• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Russell Seat Options

I sent my seat in to Russells yesterday and I'm looking for some feedback regarding the various options they offer. I did go thru all the various posts I could find regarding these seats. The bike in question is a 76 R90 with the small tank and with a greatly diminished income staring me in the face in a couple of years, I need to get it right. I've already spent about the same amount as these seats trying to avoid the cost of these seats-really dumb on my part. I've never regretted going first class, but have often regretted going the cheap route.

Specifically, for seat materials, they offer vinyl, velour inserts, leather inserts and all leather. The leather looks the classiest to me and if you only have to oil it once or twice a year, that seems a small price to pay. I don't ride in the rain unless it can't be help-I assume you could just slip over the rain cover and be fine. Does anyone have anything bad to say about the leather?

In sewing patterns they offer-small squares, small diamonds, large diamonds, rectangles and a half moon. Here, I'm at a lost. The rectangles look the least comfortable. Beyond that I don't know. I do want the bike to look classy, any suggestions here would be most appreciated.

Finally, the back rests, personally I don't like this look, but if it is a real difference maker so far as comfort goes, I'd consider it.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck

you're putting a Russell saddle on your bike, and you're concerned about keeping it looking "classy"? :scratch

Russells are among the very most comfy saddles going, but attractiveness is not their strong suit.

fewer welts and stiches produce a more comfortable saddle, with fewer water intrusion points.

I've had the Russell on my bike for several years now, and went with all leather and the half moon. Have never oiled it, ever. I use regular leather cleaner/conditioner maybe once a year, and its held up like new all this time. Its been in some major downpours, and is no worse for the wear. I sent it back last year to have a heating pad installed, and that was well worth the extra money. Do it right the first time, as shipping and waiting are two costs you don't want to deal with over and over again. I felt that the half moon had the least amount of stitching for any potential leaks, and that after they created the "pocket" it cradled my behind more comfortably without ever sitting on a seam. Whatever they tell you about "break-in" time-forget about it. The combination of their custom foam, and weight-specific internal spring really settles very little. How you get it, wil be how it feels almost forever. Because of their "wings" you'll get lots of support under your thighs and it will take the weight off your tail bone, which causes most of the pain associated with stock seats. But it will also raise you up a good 1.5 to 2 inches higher than you sit now, which will affect your ability to reach the ground. I went from always being able to flatfoot my bike, to being on the balls of my feet, unless I slide up closer to the tank when I stop. The hours and hours of comfort will far over shadow any negatives about this seat. Hope that helps some...

Most comfy:)

Bill Mayer is the founder of this design, by Russell today. Its a great seat. I still have my Bill Mayer built seat, with small 1 inch squares all over the seat area and its the MOST comfy seat I ever had to this day. R100/7 with a third of a million miles on that seat, all by me:). Vinyl or leather is a good choice, both look great. Money an issue, go vinyl. In 10 seats, I've only had one leather seat, it was fine too riding in all weather, all makes. Randy:thumb:thumb

seat pattern

I had the half moon done for my GS. Mainly because of less stiching less leaking hopefully. Really looks good on that bike with two tone grey on top and charcoal on bottom.

I just sent in my R90/6 seat and am going with small diamonds mainly because that is what I had on my R75 that I sold years ago. It is just classy looking. Both with leather inserts.

Good comments from the collective so far...sits ~ 2 inches higher, vinyl cheaper than leather (last longer some might say), half moon minimizes stitching, etc.

I don't think the stitching pattern would have a great impact on comfort, your butt won't know the difference. I think the fewer stitches the better, less seam to open up. Mine is the half moon, it WILL BE A PUDDLE in the rain. My arse never got so wet...you say you don't plan to ride in the rain, who does? The rain cover is more intended for when you aren't on the seat, not sure if would help while riding. You will still be sitting in a water filled depression, more so than a flat plateau shaped stocker. I have resorted to my old camping vinyl rain pants for serious downpours.

And the looks....my RT looks even more like a tractor with a Russell, your R90 will look even worse!!:brow

For a back rest...how much do you tour with a bag on the back seat? I use a dedicated riding bag from Aerostich, it serves as a back rest when strapped on. For local jaunts I don't need a back rest. Now the wife has other thoughts, but she isn't on all that much:hug

But its not about the looks, its about your butt. And the Russell was the best money I have put into the bike (OEM was replaced by Corbin, this is a leap ahead). I have no problem now riding until reserve, previously 90 minutes was a long stretch.

Been there....

I have had 99R11RT with a Russell and went all out... complete leather with a backrest. Loved the seat, never had any issues with it. I did buy a cover for it, as I ride 24/7. Here are a few things that I learned...
1. If you move around in you seat a lot you don't really want velour... you want vinyl, leather incerts or complete leather.
2. I don't like the back rest... it is a pain in a** to get on the bike and it is not that helpful on a long ride for ME. My current bikes don't have a backrest.
3. Vinyl will keep longer in harsh elements than leather.
4. Get the best of all worlds maybe... vinyl with leather incert (the incert is in the butt area were you sit).
5. You cry when you pay for the seat because it is a ton of money but will smile every mile you sit in/on it.
6. Less stiching will allow less water, moisture through the seat; I went with a big pattern rather than the small one... stiching can always come undone and I think like an airhead...less is more.

Bottom line, you have decided on the best seat in the business... everything is compared to it, for a good reason... it is the best, bar none... enjoy it!!

As per Russell's site:
"Leather is easier to keep clean and more water proof than velour, and being a naturally porous material it "breathes" better then vinyl. Protected from the elements and periodically treated to restore its natural oils leather will outlast even the heaviest vinyl."

And...

"3.Now offering the Half Moon. It has the least amount of stitching and is the most water proof."

The rain cover is more intended for when you aren't on the seat, not sure if would help while riding.

My only complaint with my leather Russell is that the rain cover is not a good tight fit. With the rain cover on, I slide about on the seat, which after several hundred miles becomes very tiring. Overall, yes the seat allows me to ride long days in comfort.

Try used

I bought an old (?leather?) Russell seat for my /6 of of ebay (or maybe Airmail classifieds) for $150 last year. It is super comfortable and in great condition. It is especially great for two-up, as the passenger does not slide forward on the bench and bang helmets with me on stopping. It does look less than sleek. For around town daily riding, I prefer the original bench seat, but for long days in the saddle or two-up; the Russell can't be beat. And the price was right.
Theo Marks
'74 R75/6
'88 R100RS

Bill Mayer is the founder of this design, by Russell today. Its a great seat. I still have my Bill Mayer built seat, with small 1 inch squares all over the seat area and its the MOST comfy seat I ever had to this day. R100/7 with a third of a million miles on that seat, all by me:). Vinyl or leather is a good choice, both look great. Money an issue, go vinyl. In 10 seats, I've only had one leather seat, it was fine too riding in all weather, all makes. Randy:thumb:thumb

actually, it was not Bill (Rocky) at all, but his father that was involved with the original design. Look at one of Bill's current saddles- bears no resemblance whatsoever to a Russell.

My Russell Day Long

I have a custome seat with no extra stitching.
I rub w/ Mink oil once a year.
I LOVE it.

Attachments

• JB Bike Nov2011.jpg
    JB Bike Nov2011.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 166
Just found the mink oil...yes it is Kiwi.

I also spray with Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner during the summer between major mink oil goop ups.

Back