• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brake fluid, etc

Why do you have to change your fluids annually on a motorcycle when a car does not require the same?

Bikes have much less fluid, and its confined to a much smaller area. You don't really need to change it every year. IMHO I change mine every 2 to 3 years, and have never had a problem. But I ride alot...sitting is hard on fluid.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air. Moisture causes corrosion. My BMW recommends 2 year flush.

I flush my cars, too, at about the same frequency, and the brakes on the boat trailer.

If you don't flush, you'll get corrosion, but I bet that it would take a LONG time to cause a serious issue.

Why do you have to change your fluids annually on a motorcycle when a car does not require the same?

The last "car" caliper I bought was $45, for a Nissan Frontier pickup actually. The current price for a front caliper on my R1150R is $666 MSRP. That's why I change it.

Side note:As the Brembo factory is in Mexico it's no doubt that the high labor costs there lead to the $$$$$$$$$price tag!:dunno

Actually - my BMW cars (and my R1200R) both call for a flush at a 2 year interval starting with the date of manufacture of the vehicle. The Porsche I recently picked up appears to use the same 2 year interval.

Given the cost of an ABS modulator on a modern BMW - it's very cheap insurance. And it gives you a chance to bond with the bike.. :)

:thumb

My Silverado does not call out changing the brake fluid, but my Mazda does. I flush them both every few years.

But, my BMW shop mechanic has been keeping track of which bikes get flushed and which ones do not, and he says he can not see a difference in brake seal failures. It seems like good practice, but it is hard to tell if it makes a difference.

Scott

One of the reasons for changing brake fluid is that since it attracts moisture, the boiling point of the fluid is severely compromised the longer it is in the bike.

Now if you live in Kansas or you never really use your brakes hard over a several minute period of time, no problem.

But, if you ever REALLY use your brakes hard (track days, pushing near the limit in the twisties, going down long set of switch backs) you run the risk of brake loss from fluid boil (as opposed to pad fade from pad overheating).

Had that happen several years ago with a bike that I had bought and had not yet changed fluid in. SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!!!(or at least MOST of it). Changed fluid , no more problem.

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Back