• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

handguards for 2009 g650gs

RIK

Recently acquired a preowned 2009 g650gs. OEM handguards were not in the package. I am looking at OEM and touratech. Touratech requires raising bar which would be a plus for me. I am looking at the wiring to the controls though and am wondering if I can. Does anyone out there have experience with this?

Have put two sets of handguards on my G650GS. First was a set of the Touratech handguards, which I didn't like as they're just plastic and were surprisingly hard to fit. Now I have a set of the BarkBusters which are great and much easier to install. I did the Handlebar risings (35MM) that came with the Touratech guards, as well as the braided brake cable extension. I had the dealership install the risers/cable during a tune-up visit, as I wasn't 100% confident I would get it right. The BarkBusters not only have a metal bar protector, but are much easier to install, so I recommend going for them on combination with a bar riser kit/cable extension.

FYI, to my knowledge there isn't a G650GS package that has handguards. This bike has been stripped down to the basics, for entry level riders (I guess), and the twins (650 & 800 and, of course, 1200) are getting the GS attention now.

This is the part number for the OEM hand guards for the F650GS, 05-07, single cylinder. If you can get your bike together with one of its ancestors then perhaps you'll be able to tell if it will fit yours.

A quick comparison of the two bikes on a fiche revels nothing that would prohibit using the older hand guards. Good luck.

By the way, my wife has the Bark Busters on her F650GS Twin and they were easy to mount, fit well and offer good wind/impact protection.

71607682222 SET: SET HAND PROTECTOR 1.17 lbs. $110.95

Recently acquired a preowned 2009 g650gs. OEM handguards were not in the package. I am looking at OEM and touratech. Touratech requires raising bar which would be a plus for me. I am looking at the wiring to the controls though and am wondering if I can. Does anyone out there have experience with this?

I have the OEM bars and added the Wunderlich plastic guards. I can remove the guards by taking out 2 screws for summer on road riding while leaving the bars in place. Easy to install yourself.

My Hubby just installed a set of OEM hand guards on our son's '10 G650GS. They went on really easily, no need to move anything, took about 10 minutes or so.

I have Barkbusters on an 07 and they should fit the G bike. I had the bmw guards and they were okay for blocking the wind but very flimsy when the bike falls over.

The barkbusters have saved my levers many times,get the barkbusters with the storm plastics!!!
Cal

bar riser and control wiring

fyi... installed riser and longer brake line this past weekend. wiring was a problem as i suspected. but not much. drop fork tubes out of steering head (pinch bolts 23nm or 17 ft/lb) then route wiring behind the head. don't forget internal heated grip wires. tie in wiring as at full turn radius there is a pinch point. add extra anti-chafe. unless you want to fiddle with soldering ABS and hazard switches, install plate 90 degree from original position to accommodate associated wiring. that's it.

Last edited:
Back