• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1300R- '09 oil change

pholmes

K1300R Alberta
Hey guys

I'm a new member and new to BMW so please be patient!
I have 1000k on my new 09 K1300R and decided to day to do a oil change today since the snow is melting (finally). I should have taken it to the dealer for its 1000k check up but thats a long way away and i wont be able to hit the highway till june at this rate missing valuable riding time! Figured what the hell, i do it on my car, what could go wrong!
Anyway i drained the oil from the engine, removed the oil filter no problem.
Whats getting me is the oil is not draining from the fill reservouir. The bike says its still full in the little level indicator pipe.
I thought the oil should drain thru the engine but it seems to be hung up.
Looking a little closer at the manual it says if the engine hasn't been used lately (and cold) it could get hung up in the sump.
Any ideas?
I could suck the oil out ot the reserviour but what then, if i cant refill and get the oil into the engine i'm pretty much screwed???

K1300R (09) oil change

Hey guys

I'm a new member and new to BMW so please be patient!
I have 1000k on my new 09 K1300R and decided to day to do a oil change today since the snow is melting (finally). I should have taken it to the dealer for its 1000k check up but thats a long way away and i wont be able to hit the highway till june at this rate missing valuable riding time! Figured what the hell, i do it on my car, what could go wrong!
Anyway i drained the oil from the engine, removed the oil filter no problem.
Whats getting me is the oil is not draining from the fill reservouir. The bike says its still full in the little level indicator pipe.
I thought the oil should drain thru the engine but it seems to be hung up.
Looking a little closer at the manual it says if the engine hasn't been used lately (and cold) it could get hung up in the sump.
Any ideas?
I could suck the oil out ot the reserviour but what then, if i cant refill and get the oil into the engine i'm pretty much screwed???

DIY section has it

If you look in the DIY section of the Wedge forum, you will see how it is done on the K1300GT. It will be a tad simpler on your R. You can either let gravity drain it, a slow process I have read, or get an inexpensive hand pump setup or a Mighty-Vac style. The notes in Semper Fi's process are very good and include photos. You don't have the body work to deal with, and since you already did the filter, that part is not an issue. But read through his process and take what you need. You will feel safe and confident to complete your job.

Welcome to the MOA, but....
Wrong forum - your bike is considered a "Wedge".
The wedge forum has plenty of discussion on oil changes. Otherwise, Google is your friend, too.

Best of luck!

welcome pholmes,

I am moving this to the Wedge Forum and combining with your post there and the DIY response from Jim

For your answer, where the soda straw connects to the top of the oil tank is where you have to remove the hose. The drainplug only removes the oil in the sump of the engine
You squeeze the black tabs together in that circle shaped ring and pull gently up . Then work the tube down past the tank to a drain pan...and walk away for a sandwich. It takes a bit to drain completely.
I had my manual sitting here, but I must have moved it. It should give you a picture to go by.

look in the gray title bar above next to the logo as well, I sent you a PM

Last edited:
I suppose to enter a person would need the original bill of sale or really old title, or a Carfax. So, if this materializes folks need to know it will be a category before they leave home.

If you look in the DIY section of the Wedge forum, you will see how it is done on the K1300GT. It will be a tad simpler on your R. You can either let gravity drain it, a slow process I have read, or get an inexpensive hand pump setup or a Mighty-Vac style. The notes in Semper Fi's process are very good and include photos. You don't have the body work to deal with, and since you already did the filter, that part is not an issue. But read through his process and take what you need. You will feel safe and confident to complete your job.

Jim - thanks for the kind words - appreciate it.

OIL CHANGE LINK HERE

K1300S Minor differences - easier

I just finished changing my oil basically following Semper Fi's DIY. It was cake. I used a $7 Fluid Oil Transfer* hand pump from NAPA putting their output poly hose on the 'sucking' side and pumped into my catch pan after following the sump drain and filter removal procedures. For the 1300S, the belly pan does not need to come of. The S pan does not cover the exhaust manifold so the drain plug is easily accessed. For the filter, the peg and stand attachments are all out of the way, though I used a 6" socket extension for the filter wrench, and deflected the top edge of the belly pan just ever so slightly. Everything else is the same.

Thanks again Semper FI!

*which it turns out is almost identical to the pumps that come with each gallon of shampoo and body wash we use at the Inn. All I really needed was to get the right diameter and length of poly tubing. I have a ton of these pumps if anyone wants one, send a PM

Back