• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2008 r1200rt Fuel gauge malfunction on my way to work.

K

KNEEDRAGGER1200RT

I have riden my rt everyday since the 1st of march this year with no trouble until this morning. Went out started my rt to let it warm up since it is a warm 23 degrees F this morning. I went to take off soon as I got a mile down the road the caution indicator came on telling me I am low on fuel. I know that is not the case I have still over 3/4 of a tank of fuel in the tank. The problem did not affect the fuel delivery to the bike as I finished the ride to work and had no sensation of running out of fuel. Has any one had this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kneedragger
Northern Indiana
2008 R1200RT

Your fuel strip 'puked.'

Chronic problem with the R1200RT's.

A short-lived rumor that BMW would return to the float-style proved to be just that - a rumor.

They have been failing since the '05 models hit the market.

Welcome to the FFSC - "Failed Fuel Strip Club"

Get it replaced at your dealer, but always zero one of your tripmeters when filling up, and decide what range you can rely on (for me, that's a conservative 35 mpg x 7 gallons = 245+ miles), since it may 'puke' again, and you'll have to use the tripmeter for knwoing when to seek out a gas station when touring.

Good Luck! :thumb

Last edited:
thank you to all. I will get a call in to my local BMW dealer. :thumb

March 31st, I'm riding from Toronto to home, about 150 klix, the fuel indicator was showing about 4/10 left with a range of about 200 klix. Highway 401, busy road, just east of Oshawa and she died on me. My new 1200 RT was dead at the side of the road with traffic whizzing by at 120 kph. No cell phone. It was supposed to be a short ride.
So I wait. Before long the police stopped and the officer, also a rider, called for assistance. $45 for a sloppy 4 liters and I was following the pickup to the gas station for a fill up. The word from the dealer is that the fuel strip doesn't like ethanol! Seems to me that BMW ought to know that North American fuels use ethanol. Sounds like BS to me. I've been using trip meter "B" to monitor the fuel consumption since, resetting it at each fill up. I imagine that the strip will be replaced, on warranty, next time she's in for service. I doubt that I'll stop re-setting trip meter "B" each time I fill up.

Yes they ought to know about ethanol. Apparently they or one of their suppliers don't. Don't rely on it. Use your trip meter, or as Voni does sometimes - ride with somebody else who will run out first so uses a trip meter to know when to fill up.

The ethenol talk from the dealer is more "dealer babble" (the need to sound expert even when talking straight out of their as*es..)

If ethanol was the problem it would be hard to understand the failures occuring on bikes not in the US in countries that don't lace their fuel with corn squeezings..

Back