• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Opinions on the Funduro?

georgej

What is the general consensus on the Funduro from those of you that own/ride one? I'm thinking of getting one it's a'97 with 21,000 on the clock.All maintenance up to date,new tires,chain and sprockets.Asking price is $2900. I want another bike to ride in addition to my R100RS. I'm also looking at a KLR and a DR650. I like the BMW brand of course.So how do you like your F650?
Thanks,George

Loved it, miss it

Had and'06 F650 GS and it was the MOST fun. Easy to ride (what my wife learned on); easy to maintain (brakes, wheels, chain, oil - dead simple) and utterly forgiving anywhere I took it.

Have an 08' R1200 R. Much more refined and better for my needs now (lots of 2 up riding) but still thinking about getting a newish G650 as a second for the days I need to just whip around town and off dirt roads.

Highly recommended.

What is the general consensus on the Funduro from those of you that own/ride one? I'm thinking of getting one it's a'97 with 21,000 on the clock.All maintenance up to date,new tires,chain and sprockets.Asking price is $2900. I want another bike to ride in addition to my R100RS. I'm also looking at a KLR and a DR650. I like the BMW brand of course.So how do you like your F650?
Thanks,George
Hi George, it looks like you have a chance of getting a fun bike. It generally attracts a bit more attention if you have the model and year in the title, something that is frequently overlooked. In an effort to increase the visibility for you I'll add it to the title. Let us all know how you make out, all those thumpers are a hoot to ride. Good luck, Gary

Great:)

I had a '99 Funduro, my Daughter currently rides a '97F650ST with 50000 miles on it all over the USA without issue. My '99 served me very well, touring too. I have a newer KLR in the garage now. Its a fine bike but a lot less HP than the F650class and I still enjoy the KLR a lot, even with less juice. The KLR, F650 are the best touring bikes anywhere for their size and dual sport and I hve ridden both across the USA. Not fast, road burning bikes, but very worthy, go anywhere. My GSA1200 is a go fast, almost anywhere bike. Its weight is a handicapp for my more serious dirt adventures and I still go there on it, sweat a lot! Anyhow, the older carb Funduro's are fine bikes and many today are getting high miles, including my Daughter's '97 ST650. I miss the '99 I had. Randy:usa

Voni and I each had a '97. We put about 40,000 miles on them. In 2008 we rode them to Alaska and back. We sold them both last year but I've since bought another F650 - this time a 2001 Dakar.

They go fast enough. They go places I wouldn't take a bigger bike. They are light and nimble which is good most of the time and bad only in strong cross winds.

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to look at the bike,then I will make my decision.I'm hoping to talk him down to $2500. I see some KLR's with a lot less miles on them for $2800-$3000,2004's-2006's. I don't think I will be doing much off road riding,maybe some dirt/fire roads.I think the quality of the BMW will beat the KLR.I will keep you posted.
George

Tough decision, I think. I've rented the Funduro for a couple of weeks in Europe, and I own a 09 KLR. (and an 1150GS). I'd put the fun factor about equal between the two 650s. One lingering bad memory with the Funduro was that the seat pushed me forward. I recall two weeks of sitting on the "family jewels" Ouch!! If you find the same fit, you'll probably soon be searching for an after market seat.

Bokrijder

Back