• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

waterproof pants that aren't overpants

briana

I'm looking for a new pair of pants. Ideally they would be waterproof pants that aren't overpants. I would wear LD comfort shorts under them if it's warm or tights if it's cold. Maybe something similar to the Klim Traverse pants. What other pants would fit this description. I'm trying to get away from the bulkiness of overpants.

Brian

I have the BMW Comfort Shell pants and love them! I wear them year round and have never had a problem with leaks. I have about 30K miles on this pair over the past 18months. and they are holding up great!

Tough one Brian, if it is waterproof it won't breath. There is a lot of talk of the whatever TEX gear. For it to work well, from my experience, it has to be less humid outside the garment than inside. This is why a product made out of say Gore Tex works so well for X-country skiing-very dry outside by comparison. HTH Gary

Here's something to think about...

I have a pair of Firstgear HT overpants. Yes, they're "over" pants, and come with a lining. Honestly, if you wore those over a regular pair of pants with the liner in, you could probably wear them in sub-zero weather.

Anyway, I removed the liner immediately, and often wear them in spring and fall over my normal workpants when commuting. Often, in the summer months, on longer rides, I wear them over undies. Very comfortable, too, and waterproof.

So, just because they say "OVER" pants, doesn't mean they don't work just fine "OVER" shorts or "OVER" tightie-whities.

I've used goretex and nylon and the best I've found that breath well are frogg togs.

Aerostich Darien pants, fit like relaxed jeans, wear mine with shorts or fleece tights. They have both hip and knee pads.

I do very well with the Olimpia Moto-X wearing them just as you described

Firstgear TPG Escape pants! They are not over pants but pants. They are waterproof but they breath to let out moisture. They use their own goretex type material to make that happen, not a rain liner like most that won't breath. They have air vents to unzip in the thighs. They have inner pants to wear as a destination layer for cold weather. They have the new d3o armor in the knees and hips along with a Kevlar blend in the material on impact areas. They have adjustable waist straps. They will set you back $329 if you pay full retail. I never have paid that and have always been able to buy them at 10-15% off. I have the previous TPG pant that had most the same features except the new armor and I like them so much I bought the new upgraded pants. I have worn them in temps from 30's to the mid 90's. The quality of the materials and finish of their gear is excellent. I have compared to Dainese and BMW and they are on par with those brands in all areas. The TPG line is better than anything Olympia or Tourmaster has to offer. That is simply because those brands rely on waterproof liners that are like wearing garbage bags, they are hot and don't breath. BTW Dainese, Alpinestars and Rev It use liners as well until you step into their $400 range pants. Check them out online and if you don't have a dealer near you order from Revzilla and they offer one free return on size. They do fit pretty true to size but you may be like me where you are in between.

Oh, and they make women's cuts! My wife loves hers and she is a fashion over function type.

Bash me if you will. Tourmaster Quest Pants. They ARE NOT over pants. They're cut like jeans and have armor in the knees and hips. When it's warm, these pants can be pretty hot. When it's hot, they can be even hotter.

Waterproof Pants

I have a pair of Frank Thomas Aquapore pants that breath and keep me dry. Absolutley amazing technology. I bought the Frank Thomas Aquapore jack that zips to the pants and only wear my rain suit on cold rainy days.

Try TPG pants from First Gear. When matched with the Kathmandu jacket (they zip together) you won't get cold or wet. When it's hot were an under armour long sleeve T-shirt or the LD long sleeve turtleneck, get it good a wet, then open the air vents to the jacket (front & back). You will be riding in air-conditioned comfort. When you stop for gas and the guy the next pump over who is wearing a short sleeve cotton T-shirt and drinking a gallon of water because of dehydration, you will just gas and go. And you will have protection if you do happen to go down.

Recently I purchased a used Comfort Shell suit, and am looking for washing and waterproofing instructions. In 30,000 miles what have you done successfully?
Mark

I have the BMW Comfort Shell pants and love them! I wear them year round and have never had a problem with leaks. I have about 30K miles on this pair over the past 18months. and they are holding up great!

I have some Rev'It Sand pants that have both a water proof and an insulated liner. They are sized as pants - not over pants- and fit me great. Pricey, but you get what you pay for, in my experience.

Best of luck!
Andrew

Back