• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wind Buffeting Driving Me Crazy '99 K1200RS

brprider679

I have a 1999 K12RS with a tall Parabellum screen. The wind is still hitting me helmet high and the noise is terrible. Does anyone know of a product to add to the screen that will push the wind up and over my head? Already tried a Laminar Lip. It did not help one bit.

Thanks

Earplugs.

Seriously. I have K75Ss and the windscreens on them are better known as "Wind Noise Generating Devices".

I never used to wear earplugs because I thought "I need to hear EVERYTHING" to be safe.

Finally, I tried the yellow foam roll up plugs and OH MY GOD what a difference!!!!

They block out that tiring wind noise yet you can still hear horns and sirens and things that you NEED to hear.

It's also way better for your hearing not to be exposed to 80-90 db of wind noise for hours on end.

Try it. Those plugs can be bought at any hardware store for 5 pair for $2. If you don't like them, you can then go spend a few hundred on a new screen that will make a SLIGHT difference on where the noise hits.

:dance:dance:dance

I agree with 98lee, but then I'm a bit biased in that regard....:whistle

Seriously, try going back to the stock screen and get your head in clean air. I actually cut 2.5 inches off my stock screen to get the air to hit my upper chest on my '04RS

If NOISE is the problem (and it is a real danger on all bikes with all helmets) then ear plugs are the solution. Experiment with different brands and be sure you learn how to install them properly.

If BUFFETING is the problem (meaning your vision is affected) then a different windscreen, or the same windscreen at a different angle, is needed. That can take a LOT of experimenting. At least it did for me, back when I rode a Honda CB750.

My K75 came with an RS fairing, installed by the PO. That stock little screen certainly didn't buffet my helmet but I didn't like all that air pressure against my chest. The Aeroflow wind screen solved the problem with no buffeting - but still had bugs all over the faceshield. Thought of getting a taller screen, but first created an extension with cardboard and duct tape to see if I would like it. No bugs, but also no air flow, so intolerably hot in the summer. Lived with the bugs.

Current K100RS has the stock little screen plus a Laminar Lip installed by the PO. Found it about as effective as the Aeroflow screen (which I still have) with LOTS more sight distance over the top. Still live with bugs on the faceshield.

If you still have the original windscreen, I agree with trying it again. Since you already have a Laminar Lip, might also try that on the original screen. You can't "learn to live" with buffeting which which distorts your vision.

Best of luck.

What windshield do you have? I agree with ear plugs. Changes the whole riding experience.

brprider (BTW - what's your name? We're friendly sorts here..)

I've added the year/model of your bike to the thread title. This is useful info for anyone browsing the tech forums who might have something to add, or might be seeking the same info. PLEASE consider doing this yourself when posting to the tech areas..

And what's your name? Be hard to find you at a rally by BRPRIDER679.. (your sig is a good way to ID yourself, you can add your name and some bike info..)

I had an 01 K1200RS with what I believe was the comfort screen with a laminar lip. I thought it worked well for me, although I have also heard others did not like the same setup. Is the screen manually adjustable on the '99. The '01 was, and it worked well enough in either position. On mine, there was a small range of adjustment in the bars. Would that help at all? I did like that one a lot better than one I test rode with the stock small screen. Sometimes, I find just changing the helmet helps for wind noise, depending on the bike, however if it is buffeting, that may not help much.

Dimensions?

Just a few personal attributes might help others relate or give an opinion. I am 6', with a 33" inseam. My Corbin seat puts me about equal to the stock Low position. My RS's screen is an Aeroflow 'tall'. Anytime other than on straight roads looking way out in front, I need the screen in the down position. When in the up position, I can see over it for high speed travelling and get a little turbulent flow at speeds over 75. I ALWAYS wear earplugs.

I have not used the Parabellum so I don't know the angle or shape and am not sure if the Parabellum retains the up and down action of the stock screen as the Aeroflow does. How far above the screen is your line of sight? If more than a couple inches, maybe your height is greater than intended for the screen. If you tried the laminar lip and that did not help, you may need a 'custom cut' extra tall?
Good luck finding what you need.

03 RS here.
Started with Comfort screen and liked it better in the down rather than the up position. Ride with ear plugs nearly all the time. Always had some of the low booming sounds, like when you hold a deflector down on a sunroof. Switched to the standard shield and liked it in the down position as well.

Learned that different jackets and neckwear affect that lower tone sounds.
Helmet. Switched from Shoei TZ-R to Shoei X12. The X12 has more wind noise that is like a fan blowing pr noisy air vent, but far less of the low tone noise. It is also far better in being smoother in bumpy air.

Switched to a shorter Ztech shield. It dumps the air at chin level and on shoulders. Very different feel but also comfortable.

Try different windshields (ask around as many others I am sure also have different ones and it just take a couple of minutes to change them). I find it is overall quieter and smoother to be in the air stream than half in half out. The helmets make a difference of the feel on this. Jackets and gear make a difference on quietness as well.

The ear plugs I have found that I like the best are the Fluents in the green color. I get mine from Wally world.

NCS

Last edited:
Back