com

Back