Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1978 R100/7 Flat top Carburetor Rebuild

kmkahuna

1978 R100/7 Flat top Carburetor Rebuild

Okay, gang, here we go with the complete disassembly and rebuild of two Flat top, Bing CV Carburetors off of VIN# 6147992. Carb numbers are 64/32/223 and 64/32/224 respectively.
    http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/...tor%20Rebuild/

Before....

And after the initial disassembly...

The details are all on the website above... One unique aspect of the Flat Tops though, is that you have to warm up the nylon diaphragm holder...the Bing tech said just use a light bulb, and it worked like a charm!

Kurt,

Did you mark the butterfly position on the throttle shaft as they were originally assembled? The edges of the butterflies are specially chamfered so they close tightly upon the veturi walls. If not try to mark them with a light scribe or crows-foot in their original position. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

-Mike V.
    Last edited by 30064; 04-06-2011 at 03:56 AM.
    Mike V. / San Diego
    MOA#30064 / ABC#11027
    78 R100/7 [orig. owner] / 81 R65 [restored]
    ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO / http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs

kmkahuna
    Quote Originally Posted by 30064 View Post
    Kurt,

Did you mark the butterfly position on the throttle shaft as they were originally assembled? The edges of the butterflies are specially chamfered so they close tightly upon the veturi walls. If not try to mark them with a light scribe or crows-foot in their original position. Keep us posted on how things turn out.

-Mike V.
    Yep, Mike, I marked them....now, we wait...
    http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/...tor%20Rebuild/

kmkahuna

Kits are here.

Got the kit from BING today, and finished carb #223 tonight:

Boiled the nylon diaphragm collet and it popped on no problem:

Don't forget the silicone grease and tape on the threads when the O-rings go on... Notice the cool list that Bing gives you identifying each o-ring..

Main Jet, aux starter circuit and the throttle shaft in...

Still need to set up the floats correctly tomorrow, but got the left side done besides that..

Lots more pictures on my photobucket website... Nite all.

kmkahuna

Float adjustment and measurement

Searched the forum for the proper, safe way to adjust the tang on the floats, read through Snowbum's extensive, extensive.....Extensive, explanations, and cannot find something like "The best way to bend the tang is to....blah blah blah...."... Anyone out there that can tell me, after I put the carbs on today and check the flow when they are in the correct position, the proper way to bend the float tang so it's parallel to the carb body?

Quote Originally Posted by kmkahuna View Post
    "The best way to bend the tang is to....blah blah blah...."
    I don't know that I've seen anything, but maybe..."carefully"! I would consider using say two needle nose pliers and grab the flat portion that's between the pivot pin and the float itself, at either end of the tab. Then use the pliers to make the adjustments on the tab by rotating your wrists in or out to bend the tab. I wouldn't push or pull on the float at all.

I noticed you went back with the white floats. Bing sells, for more $$, gray floats which are direct replacement for the white ones. The gray floats are alcohol proof.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

For me, I like to get 22mm of fuel in the float bowl when it is held level and I measure to the bottom of the little ring in the center of the bowl.......Some folks go with 27mm and some as little as 18........

I use a small screwdriver to pry the small tang open or close........yes, a very small needle nose will work to close it up................

This parallel business is to confusing for this dyslexic old guy to figure out upside down as I bend over, so I find a measurement works best for me.

YOU are getting there......FANTASTIC.......God bless.......Dennis

Kurt,

I take a piece of clean fuel line and attach one end to the carb, the other in my mouth. While holding the carb upright, gently blow into the tube while carefully lifting the float. When the top of the float gets parellel with the carb base, air from your mouth should stop flowing from the fuel line. If not, adjust the tab accordingly.

Make sure the float moves easily and freely on the hinge pin, take up any excessive adjacent movement in the float at the hinge pin by CAREFULLY squeezing the float hinge with a pair of needle nose pliars decreasing the diameter of the hinge.

