• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 bmw r1100rs

M

MJinCP

Considering a purchase of this model. I've not owned an air-cooled, boxer-type BMW before, just K's. Any input would be appreciated. Pros / Cons? What can I expect? Thank you!

That's an oilhead i.e. oil cooled. Not a much power as a K bike, or heat off the pipes. More fun to ride as the front end feels lighter, but kind of numb, as you don't get as much feedback. You'll use the gears more.

I have a '94 R1100RS. Had it since '97. My bike has 51,000 miles on odometer Mostly pros. Good all around bike. Can be a good commuter and nice weekend canyon carver. With the big lid bags, trunk, tankbag, etc. can be great for 2 up touring. Back when they were the latest greatest, it seemed like a lot of the new owners had their trannies changed out due to clunkiness. Turns out the early, clunky trannys were probably the better unit. Early clutchs also went away fast, replacement clutch were upgraded. A lot of the first owners bent or broke their wheels and were dealer replaced. Avoid big pot holes and such. Like most BMW's the shocks went away pretty fast. Cheap fix is to buy low mileage shock take offs. Good pricey shocks also solve the problems of of the sub standard stock shock. A lot of the early owners had a problem with the throttle bodies not always being in sync. Much time was spent educating riders into syncing their throttle bodies. Aftermarket companies stepped in with the dial in fuel delivery box or units to give better control and stopped the surging.

Clean up on Aisle 7 please. Mods- Aisle 7, requesting clean up.

please move to Oilheads.

I went form a K75, to a K11RS, to a R1100S.
Oilhead = less heat, similar power, but less peaky/more torque. K was buzzier in its vibration, S more throbbing (twin much less bothersome in its vibration than the K).
MUCH less heat production!!!!!!
Heavier feeling front end, especially at slower speeds, but the anti-dive characteristic of the Telelever is a huge advantage.
1994 RS had faulty transmissions- hopefully this one has been updated to a later edition.
Did i mention less heat on the oilhead?

My best bike I have ever owned, since Oct 94, and still enjoying it today. Now at "only" 154,000 miles. Got a ways to go to match Voni's bike.

I have done lots of updates and modifications, but its still a great ride.

Another Fan

Go for it. EASY to work on, once you learn a few things.

I'll echo Voni, "best bike I've ever owned" and there have been a few. Larger riders may need to tweak the ergos with aftermarket accessories, but the bike fits me perfectly (5-10, 145#) and mine is bone-stock. This bike has a lot of fans, and if you ride one, you'll know why: Major fun factor. Maybe not the most practical, nor the fastest, and certainly not the newest. . .but they have magic.

My co-rider and I enjoyed a checkerboard K1200RS and the unlimited power for two-up loaded touring, but this bike is more fun, IMHO.

Some complain about the original "clunky" transmission, but mine is an original tranny, and you just learn it's ways -- I've not missed a shift since the first day of ownership. . .(well, hardly ever).

I bought this pristine, white, one-owner bike from a caring owner, learned how to adjust the valves and synch the throttle-bodies, and have never looked back. If you can find a good one, you'll be happy.

Walking Eagle

Just Like you!

I just purchased my 94 R1100RS about 4 weeks ago and it was delivered 2 weeks ago.

I had previously had a '76 R90/6 which I owned for 15 years. I loved that bike, it was easy to work on and with the upgrades (mostly performance) that I had made it was pretty fast bike.

When I decided to get a bike again, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go airhead or oilhead. My dilemma was that I liked the styling of the air heads and the easy of maintenance. What I didn't like was the ride, riding position, lack of wind protection and no travel bags.

I spent a lot of time looking at different bikes and was torn between the R1100RS and the RT. I chose the RS as it have more of a sporty "feel/look".

So I started my quest and found a beautiful one with aftermarket shocks, barbacks, abs, Russell daylong saddle, and matching paint sidebags. It was a killer deal.

So, last weekend was my first "ride" on it. It was only about 70 miles, mostly through the country roads is SW Ohio, but I have to say that I am thrilled with my purchase. Nice and nimble through the turns, great acceleration and decent wind protection.

I hope you find what you are looking for, I am very happy that I did.

HP

That's an oilhead i.e. oil cooled. Not a much power as a K bike, or heat off the pipes. More fun to ride as the front end feels lighter, but kind of numb, as you don't get as much feedback. You'll use the gears more.

This might be like splitting hairs, but I wouldn't want a new R bike rider to get the wrong idea. Oilheads, R bikes made from 1993 through 2005, and even the newer Hexheads (2005 - 2009) and Camheads (2010+) are all air cooled. The "oil" part refers to an additional oil pump that shoots cooler oil under the piston to HELP cool the bike.
You still need moving air over the cylinders to cool the bike. You don't want to start the bike and let it stand for minutes while you do something. Start the bike, ride away.

I have 70K on my 94 RSL and plan on putting at least 70K more on her. Great bike, maybe the best backroads touring bike ever made :D

The early RS is a great bike. I like them so much that I purchased a not so well cared for '95RSL in December. My son and I are right in the middle of a year long project to bring her back to her best days.

