• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Made the leap of faith today - A new 2011 1200RT

irishspirit

I'm a new member as of yesterday, and a new owner as of today! Very enthused about my new bike, and feel a bit guilty about letting my Honda XR650 go. I've been wanting an RT since I bought my last bike 12 years ago, and it was worth the wait. I take delivery on Tuesday and will be in bike heaven :clap Looking forward to learning more in the club and hopefully enjoying some club rides in Washington State. I've already picked up many tips on this forum that aided me in my negotiations, thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks! I have to ask though, what does farkling mean?
motorcycle slang for accessories, contraction of function and sparkle. Adding GPS, running lights, new windshield, new seat, chrome plated welded chain license plate holder, all the things your new BMW desperately needs :laugh

It means spending of money has just begun. Know what else? I fought many an Irish Fan today negotiating traffic in South Bend. Today is the blue gold game.

Did you pick the bike up from South Sound BMW? They have some great meetings or events there with movies/picture demonstrations from people who have done world class rides. Take advantage of that, very few dealers offer such activities. Although I do not live there my brother is always down there buying new bikes or attending the seminars etc that they have. Get on their mailing list. Also, buy the service manual, probably on cd and do all your work or at least be knowlegable about what they do. I did this and the bike, 1150RT runs great, looks great and I can repair just about anything, it's not that hard. Plus we have each other in the BMWMOA, really wonderful organization and great people. Have fun with your NEW beemer machine.

...farkling...? Irish Spirit

Welcome. And I see your RT is just a short ride away from the south leg of the Cascade Loop.

Farkle: fancy accessory really kool likely expensive.

Sometimes attributed to Pete Wells, the organizer of an ST 1100 rally.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, what a great group! I'll answer a few questions in the one email here. Olsensan, actually I bought it through Ride West in Seattle. I'm told from the salesman that both dealerships are owned by the same owner. They have been very good to work with, and were not pushy. As far as I'm concerned, they have earned my future business and referrals. I appreciate the tips on the South Sound "events", and I can see that will be a good excuse for a ride already :)

I will do some of my own service in the future, no doubt about it. I grew up in the automotive field, so I'm used to wrenching to an extent. I have to admit, I don't do nearly what I used to, but on toys it's always different. I'm really looking forward to connecting with some folks that tour in the area. I am a family man, so my spare time is at the whims of kids and spouse, but I am fortunate that both are understanding of my passions. So I'll be able to take some time here and there and can't wait.

Rinty - the cascade loop is a must! My dad lives in Winthrop, and it is a stunning loop ride, equal in beauty to the best of what my limited travels have shown me. While it is still burried with snow right now, they are getting closer to clearing it for the spring. A visit to see dad and his wife and show off my new toy will be an enjoyable weekend event!

Thanks again to all for the notes, and I'll post a picuture on Tuesday evening....you can bet on that!

Thanks Bluegrass, I am having lots of fun searching the forum for different ideas! The truth is that I'm going to have to settle for just "petting" RT for a while as my piggy bank is empty. However, I'm sure going to have fun exercising and waxing it in the mean time :brad

Thanks for the note....only 5 hours until I pick it up!

ENJOY! May feel different to you at first.. I was advised (coming from a cruiser) that it would take 1000 miles to really get comfortable on it... I would say within 200 I was feeling pretty comfortable.. and then the grin just kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger...!! Bike is amazing... just amazing.

Thanks Phil, I'll definately be taking it easy for a while. It's a huge step up from what I'm on now! Looks like I may get to do some initial break in during typical Seattle weather, a bit cool and rainy out......but nothing will dampen the thrill today.

Today was a great day! Not only did I pick up my new bike, but the sun came out, and the normal 10 miles home turned into 85. The bike is a dream and is unbelievably smooth. It's going to take me a bit to get all the controls down, but I will enjoy the training. Here it is in our driveway straight from the dealership.....ok, maybe not straight :dance

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 54
Nice looking bike Don (looks just like mine- Thunder Grey) Sweet!

Awesome, Enjoy. Ride it in the Best of Health!

Thanks Phil! It really is a pretty color combination. My wife and daughter helped me take delivery. Pam told me she would have been in this photo as well, except between the two of us and my smile, there just wasn't room......sun's out, so I get my first ride to the office, have a great day!

Attachments

• IMG_1340.JPG
    IMG_1340.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 50
Back