• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tire Pressure Monitor Intermittent

marty

Marty
The warning lights went on for the Tire Pressure Monitor on Thursday. I checked and the pressures were fine. After starting it again the front tire read, but the rear didn't at 1st then registered later.
Again yesterday the yellow warning light went on while I was riding showing blank readings for both tires. Air pressure still OK. The front tire read again, but the rear tire never showed a reading.
Has anyone run into this before as I hate the yellow triangle?

Isn't that the "maximum rider weight exceeded" warning? :nyah

Actually, it sounds like the batteries are going dead in the pressure sensors.

Tpm

Hey thanks Rob, about the TPM battery, not the weight issue! LOL!
I'll stop by the dealer tomorrow as I'll be in the area.
Turned out to be nice later yesterday and I went out for a ride after 5:00 pm.
Nice ride, but the TPM went out again after registering fine for 1/2 hour.
Nice tomorrow, so I'll be riding to my early meeting then seeing Endras BMW.
Thanks for the advice ... I guess I'd better start working out!

HAHA!
I only kid about weight because I recently turned into quite a fatass. But I can joke around since it resulted from quitting smoking. Although my doctor was SHOCKED that I had gained 35 pounds in 3 months...and scolded me for it.

From what I understand, the TPM sensors are a sealed unit, you can't change the batteries. Instead, you have to replace the sensors. So...how are your tires? You might want to wait until it's time to replace them before popping them off to replace the sensors. But if you're like me, you hate the warning light and will take care of it soon.

I would guess yours are about 4 years old, so it makes sense that they are dying. Plus, you put a lot of miles on your GT compared to a lot of guys. The age and the miles have conspired to freak you out with a warning light!

Good luck Bro. I've only got about 2000 miles on mine so far, and it just gets better all the time.

Rob

Tpm

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the info on the TPM ... it makes sense now.
I just had a new rear ... tire that is, put on, so I'll forgo the expense for now.

I rode to some meetings this morning and no yellow triangle, however, the rear tire pressure did not show up.
It was 64 farnheit yesterday and 40 this morning! Ouch!
I did wear my vest and had the seat and grips high, but had to turn down the grips.:dance
I rode from the 1st meeting to the 2nd without ear plugs and that Aeroflow was fantastic ... really quiet! Good call, thanks.

Our guitarist quit smoking 4 years ago and gained 65 lbs! He subsequently lost the weight as he stopped thinking that gravy was a beverage!:laugh
You should be able to lose the weight like Billy.
He couldn't believe how good the food tasted after quitting and he didn't need to replace the smoking with food anymore.
His secret to losing weight ... coffee & stress with just a touch of anxiety!:scratch

Thanks again and hope to see you on the road. California is on my bucket list of rides.

...gravy is not a beverage? :scratch HAHA!!!

Yes, I'm confident I can manage the weight issue. But right now it's killing me. My jeans are so tight that I'm not properly digesting my meals, which makes it even harder to lose the weight.
And there is NO WAY I'M BUYING BIGGER CLOTHES. That's just not an option, as far as I'm concerned. But I have been wearing sweats at home to let the bulge out.

My wife (bless her heart) has recently gotten into this Mexican food kick. Her enchiladas are AWESOME. But I'm going to have to ask her to cut back a bit, because I just don't have the willpower to ignore that stuff when I open the fridge. I think she's doing it on purpose so all those young girlies will leave me alone...

I have a couple of rides coming up this weekend, and I might even have one or two cameras mounted on the GT by then. Stay tuned for some video...

Oh yeah, the TPM...
I'll be replacing the sensors next time the tires come off. When the batteries go dead, or the tires wear out, whichever comes first. And if the batteries die first, it might be an excuse to get some PR2's...

Enjoy!
Rob

Tpm

Hey Rob,

Billy also thought pizza was an hors d'ouvre! :clap
He did buy bigger clothes, then smaller clothes, then smaller ones still. It was a viscous cycle!:bikes

Wives are wonderful. Pat would make me garlic ribs before I was allowed to go play music in the bars! One night I asked "who stinks"? Then they all pointed to ME!
Your wife is just helping you not to have to put up with the hassle of those young women at work harassing you!:nono

Hope you get the camera mounted. It's always fun to check out rides.
What program, or how do you edit your footage? I have some vacation vids on my Go Pro, but I don't know how to edit them.
Any help would be appreciated.

I'll look at new tires with the different compounds when I do my next tire change. i'll also renew the pressure monitors then.

Raining and cool today, but nice tomorrow, so I have set up a quick ride with a Harley friend. Friday will be nice but just over 40 degrees, so I'll drive to my seminar.

Good luck telling the Mrs. you don't like her cooking! Just kidding. John:D

I bought the full suite of AVS (avs4you.com, I think) for something like $60-$70. I have a lot of different video tools that I use, but AVS works best for an old PC like mine (WinXP 32 bit). Unfortunately, it will not output 60 frame video (but will recognize and use it).
The better choice, especially if you have an up-to-date PC, is Sony Vegas. It has full 60 frame support.

Video

Hey Rob,

Thanks, I'll check out the Sony for the editing.
I've never had a video camera before, so it should be fun.
Getting ready to go riding with my Harley friend (3rd gear only!:cry).
He's the guy that sold his older 1200GT Taxi for the Sportster?
He likes it and that's all that matters.:bikes
Have fun in the sun!
John

Back