• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pannier hinge repair- pls help!

gene36542

One of the hinge bolts worked loose on my pannier (main body, not lid side) 2006R1200RT. It appears to gain access to the "nut" side I have to remove the entire liner... Does that entail removing every screw inside? Anyone ever done this? Would simply using a blind rivet work? Thanks for your help...:banghead

No help at all guys/gals?

Is it possible / relatively easy to remove the inside hard liner or should I just try a rivet?:ear

RepROM says:
  • Remove case lid
    • unhook strap
    • remove screws connecting hinge to lid
  • Remove hinge from bottom (two more screws/hinge)
  • Remove inner shell
    • Remove two (4 x 12) screws at upper rear of the case
    • Remove three (4 x 14) screws at lower front of the case
    • Remove two (5 x 24) screws at back lower center
    • Remove seven (5 x 16) (all that are left)

How this resolves your problem is questionable as I understand it. Your hinge screw is loose yet the hinge is one of the first things to remove and the last thing to install. :dunno

The nuts aren't captive... with the liner in place they are no where to be found and it appears that the liner needs to be removed to get at them... yes?

Final answer is...

I finally was able to take the side case apart. The hinge "nuts" are... or should I say were held captive. They WERE attached to the inner liner by means of a small plastic tab. Unfortunately my screws didn't loosen, the tab broke. I'll try to secure the hinge to just the outer case and use a fender washer to spread the load and hope for the best. Thanks for the help :)

Back