• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gear oil drain plug over-torque '93 K75S

ghyber

1993 K75S

OK, I had my first and last (hopefully) senior moment last night and would like to solicit your opinion on the drain bolt over-torque event I created.

After draining the transmission gear oil, I replaced the drain plug with a new crush washer. I set the torque wrench to 20 NM but really it was 20 Ft-Lbs, I didn't have my darn glasses. The required gear drain plug torque is: 20 +/- 3 NM. So in actual case, I applied 27 NM instead of 20 NM or the max allowable 23 NM. I actually stopped torquing when the wrench gave the audible click, but I had already started getting the "uncomfortable" this seems weird feeling. :brow

It's been a few years since I wrenched, but I do remember from way back when that torque values are posted as accurate on dry bolts only. Lubrication of any kind skews the tightening torque value actually applied. Gear drain plugs are obviously always lubricated. So, with that in mind, my over torque may be even greater than 4 NM.

So what is your take on my stupidity, I mean, brain fart, considering the size of the drain plug and the metallurgy of the transmission case? In other words, do you think an over-torque of 4 - 8 NM will equate to internal thread damage to either the gear casing or magnetic drain plug?

Last edited:
Since the plug is steel and the trans case is aluminum, there is no chance that you damaged the plug.

There is a chance that the threads in the tranny case have started to deform (strip). But there's not any easy way to tell. Hopefully, what you felt was the deformation of the crush washer.

What I would do is back off the plug and retorque it to the low side of the torque spec. You want to do that now, while it is still easily broken loose. Otherwise you could have problems breaking it loose in a year or two and possibly cause more strain to the threads.

If it doesn't leak after being retorqued, relax and don't worry about it. If it does, worst case, you could put a heli-coil in it.

:dance:dance:dance

I thought of loosening the drain plug. However, if I go ahead I believe I should go all the way, dump the oil and replace the crush with a new one as it will have flattened and releasing it may also lead to some oil leaks. What do you think?

Just try loosening and retightening. Crush washers on drain plugs (unlike brake lines) can usually be used a couple of times. What's the worst that could happen? Just a slight seep.

It's probably going to be fine. If it leaks, THEN replace washer.

You don't need to drain, just put your finger in the hole while you swap washers with your other hand. Replace plug ,tighten, wipe off, top off.

:dance:dance:dance

I'd forgeddaboutit until the next service. The extra 7Nm isn't going to make a bit of difference IMHO. If it's not leaking, it's fine. If it needs work (which IMHO it won't) worry about that at your next service next year.. :)

BTW - added the year/model to the thread title. It's a shame users can't edit their own thread titles, but that's Vbulletin for you..:)

I followed your advice(s) and let off the drain plug without removing the plug. I retightened and that's the end of this first lamentable maintenance action on my part. But, it won't be the last time I make mistakes, that I am sure. However, I refuse to shy away from tinkering on the fine piece of German liquid cooled engineering.

Thanks for the input and words of wisdom.

BTW, I was extremely surprised to see the color of the drain gear oil: it was almost jet black! Is that normal for hypoid gear oil? And is it me or does used gear oil ever wreak? :hungover

Now I am tempted to dump the final drive oil and take a peek at the drive splines. Then, it will be bleeding the brakes. I need some input on those gizmos that help with the bleeding of brakes.

I followed your advice(s) and let off the drain plug without removing the plug. I retightened and that's the end of this first lamentable maintenance action on my part. But, it won't be the last time I make mistakes, that I am sure. However, I refuse to shy away from tinkering on the fine piece of German liquid cooled engineering.

Thanks for the input and words of wisdom.

BTW, I was extremely surprised to see the color of the drain gear oil: it was almost jet black! Is that normal for hypoid gear oil? And is it me or does used gear oil ever wreak? :hungover

Now I am tempted to dump the final drive oil and take a peek at the drive splines. Then, it will be bleeding the brakes. I need some input on those gizmos that help with the bleeding of brakes.

Did you install the previous gear oil? What color was it? If not, who did?

I always use a moly gear oil additive and what I pour in goes in black. K75s don't have greased, sealed bearings like some R11xx bikes, which can make gear oil suddenly a muddy brownish black when the grease seals leak and the grease washes into the gear oil.

I'd guess there is moly in the gear oil.

Did you install the previous gear oil? What color was it? If not, who did?

I always use a moly gear oil additive and what I pour in goes in black. K75s don't have greased, sealed bearings like some R11xx bikes, which can make gear oil suddenly a muddy brownish black when the grease seals leak and the grease washes into the gear oil.

I'd guess there is moly in the gear oil.
Man, you guys are good! I just spoke with the former owner, and he changed the gear oil two years ago (hardly covered any kilometres) and added MOTUL GEARBOX mineral oil with is reinforced with molybdenum bisulphide which happens to be brownish black right out of the can. Bravo Zulu! You guys are on fire!:dance

Back