Back in Feb.
medium.jpg

April
medium.jpg

The early Oilhead is a future classic.

I have about 113k on my '94 RS, and I love the bike. With three seat positions and adjustable handlebars, you can make the bike fit you rather than the other way around. The one weak spot to look for is a problem in the transmission. Look for a feeling like it's "skipping a tooth" under acceleration. A good description of what's happening is on Anton Largiader's page: http://largiader.com/tech/oiltrans/ Mine had the problem in 2nd gear when I bought it, so I had the transmission rebuilt at 40k miles. 73k since then, and it shifts like butter. :thumb

This might be like splitting hairs, but I wouldn't want a new R bike rider to get the wrong idea. Oilheads, R bikes made from 1993 through 2005, and even the newer Hexheads (2005 - 2009) and Camheads (2010+) are all air cooled. The "oil" part refers to an additional oil pump that shoots cooler oil under the piston to HELP cool the bike.
You still need moving air over the cylinders to cool the bike. You don't want to start the bike and let it stand for minutes while you do something. Start the bike, ride away.

One minor quibble here. The second oil pump does not shoot oil under the piston. What the system has is a low volume high pressure pump for lubrication and a high volume low pressure pump for cooling. Both pump chambers are on the same shaft. The cooling oil is circulated through large oil passages in the cylinders and heads to keep things cool at the hottest parts of the engine around the exhaust valves. The oil circulates through a real oil cooler or two which functions as the oil radiator.

But as noted above, the bike needs a flow of air for cooling both the cylinders and the oil cooler because except for police bikes or add-ons, there are no radiator fans on the oil cooler(s).

There have been a number of cases of blistered paint on lower fairings on RT and RSL models from bikes parked left idling. There is one fairly well documented case where a bike left idling in a garage eventually caught fire and also caught the house on fire. Shortly thereafter BMW discontinued the R1100RSL model in the United States but continued to sell that model in Europe, apparently based on the belief that it was safe to sell these bikes to Germans but not to us. So the point is well made even if the technical details of the cooling system wasn't quite right.

I go through bikes pretty quick... BUT, I keep coming back to the R1100RS. It does EVERYTHING well. Im on #3 R1100RS, and I love it. Ive had K bikes, Aprilia Futuras, Buells, Suzukis, you name it. The R1100RS is the Swiss Army knife of aspalt going motorcycles. I've done Reg Pridmore CLASSes on one, ridden all over the US on em, and hauled groceries on em.

I wish BMW would come out with them again, or an updated model that had its qualities and characteristics.

I went from a 02005 R1200RT to a 1995 R1100RSL and never looked back. One sits on the RT and sits in the RS. Much more fun with the RS. I added barracks and a throttlemeister for touring and I was good to go.

I would certainly buy another RS, which in itself is the greatest compliment to the bike. It is without doubt the best overall bike I have ever owned, which also explains why it is still with me after 16 years and 154K miles.

Heck, I wish I had 200K or 300K on it.

As it is now, a 2003 RS (before the wizzy brakes models) with low miles to me would be like a brand new bike. But it would be an RS with a better shifting tranny than the early models. But once you learn to shift on its terms, keep the clutch splines properly lubed, and keep the clutch properly adjusted, it shifts just fine (typical for a BMW twin).

Well, I'm sure you've made your decision by now about this bike, but I have to agree with all the comments made so far, just in case someone else is reading this and considering a used RS. I bought mine about 4 years ago with just over 70k on it. The previous owner had replaced the shocks with Ohlins (sp?) units and other than a clutch replacement at 85k, have had absolutely NO problems with it. It's apart right now in my garage for 12k service, valve adjustment and steel braided brake lines installation. Mine is an ABS model (I've never seen one without ABS...maybe it's standard). I have system bags and trunk and do cross country rides and commuting...just generally a FUN bike to ride. It's not gonna win any races, but it is VERY reliable and comfortable for me (5'7"-165#), even with the stock seat. Bar backs (I got the "Bob's" brand), a throttlemeister, and an airhawk on the seat pretty much completes the package. I have a few different windscreens for it but generally, I use the stock one for local stuff and a British "touring" screen, slightly taller than stock for cross country. 75-140 trans and diff oil improved (but didn't eliminate) the clunky shifting. Current miles are 95k and I'm going to Wisconsin from Nevada on it in September.

R1100rs

I have owned 2 of them at different times with no mechanical problems. It is the best Long Distance, High Speed Mile Burner I have ever ridden. I live about 400 miles from Montreal in North Eastern PA. One Saturday my wife and I left Scranton at 12:30. We were on the Canadian border by 18:00 hrs and in Montreal by 19:00. This with 2 stops including one for food.
Japanese Speed: How fast can I get from 0-150mph?
American Cruiser Speed: How fast can I get to a bar?
German Speed: How fast can I get from Boston to Kansas City?

Regards,

Will

Back