• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Stick coil help!!

CharlieAllnutt

With no dealer in my home state, I'm going to have to replace stick coils and plugs myself and my repair manual isn't very enlightening. Can someone give me a step-by-step breakdown of the procedure? It's a 2004 RT.

With no dealer in my home state, I'm going to have to replace stick coils and plugs myself and my repair manual isn't very enlightening. Can someone give me a step-by-step breakdown of the procedure? It's a 2004 RT.

disconnect wire connector from stick coil
remove stick coil
remove plug
install new plug
install new stick coil
reconnect wire
:blush

A follow-up question....

Can this be done without the official BMW plug socket puller, #12 3 520, and spark plug wrench, #12 3 510? Or will ordinary, less high-end tools suffice?

Last edited:
The spark plug deepsocket in the toolkit is fine; I stick a fat screwdriver thru its holes to loosen & re-tighten. (Contrary to what some may advise, I also apply a tiny bit of oil + moly grease to the plug threads before re-installing - it is an interface between dissimilar metals.) Any thin-wall deepsocket of the right size should also be fine.

It is strongly recommended to blast the airflow ports on the head with high-pressure air, to kick out all the little stones & debris that collects around the spark plugs, prior to loosening them. Places to point the air hose into are: directly into the plug area from the center of the head; directly into the exhaust port area; directly into the intake port area. Repeat.

The plastic "cap" (stick coil) puller in the toolkit is pretty flimsy, and a poor fit, especially after it has been used a few times. After slipping its lips into the grooves on the outer (top) end of the coil, squeeze GENTLY to lock the lips into place, and pull STRAIGHT out. This may require a little "gentle persuasion" if they haven't been pulled in a long time. They will "pop" when removing or re-installing.
(If you don't get a small pop when re-installing, the cap/coil may not be fully seated.) If you are a believer in dielectric (silicone) grease on the booties, make sure it stays on the rubber only and doesn't get migrated onto the actual connection.

The after-market metal pullers area better fit and will last forever. While not especially cheap, as with any good-quality tool, you only have to buy it once.

Don't try to pull the cap without a proper tool - they are easily damaged.

The coils are pretty expensive; are you sure one or both has a problem?
Test (one at a time): depress the little retainer on the 3-wire connector at the top (outer end) of the coil and remove it. (No this will not damage the ignition system.) If the motor displays zero change when idling, yes that coil is nfg.
Note that this works only for the stick coils - if you remove the lower/outer plug wires, that may damage those coils. Disconnecting the primary side of those coils is a bit of a PITA due to their remote buried location.

Last edited:
Stick coils.....

The job is looking less intimidating than I originally thought. I did order an aftermarket puller, just to be safe, and already have some thin-walled sockets for the plugs. Coils are on order from BeemerBoneyard, and I hope they have more life left than those I'm removing. -g-
I don't usually gamble and buy parts before having a firm diagnosis, but wasn't sure of test procedures. Symptoms are slow cranking when cold and a rough idle until the engine warms up. I have to help it along with the throttle or it will die before warming up. Once it heats up, it runs great, except it begins to feel a little rough at higher speeds (80+ mph). Coils? I suppose we'll see. Anyway, thanks for the help!

Back