• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Need A Little Help

greenwald

A newer member was referred to me via the MOA Office, and asks questions that I am not qualified to answer.

He will be spending this summer in Italy and intends to purchase an R1200RT.

Better for him to purchase here in the USA and ship over, or purchase there, and bring it back with him in September???

Help!

Thanks - Kevin

Buying in Europe and importing to the US may be a bit tricky because the Euro versions have different exhaust systems (no carbon canister to absorb fuel fumes), speedo/odo in km.

The Euro is at a high of $1.41 so, economically, this is not a bargain.
Insurance is extremely expensive since he has no estanlished record of safe driving (some insurance companies give 60% discount for safe drivers while novices with no record start at 175% of the full premium.

He should contact Stefan Knopf at knopftours@aol.com about title, license and insurance. Stefan has a bike rental business and provides title and insurance for Americans who ship their bikes over to ride in Europe. He also ships bikes back and forth across the Atlantic.

I would consider a long-term rental or buy a used bike in Europe and sell again before I leave.

A newer member was referred to me via the MOA Office, and asks questions that I am not qualified to answer.

He will be spending this summer in Italy and intends to purchase an R1200RT.

Better for him to purchase here in the USA and ship over, or purchase there, and bring it back with him in September???

Help!

Thanks - Kevin

Kevin,
There are a huge number of personal & timeframe variables and options in this decision process, which you and/ or member haven't specified.

BTW: "buying in EU/ Italy, then importing to US" is much more than a "bit tricky;" it is closer to impossible or so cost-ineffective as to be so.
Yes, http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Hello.html, is an excellent resource, depending on the member's situation. Stefan provides many services, but not "title."

If you want, have the member email me or the office forward his email:
court.fisher(at)att.net

Court

Kevin,
There are a huge number of personal & timeframe variables and options in this decision process, which you and/ or member haven't specified.

BTW: "buying in EU/ Italy, then importing to US" is much more than a "bit tricky;" it is closer to impossible or so cost-ineffective as to be so.
Yes, http://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Hello.html, is an excellent resource, depending on the member's situation. Stefan provides many services, but not "title."

If you want, have the member email me or the office forward his email:
court.fisher(at)att.net

Court

Thanks - I forwarded him your information.

I would recommend he contact a BMW dealer or BMW USA to buy a US spec bike at the factory or some european dealer, ride it and deliever it back to BMW to be imported as a used bike...ie less duty.

BMW did this in the past...not sure about them doing it now.

Back