Might sound silly but this has worked perfectly for me and I don't have to make messy measurements or have fuel all over the shop with multiple carb bowl removals and reinstallations. This tip was given to me by an experienced old Airhead. Good previous tips on adjusting the tabs in the previous threads.
    Mike V. / San Diego
    MOA#30064 / ABC#11027
    78 R100/7 [orig. owner] / 81 R65 [restored]
    ABC-MOA-AMA-VBMWMO / http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs

kmkahuna

Vroom!

Just filled up with fresh gas, and pulled the left bowl to check the float, and it's dead on level... Took the bike around the block and whoooom! Wow, what a difference squeaky clean carbs make! Now, I've got to balance them and we're in business. Thanks so much for the advice guys, I know just what to do if I do need to adjust that tab now.

My next ominous problem is a mechanical bucking in second gear....when under torque, the bike will buck right at 2800 rpm, and one or two more times as the rpms go up. It's only in second gear too... Note, I did NOT rebuild the tranny on this bike. I did fill and swish with kerosene and the magnetic plug only picked up small shavings, nothing big. Anyway, will drain the gear oil at 100 miles after this rebuild and see if anything else it in there.

The "float parallel to the body" setting might be a starting point, but Dennis referred to the proper way. You want a certain height of fuel in the bowl. Fill the bowl, turn off the petcock, and then drop the bowl. Snowbum says to measure the height of the gas right in the center of the bowl. For the 32 mm carburetors, use 24 mm fuel height.
    For the 40 mm carburetors, use 28 mm fuel height.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Thumbs up Well Done!!

Kurt,

Excellent photo's!!

Isn't it amazing how well the Airheads run when the Carbs are correct??
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

kmkahuna

Carb tuning...

Quote Originally Posted by Radar41 View Post
    Kurt,

Excellent photo's!!

Isn't it amazing how well the Airheads run when the Carbs are correct??
    Thanks, Radar41; yes, it pulls very strong on the freeway now. I still need to synchronize them:Here's my 4$homemade tool: from Hugh Kenney's airhead post:
    http://www.airheads.org/content/view/183/98/

Note: I had a lot more kerosene in there...all the way up to that half way mark on the yardstick..
    One tube, a yardstick, and kerosene. Only problem is: the kerosene gets sucked up and into the carbs. And yes, I mean sucked up 3 feet! I figure it's because of the viscosity of the fluid, but I hesitate to use anything thicker: I don't want to gum up the hard work I just did, or have smoke billowing out into the neighborhood.. Any suggestions? I figure I can either borrow someone's synchronizer, or figure out a better fluid...maybe that guicci looking one that fourcats has on this thread??
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=51998

Great work Kurt........Totally rare for a guy to come on here and actually do the work you have done so well........

For me, I use ATF. That's automatic transmission fluid........The viscosity seems to work and not move much and I like the red color that makes it easier to read for these old eyes..............My tubing is perhaps 10 feet per leg so that is a very long way to suck; but truly this has never been a problem as it only moves an inch or so...........Anyway good work Bud.........God bless......Dennis

Smile $4 Carb sync tool

Quote Originally Posted by DennisDarrow View Post
    For me, I use ATF. That's automatic transmission fluid........The viscosity seems to work and not move much and I like the red color that makes it easier to read for these old eyes

Dennis
    Kurt,

I too use ATF (red color), but mixed it about 10% with 90 W gear lube , slows the movement a bit.
    Don "Radar" Wreyford
    00 K1200LT, 98 R1100GS AE, 84 R100RS, 76 R75/6
    MOA # 91738, RA #27032 , ABC #7915 - "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

kmkahuna

Two stroke motor oil!

Quote Originally Posted by Radar41 View Post
    Kurt,

I too use ATF (red color), but mixed it about 10% with 90 W gear lube , slows the movement a bit.
    This is Hugh Kenny's source for the cheap manometer...
    http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp
    He used two stroke motor oil, in the "remote" chance that it's ingested.... Let's rephrase that to "Likely" in my case...
    Will try the 2 stroke oil this week..
    Attached Images Attached Images