• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

07 R1200GS Side Stand Kill Switch

Moto316

Does anyone know how to remove and dis-connect the side stand kill switch? A short in the wiring caused a friends bike to not work because of this fault, so I was thinking I should remove mine and prevent this from happening. Thanks for any help, thoughts, ideas that you have.

Probably Not a Good Idea

Hate to start the bike in gear assuming the stand will hold the bike up. Could cost a lot of expensive tupperware.

Does anyone know how to remove and dis-connect the side stand kill switch? A short in the wiring caused a friends bike to not work because of this fault, so I was thinking I should remove mine and prevent this from happening. Thanks for any help, thoughts, ideas that you have.
Yikes! This came up a while ago in the Oilhead forum and I was able to find the thread. http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=50357&highlight=side+stand I'd hate to see you do it. I'd rather see you work with it so you know how to test it should it become suspect. Gary

Learn how to bypass the switch in case it goes bad. Then you will be prepared if anything happens, but will still have the advantage of a working switch in the mean while.

The full procedure is well documented here.

+1 on the three posted comments. My RTP does not have the switch. I never start my bikes unless I am sitting on them with the clutch engaged. However, on a couple of occasions, I did take off on Hilda with the side stand down and was very lucky I did not dump her on my first 'left'.

'07 here too;

I rehooked mine up, but it did fail once and I hotwired the switch, no issue. The wiring unplugs at the switch on the sidestand itself and a hot wire and tape satisfies the situation temporarily or permanently if one wishes. I did mine back to stock, for safety and my older age:). I am likely to forget the stand! Randy:thumb

A different twist

We were headed out this morning, I was on my '09 GSA. I started the bike and everytime I tried to put the bike in gear it would die. Sidestand was up, so I worked it up and down a few times to see if it was just "sticking". Have ridden the bike just about every day for the past few weeks with no issues.

Still wouldn't stay running so pushed it back inside and grabbed another bike:thumb

Tonight I put it up on the stand and plugged in the 911 to see what the stand was doing. It said it was in the extended position no matter what. Upon further inspection, noticed the switch had slid way back off the stand post. There seemed to be a lockring missing, but the washer was still there due to some grease I had used some time back.

So, came in and looked on parts fiche...doesn't show one with stand hardware or pin, but does after the switch assy in the various switches page.

When I saw the pic of the lockring pic below, I had an aha moment as I had found one of these on the shop floor last week. Of course I set it in the Misc loose parts bin on the workbench...I walked out a few minutes ago to assure myself I did.

Glad it didn't give me trouble last month on my West Coast run...I can jumper it out as I carry stuff to do it., but what a PITA on the side of the road!

Attachments

• lockring.jpg
    lockring.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 115
Thats the bugger!

Those tiny little clips are a pain alright. I drilled my pin and put a cotter pin in it, easier to use:). Tiny drill bit works well. The hot wire the switch is a quite easy deal too, if stranded and I carry thin plain wire with me always for whatever, in my toolkit. The wiring harness separates at the switch if you look carefully at it and thats where you hot wire it:). Randy:usa

Great idea Randy, I have a new side stand pin sitting in a bag anyways.

Neither set of my ring pliers would open that tiny clip due to it's size, had to work it on with a small screwdriver. I guess I need to add a set of micro ring pliers into my roll around.
I had thought that little ring fell out of a leaking/trashed slave cylinder I had replaced on another bike...glad I didn't chunk it in the trash.

Back